URI Clinical Faculty, Jayne Pawasauskas and Kelly Matson (with Mike Neville)

VISITING ROTARIANS/GUESTS

None.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

-President-Elect Ron Winde said that even though the February 27th meeting regarding Project/Charity fundraising was postponed, he is still very interested in the issue.  He also thanked members for their great ideas to date, and told us to ‘stay tuned…’ 

-Ron is also looking forward to his upcoming P.E.T.S. conference (President-Elect Training Session) in New Jersey. 

WINE TASTING/’WINE AND WONDERFUL’

-Jane Boynton was excited to announce that this year’s wine-tasting fundraiser and social event will be promises to be ‘a bit more low key, and, way more fun!’  Get ready to invite family and friends to a great Rotary evening on Friday, May 2nd, at the Swift Community Center.

ROTARACT

-Bill TenEyck announced that the New England Tech Rotaract Club has elected a fine slate of officers for the upcoming year.  The actual installation ceremony will be on March 26th, either at New England Tech or during our regular lunch meeting at Chianti’s.

-Also, Bill was pleased that Choose to Matter was such a hit at East Greenwich High School. 

He hopes to have Teacher-of-the-Year Pat Page and Assistant Principal Tim Chace back to our club to recap their excellent two-day event during which teachers, as well as community and business leaders, encouraged students, reminding them that they do indeed matter, and yes, they can indeed help change the world for the better.

HAPPY BUCKS

-Kathy McMahon shared a small state discovery.  Turns out she and Dave Iannuccilli are cousins...well, sort of.  Actually, her brother-in-law is Dave’s cousin.  Close enough in Rhody!  Prepare the extra Thanksgiving plates!

-Chuck Sauer had a ‘good week with a great group of kids’ down at Sea Island, South Carolina.  He and 43 high school students took part in a youth mission to fix up homes for those in need.

-Dave Iannuccilli was happy that Wine and Wonderful will be back at the Swift Community Center. 

-Jane Boynton was glad to be on vacation this week.

-John Wolcott said the barn at his son Matt’s home in New Hampshire, once in need of a little TLC when Matt and his wife bought the home, has finally collapsed on itself!

-Bill TenEyck is beginning to tour colleges with his oldest daughter, Schuyler. 

-Ron Winde had a great New York weekend.  Besides a nice meal in Times Square, he and his family enjoyed a fascinating play about singer-songwriter Carole King called ‘Believe.’

PROGRAM/SPEAKER

Kelly Matson and Jayne Pawasauskas, URI College of Pharmacy Clinical Faculty

Jayne Pawasauskas is affiliated with Kent Hospital, while Kelly Matson is affiliated with University of Massachusetts’ Pedriatric Hospital.  Both are also clinical faculty members at URI.  Together, they are very concerned about the growing problem of prescription drug abuse. 

Jane spoke first, telling us about the prevalence of patients selling their leftover prescription drugs.  Police stations are actually creating drop boxes for citizens to anonymously drop off remnant drugs.  This allows for the proper destruction of these pills, thus keeping dangerous chemicals out of drinking water supply systems.  It also keeps them out of the hands of abusers.  Jane said these drop boxes actually work well and fill up surprisingly quickly. 

Former East Greenwich Rotarian and current East Greenwich Youth to Youth leader Bob Houghtaling has done a fine job organizing local efforts to prevent prescription drug abuse among local kids. 

Kelly does a lot of work with local students, investigating the negative side effects of opiates, stimulants, and other medications.  She hosts an interactive health fair around prom time, providing a valuable educational opportunity for kids.  She has also been part of the Youth to Youth connection between East Greenwich and Woonsocket, saying there’s a ‘good synergy there.’ 

Kelly and Jayne also try to involve current pharmacy students at URI, getting them to help out with local high school kids.  Kelly said that early intervention is critical, and it’s smart to get today's young, future pharmacists thinking about, and working on, this problem. 

Theft of prescription drugs from college dorm rooms has become a serious issue, since so many coeds keep their doors unlocked.  This provides an easy opportunity for prescription drug thieves. 

The RI Medical Examiner’s office has cited a huge increase in accidental overdose deaths from prescription drugs.  Statistics locally mirror those nationally, thus reflecting a larger problem in the U.S.  Therefore, all of our communities need to be vigilant!