York Suburban Students and Superintendent

To view the meeting: https://youtu.be/dmtLXv-IeuY

October 19, 2021 - The Rotary Club of York-East has selected Kirillos Mina and Megan Short, as the York Suburban Students of the Month. The students spoke at the clubs weekly meeting. Megan is a junior honor student who is a member of the National honors Society and loves the theater.  She participates in York County Senior Honors Choir and when not doing homework she swims, co-captain of color guard and directs the Indian Rock variety show. Kirlllos is a senior national honor society member and has been an honor student since his freshman year while winning varies academic awards. Kirillos plans on attending college and is considering majoring in medicine or a related science.   As always, when listening to Students of the Month, club members feel reassured that the future of America is bright.
In addition to the students Doctor Timothy Williams, Superintendent of York Suburban Schools, reviewed the current challenges in the district along with the current topic of critical race theory. School boards, superintendents, even principals and teachers are facing questions about critical race theory, and there are significant disagreements even among experts about its precise definition. Critical race theory is an academic concept that is more than 40 years old. The American Bar Association definition states it is not a diversity and inclusion  “training” but a practice of interrogating the role of race and racism in society that emerged in the legal academy and spread to other fields of scholarship.  Dr. Williams believes students should be able to read whatever they want  with the guidance of the teacher.