- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
DON'T MISS THIS!

January 15
Demo & presentation: Homestead High School’s FIRST Robotics Team
How We Align with Fort Wayne’s Vision for the Future

January 22
Jordan Brockman,Fort Wayne Metals internship program manager:
Internships:  fuel for developing and retaining talent in Northeast Indiana

January 29
Mayor Tom Henry
Update on City of Fort Wayne initiatives 
SPIN for January 15, 2018
Tom Wooding, Spin Editor

GREETERS: Ruth Koontz (Community Volunteer) & Mare Renic (RYE student)
CASHIER: Bruce Haines (PBS39)
INVOCATION:  Tom Heil (Associated Churches)
SONG LEADER: Mark Westerhausen (DWD)
SERGEANT:  Dick Conklin (Retired)
SOCIAL MEDIA: Elise Alabbas (Fort Wayne Dance Collective)
HOUSE:  John Hoffman (Star Excavation) & Kurt Beuchel (USI Insurance Services)
SPIN EDITOR: Tom Wooding (Retired Attorney)
Web Master & AV Guru: Jim Cress (retired Lutheran pastor)
PIANO: Masson Robertson (retired from IPFW and The Philharmonic)
PROGRAM: Homestead High School’s FIRST Robotics Team – How We Align with Fort Wayne’s Vision for the Future: Demo & presentation
Menu: Soup & Salad Bar, Grilled Cheese & Ham and Cheese & Sheet Cake

Small Market Newspapers in the Age of the Pixel

The problems of America's big city newspapers, over the last 20 years, have been well chronicled.  Just google “demise of newspapers” and see.

“The reasons for this decline are familiar – the abrupt shift from print to pixels, the exponential rise in alternative sources of information, changes in lifestyle and reading habits, and, above all, the disastrous collapse of the city paper’s lifeblood – classified advertising – with the emergence of websites such as Craigslist and Gumtree.”  

And here in Ft. Wayne, the News-Sentinel recently decided to go totally online, except for a single editorial page insert in its morning competitor.

But what about small market newspapers?  These, as John Peirce pointed out in his speaker introduction, account for about 6800 of the 7100 daily, weekly, and monthly printed newspapers in this country.  How are they addressing the challenges presented by TV, the Internet, and social media?

For some insight, we turned to our program speakers, Terry Housholder (President and Publisher) and Lucy Cardenas (Editorial Director) of the Kendalville's KPC Media Group.  Founded in 1911, KPC now prints and publishes three daily newspapers (Kendalville, Auburn, and Angola) and seven weekly or monthly newspapers in various small towns/communities throughout northeast Indiana.  Additionally, KPC has targeted the Ft. Wayne market with its Greater Fort Wayne Business Weekly and online with INFortWayne.

Through a combination of paid subscriptions and direct-mailed free distribution to targeted zip codes in the Fort Wayne area, KPC's publications reach about 196,000 people in northeastern Indiana – 172,000 via print; 24,000 through online and social media.
So what has contributed to KPC's success?  No debt and lean staffing.  Being less reliant than big city papers on national advertising accounts from big box stores.  Diversification into direct mail, commercial printing, and design and digital services.  Going online with its publications and experimenting with social media.  Using a partial paywall for the aggregation of selected news stories from its various publications at its website.  kpcnews.com 

But chiefly, staying close to the small towns that KPC serves by giving readers – whether in print or online – the local news and human interest stories that knit these communities together and foster civic pride.

As an example, Lucy cited an old family scrapbook, found locally and dating back to the 1840's, that became a fascinating story about a divorced wife who became a pauper, and who was later “purchased” – as was then legal in Indiana -- by her then remarried former husband.

For a more recent example of local-focus, human interest journalism that is KPC's bread-and-butter, read this January 7, 2018 article: “Neighbors: Ciara Borg Casts a Big Shadow at Ball State.”

Stephan Salisbury, I think, identifies why small market newspapers, like KPC, have a path to success:

“Newspapers stitch people together, weaving community with threads of information [and]... reminding people where they are and what they need to know. What happens to a community when community no longer matters and when information is simply an opportunity for niche marketing and branding in virtual space? Who covers the mayor? City council? Executive agencies? Courts?… It is this unravelling of our civic fabric that is the most grievous result of the decline of our newspapers. And it is the ordinary people struggling in the city who have lost the most, knowing less and less about where they are – even as the amount of information bombarding them grows daily at an astounding rate.”

February Happy Hour
Three Rivers Distillery, 224 E Wallace St, Fort Wayne, IN
February 20th 5:50 p.m. to 7 p.m. 
 If you would like to RSVP, please email Rick Zolman:  rzolman@gmail.com Costs will be published soon.

It’s an ALL IN statewide Rotary Conference in spring 2018! 
For the first time in 80 years, Rotarians throughout Indiana will come together next spring for a statewide district conference, with our own Lisa Waterman leading the northern third of Indiana as governor of District 6540.  
The All IN Rotary Statewide District Conference will be about celebration, inspiration, information, networking and more.
  • What: All IN Rotary Statewide District Conference
  • When: Friday and Saturday, April 20-21, 2018
  • Where:  Marriott Indianapolis Downtown
  • To register: Visit www.allinrotary.org.
The Rotary Club of Fort Wayne’s Foundation Committee wants to help more members become a Paul Harris Fellow, new Foundation Committee Chair Jeff Peat announced. To become a Paul Harris Fellow, a Rotarian contributes $1,000 to the Rotary International Foundation. This contribution can accrue over time or be a lump sum. Peat explained the Club’s Foundation Committee decided to use some existing Foundation funds to help members become Paul Harris Fellows by matching their contributions. He noted members who have accrued $500 toward their gift will now receive a $500 match from the Foundation fund to enable them to become a Paul Harris Fellow.

UPCOMING PROGRAMS: Invite a guest to hear…………..
January 22: Jordan Brockman, Fort Wayne Metals internship program manager, and Sonya Snellenberger – Holm , NE IN Regional Partnership; Internships:  fuel for developing and retaining talent in Northeast Indiana
January 29: Mayor Tom Henry: Update on City of Fort Wayne initiatives 
February 5: Mike Poore, CEO Lutheran Health Systems, and Paula Autry, President, Lutheran FW
February 12: Dr. Ron Elsenbaumer, Chancellor, IPFW
February 19: Marna Pacheko, co-founder of CapeAble sensory products
February 26: Matilda Jane Clothing

COMMITTEE MEETINGS
January 15: PR, 11 am
January 22: Rotaract
January 23: Board of Directors, 8 am

ANNOUNCEMENTS…Mark Your Calendar
February 13, 2018: The Big Easy Fundraiser
February 20: Happy Hour, 5:30-7pm, Three Rivers Distillery, 224 E Wallace St.
March 24, 2018: Greater Fort Wayne-Rotary Career Day, 11 am-4pm, Gates Athletic Center, IPFW

RESIGNATIONS
Corporate Members
First Financial (Jay Maddox, Drew Dunlavy, Aaron Campbell, Kevin Hockaday)—closed FW branch
University of St Francis (Rich Bienz, Bob Lee, Matt Rowan, Natalie Wagoner)—budget constraints
Harrison College (Luke Knoke, Christopher Miller)—no longer employed there
IPFW (Karen VanGorder)

Active Members
Bill Dixon (Employment Change)
Norman Kempler (Moved to Indianapolis)
Larry Kuhn (Travel, Inability to get to meetings)
Crista Miller (Employment Change)
Greg Solon (Business obligations)
Marjorie Stephens (Travel, Inability to get to meetings)
Mindy Torres (Employment Change)
Andy Wilson (Inability to get to meetings)

A Letter from President Tim:
Dear Rotarians,

The Rotary clubs of Fort Wayne are excited to announce their 2018 Career Connections Expo.

The Career Connections Expo is an event where your workplace and Rotary club collaborate to benefit local career seekers and charities.       

WE INVITE YOU TO ATTEND AND DISPLAY YOUR BUSINESS OR ORGANIZATION.

Potential associates and qualified candidates will be in attendance to learn about your company and the opportunities you offer.

The following four charities will benefit from items donated for admission.

red_cedar_logo     

The event will be at the IPFW Athletic Center on Saturday, March 24, 2018 from 11AM to 4PM. Exhibitors will have from 8-11AM to set up. Tear down will be from 4-5PM.                                                                                                                            
VIEW IN GOOGLE MAP                                                                                                            
Here’s how this event can benefit you:      
·         This is a wonderful way to benefit from Vocational Service while helping one of the four local charities
·         Meet and network with fellow Rotarians
·         Media sponsorship onsite means exposure for your Rotary club and workplace
·         By participating, you help our Rotary community increase club membership, while discovering the perfect candidates for your organization
·         Spouses of Rotarians can choose to exhibit
·         There is no charge for exhibitors!

Take the next step by filling out the form below. Ask your spouse if his or her company would be interested in participating too. There will be 100 exhibitor spots available, so please be sure to have your information submitted by January 31.

Work with your colleagues, manager, or human resources representatives to learn what it will take for your company to attend. Reference the attached flier which has all the details you need.

Any questions? Send them our way at career.connections.expo@gmail.com.

We hope to see you there!

Tim Gibson
Career Connections Expo Steering Committee