Rotary Youth Exchange students spend up to a year in a different country, attending school, and living with local host families.

Whether it's Rotary's Long-Term or Short-Term Youth Exchange programme, students (age between 16 and 17, six months prior to departure) learn a new way of living, a great deal about themselves, and maybe even a new language.

Our club is actively involved in Youth Exchange. In recent years, we have welcomed students from Australia, Brazil, France, Germany, Holland, Italy (Sardinia), Sweden, Switzerland, and Taiwan. In all, since 1972, we have hosted and/or sponsored 63 students involving 20 different countries. For 2022-23, Rosalia ("Rosie") Chessa was here in Quesnel from Sardinia, Italy, while Katrina Milliken enjoyed an adventurous year in France.

What types of exchanges are available?
There are three types of exchanges:
  • Long-term: This exchange is open to students ages 15-19 and usually lasts 10-12 months. Most students are 16-18 years old during their exchange year. The student lives with more than one family in the host country and is required to attend school. Long-term exchanges may be extended to include part or all of the holiday/vacation periods immediately before or after the academic year.
  • Short-term: This exchange is open to students ages 15-19 and ranges from several days to several weeks. It often takes place when school is not in session, and usually does not include an academic program. Short-term exchanges typically involve a Rotary district-organized exchange of a son or daughter between two families, but they may also take the form of international youth camps or tours that bring together students from many countries.
  • New Generations: This specialized short-term exchange lasts from three weeks to three months and is open to young people ages 18-25. This program may include a vocational element. 
We are already looking for participants for a Long-Term Exchange in 2024-25, so if you or someone you know is interested in an Exchange, please contact local Rotarian Tania Milliken at Tel 250.983.8895 or email TaniaMilliken@telus.net 

For an application, please email Tania at TaniaMilliken@telus.net