Keith introduced Carol Ann Cross-Roen to the group.  Carol Ann presented on the Sunrise Rotary Ride the Road to Reading program.  It is an incentive program, targeted for the Grade Four students, to encourage library use and reading.  Grade 4 is considered a crossroads in terms of library use; the hope is to capture these students so that they will become life-long users of the library. 

Home Page

The prizes include bikes, skate boards, gift cards from Coles, etc.  Last year, the Library Ambassadors presented to 726 Grade 4 students; 146 students thereafter returned to the library, most with their parents.  Past library fines are removed for these children in the hopes of removing any obstacles for future use of the library.  The library would not be able to run this program without the support of Sunrise; the monies provided by Sunrise since the fall of 2008 have off-set the costs of ambassadors and prizes.  Carol Ann thanked the group for our sponsorship and Clare presented to her a cheque to continue the program for the next year. 

Meeting Notes:

• Gordon Wallsmith reported that we have been asked to ‘man/woman’ the Salvation Army Kettles over 2 days at the mall.  Dates are December 3 & 10 from 10 a.m. to 5:45.  Dan will have a sign-up sheet on the website. 
  • There are training dates for the grant application process for the Rotary Foundation.  Contact Glen Christianson if you are interested.  He reminds us that he will not be a perpetual member of the District Grant Application Committee.   
  • Donna and Keith are attending a workshop on November 4, 2011 on how to use casino funds.  Again, if anyone else would like to attend, contact Keith.
  • There is a leadership training program for Rotary.  Contact Keith if you are interested.
  • There is no meeting on November 1, 2011.  In lieu of this meeting, we will be getting together tomorrow night (October 26th, 2011) at 6ish at Sharla’s home 103 Terrace View N.E. (Parkview Drive to 20th Street to Terrace Drive, then Terrace View).  Bring a dish of your choosing.   We will also have a scavenger hunt, during which we will have a car rally. 

Next Meeting November 8