International Service
Subpages
Related Pages
Links
Files
Photo Albums

Colombian Education Scholarships Program

The Rotary Clubs of Adelaide Light and Colombia's Bogota Suba started the Educational Scholarship Program project in 2009 and since then have granted 43 scholarships. Many of the students who have completed their training are now returning to the community centre and assisting with a kindergarten project and a literacy project - thus ensuring a sustainable future for the centre.

Where possible, members visit Colombia to meet with the Rotary Club of Bogota Suba members and held meetings with this year's batch of Education Scholarship Funds students. Our members are either catching up with their Colombian family and friends, or travelling to South America as part of their business to attract non-English speaking students to study in Adelaide. It is an ideal opportunity to catch up with our Rotary project partners in Bogota Suba and to see, first-hand, how our funding is making a difference to the lives of low income students wishing to gain a good education and improve their prospects for gainful employment.

Angus Tuck, who is also Assistant Governor for the Group 1 Rotary Club's, mentioned our Colombian Education Scholarship Program at one of the meetings and from this the Rotary Club of Adelaide showed some interest in becoming involved. These scholarships - which are provided in units of $US410 per student per year - cover courses from 6 months to two years so this amount either provides enough funding for the first year of a two year course, or for two shorter courses.

The scholarships for TAFE-equivalent students provide essential cost of living cost without which the students would not be able to gain the valuable training which puts them into a vocation or into a path to University studies.

Image

Soles4Souls Australia

Founder of Soles4Souls Australia and former Club member, Dalice Kennedy, has been presented with several cheques to further the great work of Soles4Souls - the charity set up to equip overseas and local people with a pair of gently worn shoes to help them traverse their environment without picking up diseases through cuts in their feet.

The first cheque was funded from the proceeds of our 2013 Quiz Night and was made up of donations of $1400 from our Club and $600 from the Rotaract Club of Adelaide City who co-hosted the Quiz Night.  Donations, and shoes, have been provided to Soles4Souls each year since then.

Set up by Dalice almost three years ago, Soles4Souls sparked community action Australia-wide, which has resulted in more than 100,000 pairs of shoes being collected from all Australian states and territories, and these shoes were then redistributed to people in Australia, Vanuatu, Guatemala and Africa. It has taken hundreds of volunteers and thousands of hours to sort and pack these shoes - and has now resulted in a new partnership with SA's Wesley Social Enterprises which provides meaningful employment for people with disabilities to undertake the sorting. Not only has this charity helped the most needy of people, it has also eliminated 50,000kg of potential landfill.

Having just returned in May 2014 from distributing her latest batch of over 900 shoes to children and adults in Tanzania with a group of Australian volunteers, Dalice said "Sharing the distribution of shoes with our volunteers in Tanzania is a reminder of the values we share with our community - the importance of improving the lives of others and the need to support vulnerable people who lack the resources to protect their feet from cuts, scratches and infections, while also supporting school attendance."

After spending over 5,000 volunteer hours in setting up and administering the charity Soles4Souls, early in 2014 Dalice accepted the role Director of Community Engagement with a South Australian college and has recruited a General Manager to oversee the day to day running of Soles4Souls Australia - but Dalice continues to take an active role on the Board as Chairperson.