International Service
Subpages
Related Pages
Links
Files
Photo Albums

Rotary Club of Adelaide Light International Services Report for the year ending June 2020

The past year has seen the successful continuation of the Colombian Educational Scholarships Programme which is managed in Colombia by our partner club, The Rotary Club of Bogota Suba and in particular, Past President, Gabriel Martinez.

During the past year, our club has provided, as it has each year, AUD $4500 ( divided into 2 tranches of $2250) for 10 scholarships awarded to underprivileged post-secondary school students in Colombia. These students live with their families in Mirama; a poor area on the outskirts of Bogota, Colombia. The scholarships provide living cost support for students while advancing their studies at SENA ( similar to TAFE ) or University. Over a period of 11 years, the programme has provided around 150 scholarships and has made a significant difference to the lives of the scholarship awardees who are now employed in trades and professions. The benefit of advancing the education of these young people has as well significantly improved the lives of their families and the wider Mirama community.

Unfortunately, COVID 19 has now prevented our Rotary partner club members from meeting with the students. Gabriel, who is 82 years old and has been confined to his home, has requested that we suspend further funding this year.

A second programme which has been interrupted by the COVID 19 is a joint programme with the Rotary Club of Norwood. This project is to provide a scholarship for a Bolivian student to undertake a three-month English language training course at the South Australian College of English (SACE) in Adelaide. The scholarship will include travel to and from Adelaide and a living allowance provided by the RC of Norwood and a District Grant. SACE will provide the tuition at no cost, and our club will assist with accommodation and student support in Adelaide ( in conjunction with the Norwood Club).

RC Norwood partner club has two potential candidates. However, COVID 19 restrictions have halted further progress for this year at least.

Last updated: July 2020