On January 27, 2016 each of Fair Lawn’s 4th Grade classes were represented by 34 students vying for the mantel of 4th Grade Spelling Bee Champion.  Fair Lawn Rotarians proudly sponsored the 5th Annual 4th Grade Spelling Bee Championships; celebrating education and promoting literacy is a big part of the philanthropic activities of Rotary.  This Rotary project is held in partnership with the elementary school principals and 4th grade teachers.  Throughout the beginning of the year, each elementary school holds spelling bees with the top spellers moving on to the Rotary Spelling Championship.  This program was conceived as a perfect follow-up to Fair Lawn Rotary’s Third Grade Dictionary Distribution Project.

The night started off with 34 students, after several rounds of words the number of students was whittled down as the words became tougher.  Each student showed an amazing aptitude as they moved through each round.  The evening finally came down to two students, both representing Radburn Elementary School.  After receiving the instructions as to how the final rounds were to be conducted, Victoria Itkin and Prema Maringanti spelled several words before the final word of the evening was successfully spelled – VERTEX ended up the final word of the event.

Our competitors

Victoria Itkin was victorious in her quest to be crowned Fair Lawn Rotary 4th Grade Spelling Bee Champion for the 2015/2016 School Year.  Prema was awarded a trophy for her amazing talent in this event, and Victoria not only took home a trophy for her first place finish but was presented a Samsung Galaxy Tab E donated by Columbia Bank.

The Rotary Club of Fair Lawn is proud to be a vital part of our children’s education in the Fair Lawn Public School System, and wholeheartedly thanks the students, parents, teachers and principals – as well as many others in the school district, as well as the staff of the Community Center for their hard work in bringing this program together that is enjoyed by each student.   Rotary would also like to thank the event’s sponsors in making this an exciting and enjoyable event for one and all; Columbia Bank, Minuteman Press, Shop Rite of Fair Lawn, Sugar Flake Bake Shop and the Borough of Fair Lawn for use of the Community Center.

Club President Todd N. Malkin with Victoria Itkin and Prema Maringanti
More photos of this exciting event can be found on the right side of our home page in the Photo Section!