Posted by Eric Tindall on Dec 09, 2019
On Thursday December 05, 2019, Amy Lesemann, visited Ann Arbor North's Lunch, as Bob Specht's guest. She announced her nonprofit that makes a coat that turns into a nap-sake for the homeless.
Read about her fundraiser she mentioned below:
Come to our fundraiser, Warm the People! We are raising money to buy homeless people winter gear! Saturday, January 11, from 3-6 pm at the Riverside Arts Center. 76 N Huron St, Ypsilanti, MI 48197 

How will this work? For your donation at the door, you get four tokens to pick four different mini cups of coffee and tea – try something you’ve never tried before, and vote (with your tokens) on
your favorite brew! At the end of the day, the tokens will be counted: are we a coffee city? an urban hot spot of intelligentsia and even…revolution! Or a tea town? a land of quiet good taste and sophistication! 
Your donation goes toward buying long underwear, hats, gloves, wool blend socks, and …best of all… EMPOWER coats that turn into sleeping bags! Some of you may have heard of these inventions. These are coats made by formerly homeless people working with a Detroit nonprofit. 60% of their time at EMPOWER is spent making the coat, and the other 40% of their time goes toward furthering their education and job skills, as well as any other social services they may need. See their website for more information:
What else? There will be delicious snacks for sale! (want to donate some more? email or There will also be a silent auction! The most amazing things have already been donated.
How can you help? Besides attending our event, you can help out in other ways! We need help soliciting additional businesses for donations for our silent auction. This entails contacting us ahead of time with a business you think might want to donate something (so that we don't call the same place twice), calling the business in question, and arranging a pick-up from the business. We can always use more baked goods (especially vegan and gluten-free options). Finally, we'll need help during the event itself! If you are available anytime from 1-8 pm that day to help set up, take down, register attendees, and/or staff the event, please let us know. 
CONTACT:, 734-972-6964.
Warm the People. Saturday. January 11. 2020. 3- 6 pm. Riverside Arts Center. 76 N Huron St, Ypsilanti, MI 48197.
*This space is wheelchair-accessible. It is one block east of the Ypsilanti Transit Center and is served by most major AATA bus routes.*