Dean said he'd met Chuck Darrow recently and realized he was one of the few remaining who were part of WW II and he had come to speak of his experiences and to give the Club and opportunity to remember those who have served.  Chuck accompanied his talk with film he'd taken on air bases in Britain - grainy but telling images of young men, many of whom did not make it.
Dean said Chuck had been rejected at first but by 1944 he was flying Spitfires with Squadron 416.  He counted 150 hours of combat and stayed in till 1958.  He then turned to business and became a director of the Fighter Pilots Association.  He built his own house on the beach and lives, now, in Penetang.
Chuck described landing by kerosene lamps laid out on the field when coming back late, being bombed by shrapnel explosives, crash landings.  One time he lost a wing on landing, spun and hit a wall.  The coaming had come off and the plane on fire but he climbed out in good shape.  They dropped him putting him in the ambulance and gave him a concussion.
Pilots were issued parachutes which they left on the back of their seats if they knew they were going up again.  After two flights he returned one and discovered that he had been flying with two blankets.  He was charged for the loss but managed to write it off after being strafed.
He enjoyed the Spit - a beautiful aircraft - but it had a short range so they added a belly tank which was supposed to be released after it was empty.  A mate ran out of fuel on the wrong side of the Rhine and was gliding east and happy to see the water beneath him so came down, unfortunately, on the one spot on the west side of the river still held by the Germans.
He was in a dog fight with a flight of 190's which came out of a hole in the clouds to surprise them.  He dodged as they chased him and his plane was hit - in the tail and through the cockpit and between his arm and back so he was still able to land.
Chuck finished by donating Raptors tickets to the Club.
Dean spoke about heroes and losses and told the story of a young Robbie Shawbolt who witnessed the sinking of Corbeau's yacht and, with others from his factory, saved several and redirected others to safety with his strong swimming.  By the time the inquest was being held Robbie was already overseas and subsequently KIA.