About Our Club

Welcome to our Rotary Club!

The “Suttons Bay Rotary Club” was established on January 29, 1946. Our club was founded due to the vision and urging of Cupy Stratton. Chuck Boyer of the Traverse City Club assisted in the sponsorship (by the Traverse City Club) that resulted in the establishment of our club. Our Rotary Club meets weekly on Thursdays at noon for fellowship, lunch, and program discussion. These meetings have provided the foundation for many friendships that have carried on for many many years! Mr. Owen Bahle was a founding charter member in 1946 and has continually attended weekly meetings since that time – our longest serving active member!

Local efforts include support for 4H, scouting groups, cherry initiatives, and junior achievement within school districts. The Rotary Youth Exchange Program brings foreign high school students to our communities. We also sponsor local students who in turn are able to experience school and culture in other nations around the world. Both in-coming and out-going students stay with host families for a period of one year.

Leelanau County is a very special place in the hearts of all the members of our club. We have “Adopted a Highway” with the cooperation of MDOT and are dedicated to five miles of scenic M-22. We also sponsor school groups who sail on the educational vessel the “Inland Seas” to learn about biology and fisheries upon the great lakes.

If you would be interested in attending a meeting as a guest or potentially a future member please contact our membership chair Mary Tonneberger at 231-386-7951 or by email at mptomena@torchlake.com .