Team 5 – The High Fives

Team Captain – Chad Thompson

ANNOUNCEMENTS:

Allyn Clark reminded everyone about the upcoming District Conference in November.  Check the webpage for more details.

The slate of officers was presented.  Shanna Cannon made a motion that the slate be approved.  The motion was seconded by Steve Roberts and approved.  New officers for 2011-2012 will be as follows:

President - Allyn Clark

President Elect - Chad Thompson

Treasurer - Steve Pitman

Director, Community Service - Jim Fieder

Director, Membership Services - Chris Haedrich

Director, International Service - Brian Crume

Beginning November 3, 2010 there will be a minimum $5 meeting charge.  Members who do not purchase lunch will be required to pay $5 and may have coffee and cookies if they choose.

If you have not purchased your dictionary for $7, please see Chad Thompson.  The goal is that every Rotarian in the District participates in the dictionary project.

The Holiday Party will be Saturday, December 10th with hors d'ouevres at Bill Haedrich's home, dinner at Tierra Oaks and dessert at Charlie Menoher's home.  Ticket prices to be determined.  Mark your calendars for this outstanding event.

The Drug Drop Box project is in progress with work being done this weekend.  The boxes will be located at Redding Police Department, Fire Station 5 on Hartnell Avenue and at the solid waste facility.  Thanks to Jerry Peters for his work on the project.

Student of the Month awards were presented to Kim Paradis from Liberty Christian High School and Jacqueline ? from Enterprise High.  Kim has a 4.0 gpa, is the class organizer, and a member of the Liberty Singers.  Her father was a student at Liberty and now teachers there.  Jacqueline is involved in band, choir, Starship and is President of the Global Action club and in Mock Trial.  This is her second Student of the Month award.

New members Tyler Nichols (sponsor Charlie Menoher) and Tracy Cooper (sponsor Bev Stupek) were brought into the club by the honorable Jim Salini.  They will be joining the M&M Team and it was evident they needed some practice.

The Rotary Minute challenge was undertaken by John Birmingham and Patrick Wallner.  What year was the second Rotary Club established?  John got that one with the correct answer of 1908.  Where was the 1st International Convention held?  The two challengers didn't get it, but it was Scotland.

This week's Community Builder is Jack Reiser, a longtime resident of the area and CEO of Redding Oil.  He has five sons, 13 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren. That alone qualifies him for the award.  He has done many community programs throughout the years, including, but not limited to President of the Chamber of Commerce, President of the United Way, Boy Scouts, church, Redding Rotary and President of the Teen Center.  He was also awarded the Citizen of the Year in 1981.

RECOGNITION:  Megan Curry's mom, Bev Stupek, paid $25 for not knowing who President Menoher was talking about when he asked Megan Curry's mom to stand.  She'll get used to it!

Taylor Motors was named as "Best of the North State" and Howard gave a little history of the business he started in 1968.  Taylor Motors has given $320,000 to schools through the "Cash for Classrooms" program.  He was $100 proud.

Bryant's Automotive was also founded in 1968 and owner Tom recently went to Italy, Greece and a cruise on the Aegean Sea.  He was $100 proud also.

Timberline Heating and Air and now Timberline/Smitty's Heating and Air owner, Ed Harrison was also $100 proud of the new partnership and the article in the paper.  Ed took over operations of Smitty's after the owner passed away.

The photo of President Menoher at the Ducky Derby, which made it into the newspaper, cost him $25.

Shanna Cannon shamelessly promoted her 20 Under 40 award program that the newspaper is sponsoring.  She also got to brag a little about her 8 month old twin boys!

The program was presented by Dennis Bambauer on "Life in a Japanese Internment Camp."  Very eye opening program.  Dennis was featured in a 60 Minutes episode, which was shown at the meeting.

The 50/50 "chance" was won by Tom Bryant, who then lost.

The door prize was won by our Student of the Month, Kim Paradis.