Mountain View Rotary Club
Meeting Notes for March 21, 2017 by Scott
Dick introduced Bob for a “Vocation Spotlight.” Bob was born in Alabama, spent 4 years in the Air Force during the Korean War and then graduated from Ohio State. Bob says the most influential events in his life were the Korean War and tennis. Through his military service he learned how to take care of himself and he also understood the world better (there were places other than Alabama). Tennis “opened doors” to his eventual profession: dentistry and orthodontics. In addition to significant community service and leading businesses, Bob further distinguished himself through teaching internationally orthodontics for 25-plus years and he opened orthodontic teaching centers in 16 countries.
- Roger donated a beautiful Tea Set, which was auctioned off. Winning bid: Alan. Thanks Alan!
- Our next auction item which we will acution in April 11th will be for Celebrity Forum tickets donated by Sanjay Dave. These tickets are for Scott Kelly on Thursday, May 18th, two tickets are very close, row F. Little information about Scott Kelly: As a veteran astronaut, he was selected for a special yearlong mission to the international Space Station. His twin brother, Mark Kelly, also an astronaut and married to Gabby Giffords, remained on earth to serve in the research of the comparative stress of being in space.
- In May we will auction off the Club Tahoe Timeshare weeks…you may take your choice for the week of 8/20-8/27 or 11/25-12/2. Beautiful 2 bedroom, 2 bath units with a loft, sleeps 6-8 comforably. So start looking at your calendars now!
- As you all know we are doing these auctions to raise funds for our Endowment Fund, so please see me if you have anything to donate. So far we have raised about $1450 so far!
SPEAKER: Jim Cunningham introduced our speaker, Karen Ross, who talked about “HeartFit for Life”. Her presentation centered on eating in a healthy way. She spoke to a handout she distributed which included the benefits of a Mediterranean diet. Additional hints she gave included using smaller plates for meals and remembering that it takes 20 minutes for your brain to register that you are full.
President Jerylann greeted all: “Welcome to the Rotary Club of Mtn. View where: We are a Fun, Enthusiastic & Inspiring Rotary Family…we are the BEST Rotary Club around!!! Today is Tuesday March 21st, week 38 of our Rotary year. Our International theme for 2016-2017 is Rotary Serving Humanity. Our District Governor’s call to action is Attract the Young, Have Lots of Fun, Get More Done! And our Clubs call to action is: Make the World A Better Place! Thank you all for joining us today.”
Tom led the Pledge of Allegiance. Steve Ross, visiting Assistant District Governor, presented a thought for the day: promoting the upcoming District Conference in Santa Cruz. Alan led all in a song.
- Dave Cole & Jim Cunningham – Updates on Community Service Projects. Alan volunteered to take a vacant volunteer position for the CSMA service project this Saturday3/25. Steven’s Creek Trail Clean-up will be April 15th from 9 am – 12 pm. Please sign up. Living Classroom, planting at Crittenden, working on date and will advise.
- There will be a Rotating Dinner this year in April or May. Stand by for more information.
- Walt – ELC this week 3/22 – 3/24. Walt will be a mentor and Scott will be a judge on 3/24. We are sponsoring 2 students.
- Next Board Meeting is Thursday 4/20, 5 pm at CHAC
- The District Assembly is schedule for April 13th at the India Community Center in Milpitas. Sign up sheet was passed around.
- District Conference scheduled for May 6-7 in Santa Cruz. Sign up sheet was passed around.
- Presidents’ Club: We will not be doing fines again this year and I would like to encourage our membership to join the Presidents Club…we have had great participation so far, 26 members, please join them!
Next week, March 28th we will be Dark. We will have a Social at Cascal which begins at 5:30 p.m., please just show up, no charge at the door, you will just pay for what you order!
Next meeting here will be Tuesday, April 4th, our speaker will be: Barry Eggers, VC Investor talking about VC in the world today & how he convinced St. Francis HS to invest in SnapChat.
Jerylann reminded all to “Make the World A Better Place!” … and the meeting was adjourned.