I can hardly believe that it has been just over a month since I first arrived here in Belgium . I still wake up every morning in disbelief and amazement! Before I left they told me to prepare for the best year of my life, but there is nothing they could have said to describe how truly amazing this experience is. Thanks to Rotary, this life-changing experience is made possible to students around the world.

Within the first moments of meeting my host family here in Belgium , I have felt comfortable and welcome.  They quickly made me feel like part of the family. Within the first week I was making true Belgian waffles with my Nanen (my host grandmother), collecting chicken eggs with my Papi (my host Grandpa) and trying some of their national dishes and local specialties.

I started at a local high school at the beginning of September and have found that the school system here is much different from back home. We start every morning at 8:25 and go until 4:30 , although Wednesdays are only a half day and we finish at lunch! I go to a Catholic school with around 2000 students spread over 5 different buildings.  The day is composed of 9 blocks.  Each day of the week has a different schedule since you are taking all 12 courses throughout the year. Here they start to specialise much earlier and by the time they reach high school they follow a certain stream of preset courses, unlike us where we are able to pick and choose. They also stay with the same classmates through out the day.  My class consists of 21 students who have already been together for most of their high school years. The teachers and rules are much stricter. Luckily they take it easy on exchange students and are happy if you try and make an effort to participate. Also, substitute teachers don't exist here, so if your teacher is away you simply have a free block!  They do not have any school teams or clubs. I am also missing the convenience of lockers and the big cafeteria.  

Like Canada , Belgium is a bilingual country, its two national languages being French and a dialect of Dutch, although German is also widely used. I am in the Walloon section of Belgium , which is the French speaking section. The local Rotary clubs here also arrange language class which really helps give a boost to learning and becoming comfortable in the language. Having gone through the French immersion program has given me a huge advantage since I was immediately able to communicate and express myself.  I am, however, still constantly listening and learning and by the end of the day I find myself exhausted.  All the family and the locals are very encouraging and patient and are happy to share their language. There is no way to compare this unique learning experience to that of a class room. Sorry Mr. Vacarro (my French Immersion teacher at North Peace)!

I am living in a small community of about 1200 people. Although there are signs that actually say where one community stops and the other begins since they are all so close together! They have a great bus and train system that allows you to go almost anywhere in Belgium very quickly so living in the "country" is no problem! Considering that they can drive across their country in 3 hours, their perception of distance is very different. They are all amazed and shocked when I tell them that I drive 2 hours just to go shopping. They tell me that in 2 hours they can be in 3 different countries!  The climate here is also very different from ours. Here they have a very temperate climate, and they often joke and say that they only have one type of weather, rainy. Although since I have been here the weather hasn't been too bad, there have been a few overcast and rainy days but I have also had several really nice days. It was fun to watch their expressions when I told them that we were already getting snow back home. They were all astonished and amazed seeing as the lowest it gets down to here is -3! It looks like it will be my first green Christmas!

Belgium is also the exchange student capital of the world.  In my district alone there are over 60 students from all around the world. The countries the most represented here are Mexico , the United Stated and Brazil although there are students from every where, Venezuela , Ecuador , Canada , Sweden , Argentina , Australia , New Zealand , and Japan and so many more! It is really a great experience to be able to meet so many students from all over the world, there is so much to learn and they are always so happy to share. There are so many people that I am looking forward to getting to know throughout my year here.

I am looking forward to the beginning the adventure of being a Rotary Exchange student and the opportunity of a lifetime.

A Bientôt ,

Robyn Kosugi

Fort St. John Sunrise and Afternoon Rotary Exchange student in Belgium .