ImageA Mar. 16 broadcast on Fox 9 News highlighted the work of Eden Prairie HS students, working with Eden Prairie Noon Rotary to support ShelterBox through their Doughnuts for Disaster fundraiser, coming up in a few weeks.  http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/28535503/charity-teams-with-local-students-to-help-cyclone-ravaged-vanuatu  

In addition to Vanuatu, ShelterBox is currently responding to 9 other disasters worldwide. In nearly every case, ShelterBox Response Teams are collaborating with Rotary contacts to help us get assistance to the people who need help the most. Please consider being a partner here in District 5950!

Until this week, most of us had never heard of Vanuatu.  After Typhoon Pam, we have learned that the country is devastated. So far 11 deaths have been reported, with many more expected. More than 80% of the homes and structures in some areas were severely damaged or completely destroyed. People are in dire need of shelter, water purification, food and other essentials.

To the more than 25 clubs in district 5950 who have supported ShelterBox in the past year, the tragedy in Vanuatu is a reminder of why we support disaster relief before the disaster occurs. Donations before disasters help ShelterBox to preposition aid around the world so it can be quickly deployed when it is needed most. Right now, 1000 shelter kits are arriving in Vanuatu. As soon as ShelterBox Response Teams conduct their assessment in the islands and work with our partners, we will determine which parts of the ShelteBox solution are needed most and additional assistance will be rushed in and distributed to families in need. We expect that the recovery process will take months, similar to what we found in the Philippines after Typhoon Haiyan.

And the trouble is not over. At least eight other nations apart from Vanuatu have experienced some level of impact from Cyclone Pam, including the Solomon Islands, Kiribati, Fiji, Tuvalu and Papua New Guinea. Officials have yet to assess the damage in many of these outlying areas due to lack of communications and power. Cyclone Pam has now headed south, hitting New Zealand. Though it has weakened in strength, states of emergency have already been declared, and people have been evacuated, in several areas of the country.

What can you do? Donate to ShelterBox USA and work with a youth group to earn a District 5950 matching grant.  Of $10,000 available, a total of $4100 has been submitted by Mound-Westonka, Plymouth and Monticello Rotary.  What have they done?

•          Third graders in Monticello did extra chores and donated their allowance. Monticello Rotary matched their donation to fund 3 ShelterBoxes with the matching grant.
  •        Wayzata High School students held a bake sale and partnered with Plymouth Rotary for another $3000 with the match.Image
  •        Mound-Westonka Rotary featured ShelterBox at 2 of their community events, followed by their Interact club holding a pie in the face fundraiser at School. More than $2200 donated with the match.

Eden Prairie Noon and Chanhassen Rotary have youth events in the planning stages. In total, over $10,000 has been donated by District 5950 clubs this Rotary year, though not all of them were able to put together a youth event to qualify for the grant

If you would like to earn a share of the District 5950 grant, or if your club members would like to be first to hear about ShelterBox as a ShelterBox Club Liaison, please contact Greg Krauska at 612-801-7821.