East Greenwich Rotary Scholarship Recipients

VISITING ROTARIANS

Assistant District Governor Rona Mann, from the North Kingstown Rotary Club, joined us for lunch today. 

GUESTS

Andy Erickson invited his neighbor and former Cranston Rotarian Paul Swanson, and Anne Marie Charland introduced John Whaley, a Providence attorney. 

BIRTHDAYS/ANNIVERSARIES

Our first ‘happy birthday’ wishes of 2014 go out this week to Lou Lepry (January 1st) and Kathy McMahon (January 4th). 

Happy wedding anniversary this week to Bob (and Trish) Miller, married 31 years ago on January 2nd.  Also, Ron (and Loretta) Winde celebrate their 12th anniversary this week on January 12th.  Congratulations!

ROTARY ANNIVERSARIES

Finally, happy Rotary induction day to several Rotarians this week:  Chub Clement, 35 years on January 2nd; Dave Iannuccilli, 31 years on January 2nd; Bob MacKenzie, 20 years on January 2nd; Honorary Rotarian Earl Shaw, 48 years on January 2nd; Matt D’Agenais, 2 years on January 4th; Bill McHale, 28 years on January 8th; Honorary Rotarian John Eastman, 7 years on January 10th; Stan Reuter, 23 years on January 10th. 

ANNOUNCEMENTS

January is ‘Rotary Awareness Month.’  (So…pay attention!)

President Jodi Gladstone relayed two invitations from clubs in District 7950—one for a Super Bowl dinner in Bridgewater, and the second a Comedy Night in Hingham.  Please see Jodi for more information. 

Jodi passed on reminders for the club’s monthly board meeting at T’s Restaurant (January 10th) and the EG Rotary Scholarship Fund meeting at Re/Max (January 17th).  

There is an upcoming Polio Eradication trip to India which will be managed by the World Health Organization and Rotary.  It’s a ‘pay your own way’ journey, but it’s always booked each year as volunteers pitch in to help wipe out polio once and for all. 

LITERACY COMMITTEE

Karen Taylor is hard at work getting ‘EG Rotary’ labels on books which will be donated to the London Bridge Child Care Center’s library.  The actual delivery day will be announced soon. 

CLEAN WATER/LA ROMANA

Steve Lombardi visited his old friends in the Providence Rotary club last week, and President Jenny Miller announced that she’s looking for help in getting supplies together for a Clean Water trip to the Dominican Republic.  Items Jenny and her travel team will need when they get to La Romana include:  school supplies; sports items such as balls, jump ropes, and bubbles; kids’ underwear, and other clothing items; common over-the-counter medicine, especially for kids.  Please see Steve at the East Greenwich Chamber of Commerce if you’re able to help!   

PRESIDENT’S MINUTE

Past President Ed Neff recalled some high points from his year at the presidential helm in the 2010-2011 Rotary year.  It was a great year for Phonebook, a record year for the Scott Carlson ALS 5K, and Taste of the Town was a huge success.  All in all, Ed noted it was a terrific year for the club’s fundraising efforts. 

Ed also thanked his president-elect, Mike Gemma, for great assistance and energy all year, especially with the seamless relocation of our Wednesday meetings from Post Office Café back to Chiantis. 

Last but not least, he made that year an appointment which was both wise and extremely successful.  New Generations was created that year, as a new Avenue of Service.  Ed had the good fortune and foresight to make, as he put it, ‘perhaps one of our club’s best appointments ever’ when he picked Bill TenEyck for the job.       

HAPPY BUCKS

-John Wolcott was happy to have daughter Sarah visiting from Montana.

-Ed Neff was thrilled to announce that his first grandchild is on the way!

-Bob Miller gave a happy buck for 31 happy years with his ‘best friend and secretary,’ Trish Miller.  

-Chuck Sauer shared some very kind words for the Cogitator editor.  (Thanks Chuck…!)

-Yours truly thanked John Wolcott, aka Santa, for his Christmas-time work with Soozie Sundlun at EG Photo over the past 6 years.  They’re a great team! 

-Jane Boynton thanked Bob Miller for letting her know about ‘Mema’s’ gluten-free food products.

-Ron Winde is ready to be a grandpa for the second time…’any time now!’

-Kathy McMahon had a great time celebrating her first Christmas in Rhode Island. 

-Rona Mann was happy to see President Jodi back, and she was also glad to see the scholarship kids today. 

PROGRAM/SPEAKER

East Greenwich Rotary Scholarship Fund Recipients

Scholarship Fund board member John Wolcott introduced this year’s awardees, while fellow board member Bob Sloan praised the kids who were selected, noting that ‘our future looks bright.’  Bob also handed out checks to the scholarship recipients after they spoke of their specific school and community service activities. 

2010 East Greenwich Rotary Scholarships

Brook MacDonald, now a senior at Providence College, majored in elementary and special education.  She completed one program in student teaching in Cumberland, and goes on to her next experience in Smithfield. 

Jenna Denice, a senior at Boston College, couldn’t attend today’s meeting since she is traveling to Nicaragua for a five-day ‘immersion program.’ 

2011 East Greenwich Rotary Scholarships

Stephanie Huang is attending the University of Chicago.  She will actually spend her junior year at the London School of Economics, where she will work on housing issues in the London residential area. 

Sonali Shah was not present.

2012 East Greenwich Rotary Scholarships

Ivy Shen was not present. 

Ana Opishinski was sick for 2 months recently, but she is getting back on track with her studies in anthropology and history at the University of Rhode Island (URI).  She also took an Egyptian history class as well as a scuba class, all in preparation for future underwater archaeology. 

2013 East Greenwich Rotary Scholarships

Alice Palmer is in her first year at Wellesley College, where she plans to major in biology.  She looks forward to community service work in the days ahead, now that she’s more acclimated to the rigors of college. 

Michael McQueeny managed an impressive 3.49 GPA in his first semester at URI where he will major in engineering.  He also is involved in music charity work to raise funds for a kidney transplant recipient. 

*Note: All East Greenwich Rotary Scholarship awards are $4,000 ($1,000 awarded annually for 4 years).

Personal Achievement Award ($1,000)

Rebecca Nunez attends Bryant University where she plans to major in accounting or finance.  Rebecca is also on the Bryant track team and takes part in student-athlete fundraising efforts.

Community Service Award ($1,000)

Isabella DeSpirito was not present. 

Arthur P. Silverman Award ($500)

Megan Gallagher was not present.

Howard D. Silverman Award ($500)

Elizabeth Wray was not present

Irving A. Silverman Award ($500)

Keri Pallister was not present.

Chuck and Bea Keyes Award ($500)

Anthony Padrazo attends Lasell College in Newton, Massachusetts, and likes the small ‘family-like’ atmosphere.  He was pleased with his 3.0 GPA last semester, and his plan is to major in education with emphasis on history. 

Barbara M. Tufts Award ($1,000)

Natalie Wong will major in business and communications at URI.  Her community service work included a project with terminally ill children. 

Walter G. Barney Award ($1,000)

Dominic Rizzo was not present.

Rocky Hill Award ($1,000)

Angelo Gemma will major in Biology at Holy Cross.  He is involved with the Worcester Youth Center, spending time with, mentoring, and tutoring needy children.  He is also an emergency medical staffer at football and rugby games. 

Erickson Family Award ($2,000)

Ben Fazio was not present.

Erickson Family Award ($500)

Kelsey Wright is doing very well at URI in her first year.  She has a 4.0 GPA, plans to major in bio-chemistry, is involved with orchestra, and will soon join the quiddich team.

Congratulations to all!