Rotary Club
of Dolores
Speakers
Bingo 6:30pm @ Community Center
Sep 26, 2017
Benefitting DHS Student Government
Bingo 6:30pm @ Community Center
Oct 24, 2017
Benefitting National History Day Students
Bingo 6:30pm @ Community Center
Nov 28, 2017
Benefitting Christmas Lighting Fund
Bingo 6:30pm @ Community Center
Jan 30, 2018
Benefitting Fellowship of Christian Athletes
 
Officers and Directors
President
Presidnet Elect
Secretary
 
Club Information

Welcome to our Club Website!

Our motto is "Service Above Self"

We meet Tuesdays at 6:30 AM
Ponderosa Restaurant
715 Railroad Avenue
Dolores, CO  81323
United States
DistrictSiteIcon
District Site
VenueMap
Venue Map
 
Home Page Stories
Meeting Agenda For: July 25, 2017
 
Call to Order:   6:30am
  • Pledge of Allegiance
  • Inspiration
  • Question of the Day? If you had a half hour to decompress, what would you do?
Attendance: Dana Hill , Dr. Burnside, Rocky Moss, Ed Merritt, Dave Sanford, Lou Ann Jacobson Ball, Paul Bilger, John Taveira, Susan Lisak, Charlie Powell, Shawna Valdez, Eli Brown  
 
Club Business & Announcements:  6:45am
 
  • Bike Race
    • Kid’s bike rodeo follow up
      • 7 bicycles donated
      • Helmets - Dr. Burnside to confirm with health department
      • Time for volunteers to show? Dr. Burnside will be marking the course in morning, would love to have some volunteers around 8-9am to help move items from the shed to the bike rodeo area, weather dependent, then would need more volunteers starting at 4pm.
      • Rocky is coordinating cheer team as volunteers
      • John Taveira is working on a 3-tiered winners podium
  • Volunteers Needed to help stuff bags, 6:30am at the Ponderosa Restaurant
    • 1st Stuffing date - Aug 8 for swag items
    • 2nd Stuffing date - Aug 11 for t-shirts and chips
  • Bibs need to be delivered to Rocky Mountain timing
  • 5K fun run
    • How will we get sign ups?
  • Stats -
    • 20 racers signed up as of July 30 (100% increase from last year’s 10 racers, same time)
      • 15 men, 5 women
      • 9 for the 50-mile
      • 5 for the 33-mile
      • 6 for the 18-mile
    • 101 T-shirts already allotted to sponsors, racers, and additional orders
    • $6125 revenue from sponsors
    • Website traffic: 9272 website clicks for 2017 (as of July 30), which is more than all of 2016 at 7813 clicks.
Meeting Agenda For: July 18, 2017
 
Call to Order:   6:30am
  • Pledge of Allegiance
  • Inspiration
  • Question of the Day?  What are your experiences with lightning?
 
Attendees: George Small, Sue Small, Tom Seymour, Robbie Singer, Dr. Burnside, Susie Lauther, Roger Ptolemy, Scott Cooper, Ed Merritt, Adam Barnhurst, Paul Bilger, Dan Jones, Charley Miller, John Taveira, Susan Lisak, Carl Buchta, Dana Hill, Jim Reser
--18 attendees--
 
Club Business & Announcements:  6:45am
 
  • Quick update on the bike race
    • T-shirts
    • Insurance certificate
    • Permits - county permit is approved and paid for.
    • Posters - 10 posters for Enchantment Resort raffle created and distributed to those who will be selling tickets. Susan will work on raffle poster, but need info and value
 
One of RYLA students, Skylar Brill, has expressed interest in being an international exchange student
 
  • Visit from George Small, Rotary District Governor
    • Celebrating 100 years of Rotary International and 75 years of the Dolores Rotary Club!
    • 30 years of women
    • Ian Riseley from Australia is RI president. Theme is “Making a Difference”.
      • Required activities - pay club dues, report volunteer hours and service projects and contributions in Rotary Club Central.
      • Support & strengthen clubs - Set at least 10 goals, update or develop strategic plan, net gain in membership, net gain of female members, net gain of members under 40yo, engagement in outside activities, new club or Rotary Community Corp, Sponsor or Co-sponsor an Interact or Rotaract
      • Focus and increase humanitarian service - sponsor/participate in PolioPlus activity, Global or district grants, one environment focused project (plant a tree, recycling, etc), collaborate with clubs to increase scope or visibility, involve rotary alumni in projects/events, increase club giving by 10%, increase number of members giving $25 or more, attain a minimum annual fund giving of $100 per capita, use rotary ideas to contribute a project or seek resources for local or international projects.
      • Enhance public image and awareness - use brand central guidelines and templates in all communications, regularly update club's website and social media (follow 5470 website), host or promote a community event to support world polio day, host 1 network event for professionals, establish or continue a partnership with government, corporate or NGO, host a community forum highlighting clubs work and find solutions, local media coverage of project, event or fundraiser, promote peace and develop future leaders with at least one RYE or RYLA
      • The “Three Legged Stool” - so what should be the focus to make our clubs stronger and sustainable?
        • Public Image - tell them who you are and what you are
        • Membership
        • The Rotary Foundation - annual fund, polio plus, endowment (major gifts)
      • Stronger and sustainable clubs
        • Leadership Continuity
          • PE & PEN selection and training. How about extending your leadership team?
          • Assembly and conference attendance - Pueblo in April 2018, club leadership team should be there.
          • Rotary leadership institute - Paulette Church and Anne Harris head it up, sessions for new members, listed on rotary district website,
          • Grant training - must have someone that has grant training
          • District committees - volunteer for a committee, better advantage to doing club projects
          • Zone leadership institute - from idaho to texas
          • District awards - DD monroe (50+ members) & JE chenoweth (under 50 members
        • Actions of the council on legislation
          • Traditional meetings
          • Flexibility in mtg frequency and format, must have 2 traditional meetings per month, but others can be flexible
          • Attendance
          • Membership types, corporate membership, family membership, put in bylaws
          • Rotaract dual membership - 18 - 35 years old
          • Business, professional and community leaders
          • Four way test
          • Join rotary, exchange ideas, take actions
          • People of action
        • Changing demographics
          • We were all younger, but how about old ways? Can I get your old club leadership vs rotary club central? Put in goals and collect data
          • Lifestyle demands - create ways to involve young families, young professionals
          • Technology
          • District 5470 educational group - 501(c)3 avenue of operation
        • George Small’s challenge:
          • Communication - social media presence
          • Collaboration - what is the big secret? Events, fundraisers, ideas, etc. share with other clubs, community partners,
          • Planning - update or develop a strategic plan, contact chip Ecks, district administration
        • The probability of completing a goal
          • You have a goal: 10%
          • Set a time to do it: 40%
          • Plan how you will do it: 50%
          • Commit to someone else: 65%
          • Specific accountability with a person: 95%
        • Resources
          • D5470 directory and planner
          • Clubrunner
          • RI club and District support (Emily Tucker and James D’Mato) 866-976-8279
          • My rotary and rotary club central (www.rotary.org)
          • Be a vibrant club
          • Rotary Leader (emailed bi monthly)
          • Membership matters (4th tuesday) - web seminar, interactive
          • Manual of procedures
          • RI Code of policies
Video - a century of doing good in the world:
 
 
 
Rotary Meeting Minutes For: July 11, 2017
 
Question of the day? Which famous person do you look like?
 
In attendance: Tom Seymour, Robbie Singer, Dr. Burnside , Scott Cooper, Ed Merritt, Dave Sanford, Lou Ann Jacobson Ball, Charley Miller, John Taveira, Susan Lisak, Paul Bilger, Rocky Moss, Shawna Valdez, Carl Buchta, Eli Brown,
 
Scott Cooper’s Presidential Address
  • Goals for the year…  Increasing membership, especially female membership.
    • Want to get above 40, back to 35
    • Give all speakers an application
  • Rocky Moss has asked to waylay her term as PE, and will see if another can take her place.
  • Celebrating Rotary International 100th year next mtg. with our District Governor and a cake.
    • Deanna with Ponderosa to make cake with Rotary Wheel
    • It’s the 75th year of the Dolores Rotary club, 100th year of Rotary International
  • Teacher Award: once per semester, or once per year?  Think like Student of the QTR.
    • Excellence in Education/Teacher of the year, get some kind of reward, to be used in their classroom, let students decide (the challenge with students deciding is that elem students will always pick their classroom / homeroom teacher… Might have to ask the staff to nominate…?
  • Satellite Rotary Club? Maybe meets at noon or in the evening?  
    • Different time?
  • Student lead Rotary Club (Interact)?
    • Animas high is closest one, need sponsorship from active rotary club in community, look for service learning or international project
    • Dave has researched and coming from bigger high school, but Roteract for college students, 18 - 36, young adults, opportunities to recruit, put info out there
    • Meet lunchtime on campus, meet Jen Huffman
    • Reach out to Shannon Livick to develop Rotaract

Yearly dues to be paid this month - $150
 
Bike Race Agenda
  • T-shirt discussion
    • Made decision to go with local vendor, SW printing @$10/each
    • Susan & Rocky to go finalize the order with SW printing
    • Due date Monday Aug 7th for final product
  • 5K Fun Run.
    • Bandannas $3.58 each. We should design them with no year, Dolores Rotary Club, 22x22, logo takes up 18”
    • Find out if there’s a price break if we order more. Susan checked and there is a price break at 300, which would bring the cost down to $2.87 each. Still a very high price.
  • Raffle poster - selling some tickets
    • Rifle, need retail value of rifle, cost of tickets, time of drawing 7:30pm, decided going to Community center and dolores schools, paid $345, retail $419, plus case plus bipod, approx $811 retail?
    • Decided to sell 500 rifle tickets @ $10/ticket, $5000 possible revenue
    • 10 copies of poster need to be make, electronic version
 
  • Discuss sponsorships
    • Now at $5675
    • Kokopelli will donate to swag bag fillers up to $500, need logo on tshirt
    • Osprey logo on there as well, They will donate lots of packs for prizes
  • Bike rodeo :  
    • Charley needs ice packs cost from Chris T.
Get Scott Clow and Mark Tucker to talk about volunteers needed
Need list of things to do to prep for bike day
Stuff bags with swag on Tuesday before, then t-shirts and bib on Friday before, at ponderosa
Tuesday before the meeting, need all swag items
Signs out on the 30th of July to notify everyone of race, Tom to head
Event permit is turned in
Need insurance, check with Mark Tucker
Reach out to Empire electric to get in on their calendar for race and rodeo
Zumag just came out, already online, focused on service, picture of Mark and Denis and Bob Sanders
Updating brochures to put into bag, Rocky & Susan to update, Shawna, proof by next Tuesday
 
Upcoming Presentations and Important Dates:
  • 7/18 Visit from George Small, Rotary District Governor
    • Must stand when he walks in the room
    • No other presenters
    • Has projector and laptop
    • Celebrate 100 years of Rotary International and 75 years of Dolores Rotary Club!
  • 8/15 Valiena Rosenkrance, Director of the Teddy Bear Preschool
  • 8/19 Commodities Distribution
Bike Race Meeting Minutes For: June 27th, 2017
 
In Attendance: Tom Seymour, Scott Clow, Dennis Jewel, Adam Barnhurst, Dr. Burnside, Scott Cooper, Ed Merritt, Mark Tucker, Charley Miller, John Taveira, Paul Bilger, Shawna Valdez, Susan Lisak, Carl Buchta,
 
Question of the Day? What was your favorite Saturday morning TV show?
 
Bike Race Minutes:
 
Rocky Mountain Timing finish line, timing mat and clock
 
Chip timing discussion with Josh Dalley at Rocky Mountain timing:
  • Finish line is a metal truss with timing mat and clock, and can be from 8 to 30 feet long (see above pic)
  • There will be an interactive monitor where finishers can check their time by entering in their bib number.
  • Results can be posted as soon as the last racer comes in.
  • Josh will need the bibs prior to the race so that he can start adding the chips to them. Will deliver them to him the week prior to the race
  • Will give him the final online registrant list the Friday prior to the race
  • Will email him a list of the classes and age categories so that he can set up his software (done).
T-shirt discussion
  • Pricing/Who to give business to/Fabric and style/1 color logo and 4 print run - black
  • If we stay with the local printer, should get everything ready by July 11th. If we go with an online vendor, we will need to come up with our own logo and give more lead time to have the shirts delivered.
  • Tom Seymour will visit with Jon and David at SW Design to finalize fabric and color so that they can get us pricing for 320 shirts. Update: quote received from SW Design was $10/shirt.
County Permit - Tom Seymour is setting up Montezuma temporary use permit. Putting Scott Cooper down as contact person. Application fee of $100 needed. Will include a pic of the poster and the web page. Must have it in at least 30 days prior.
 
5K Fun Run
  • Will come up with a form for them to fill out.
  • Reaching out to cross-country team for assistance
  • Shawna has priced bandannas out thru SW Design @ $2.25/each. Jon @ SW said he would see if there were any other options. We should order around 100 bandannas with no year.
Discuss volunteers needed for each station
  • Usually have 4 volunteers at finish line, but with timing system, will no longer need them there so they can be freed to volunteer at another station. Scott Clow will work on placement and number of volunteers needed.
  • Mark Tucker is looking into number of volunteers on the course.
  • Will be setting up a volunteer meeting a couple days prior to race
Swag bag discussion.
  • Talked about what items we could we get in the bags
  • Tom has around 1000 blue plastic goodie bags.
  • Kokopelli’s will donate, Scott to finalize
  • GST Liquors wants to donate small liquor bottles, concerned about alcohol to minors, so we may use it for another occasion.
  • Dave said there are still some goodie bag items in storage
  • Try to nail down goodie bag items by July 17th
  • Week before the race is stuffing party, August 8th, shirts and bibs on Friday prior
Bike Rodeo discussion
  • Health department will order a bunch of helmets this year so that we don’t run out. We pay $5/helmet.
  • Scott will follow up with Kokopelli’s to help tune bikes
  • Dr. Burnside is trying to find safety cards online pre-printed, otherwise may have to go without.
  • Have a total of 8 bikes this year:
  • 2 in storage for young kids
  • Dr. & Mrs. Burnside will give 4 bikes, 2 boys, 2 girls
  • Shawna will get a girls 20 - 22 inch bike
  • April Seymour will get a boys 24 - 26 inch bike
Discussed sponsorship opportunities
 
Meeting adjourned at 7:30am
 
In Attendance: Dr. Burnside, John Taveira, Susan Lisak, Ed Merritt, Paul Bilger, Scott Cooper, Denis Boon, Dave Sanford, Mark Tucker, Tom Seymour, Adam Barnhurst, Carl Buchta, Rocky Moss, Eli Brown, Deanna Truelson
 
Question of the Day?  What's your favorite form of exercise?
 
Club Business & Announcements:  6:45am
 
Bike race updates
  • T-shirt update - delayed until next week's bike race meeting

  • Discussed getting Bill Stanley to send out an email blast to parents and kids for 5K fun run. 

  • Discussed sponsors updates and those who have not given any commitment, and also talked about new businesses to check with on sponsorship (campgrounds, breweries, pot shops, hotels, restaurants, coffee shops, liquor stores).

  • Discussed how raffle tickets will be sold and how they will be displayed. Will create posters to display, 2 for the Dolores State Bank, 1 at the Ponderosa, and 1 at Charley's Barber shop. Then we may put out tables at various venues and events, like the county fair, harvest fest, City Market, etc. Will make 15 posters. 

  • Discussed having a secondary raffle of a varmint rifle, like a Savage 17 bolt action rifle, a case and scope, with a retail value around $300-$500. Tickets at $20/each, limited to 250 tickets. Proceeds will go to Dolores Community Center and Dolores Schools. Motion called and passed.

Rocky is selling tickets for the Cortez Chamber for a .40 caliber pistol at $20/ticket with a limit of 200 tickets, drawing is July 13th.
 
Ed asked for clarification on how much money to send to Kaylee Bowie. Scott researched and $500 is what she was awarded. 
 
Denis passed around a letter from the Montelores Childhood Development Center.
 
Discuss and vote on motion called by Rocky Moss to donate $100 to United Way’s 100 x $100 campaign.
2nd by Dr. Burnside - motion passed
 
Dave Sanford talked about this year's RYLA event - There were a total of 8 kids, 4 from Mancos, 2 from Dolores, 2 from Dove Creek. Dave gave kudos to our club because we support RYLA better than any other club in the area. The program itself was good, kids enjoyed it and learned a lot. Tom gave Dave the credit for supporting RYLA through the years and making it happen.   
 
Today’s Presentation:
None
 
Meeting adjourned at 7:30am
 
Rotary Meeting Minutes for 6/13/17
 
In Attendance: Scott Cooper, Carl Buchta, Robbie Singer, Adam Barnhurst, Chris Trusler, Dr. Burnside, Alex Prime, Denis Boon, Ed Merritt, Dave Sanford, Tom Seymour, Charley Miller, John Taveira, Susan Lisak, Dan Jones, Rocky Moss, Val Truelson, Eli Brown
 
Question of the Day: What's your favorite bird?
 

 
Bike race updates:

Slaven’s said they would donate some merchandise, as they do not sponsor with cash. John Taveira will look to see if they carry any bike racks or bike locks, or go with some camping equipment. Will only add them to the website if their retail cost of their donation goes above $75.

Bike race t-shirts update. Last year we spent around $3200 for t-shirts, around $10-12/piece. Chris brought a couple shirt samples that he orders for the school from an outside company at $4.90/each for 1-color, 1-run print. Pricing will be more for 4-run, 2-color prints, he's guessing around $6.50 - 8.50 per shirt, which will save a lot of money towards the cost of shirts, especially since only a handful of people actually wear the shirts around town after the race. Scott Cooper asked for Chris to get a quote for a 1-color nicer shirt (80-90% polyester) as well as a lower tier shirt (50% polyester-cotton blend), along with a price for bandannas.
 
Vista Grand Inn/Valley Inn Nursing home will donate $500 to be on sleeve of t-shirt.
 
Viva salons added $40 to their donation, bringing their sponsorship amount to $75 dollars.
 
Decided not to send anyone to the Rotary Leadership Institute on Saturday June 24th in Colorado Springs. If we decide we want to take advantage of any Rotary grants, we will then see if we can get someone certified. 

Decided that there will be no July speakers, and instead direct most of the meetings towards final planning of the bike race. There will be no Rotary meeting on July 4th.   
 
Talked about the Rotary's updated gun policy that was just sent out. Revisions allow us to hold gun raffles, as long as no club takes ownership of the weapons and transfers are conducted by third parties. 
 
****$150 annual Rotary membership fees are due.****
 
Today’s Presentation:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Alex Prime, United Way of SW Colorado
 
The United Way of Southwest Colorado's main objective is to collect money to distribute and support other non-profits. With their larger reach and worldwide recognition, they can make it easier for local charities and organizations to receive funding. 
 
They focus on three areas: education, health care, and economic stability

This chapter is independent of United Way Worldwide. 99% of the money stays in the area, and 1% goes to United Way Worldwide.

Alex is focused on figuring out new fundraising strategies. The bulk of funding is used for emergency needs, but they are looking towards more long-term solutions as well. Some of the fundraisers they are currently working on are:

100 x $100 challenge: The goal is to get 100 businesses to give $100 dollars in exchange of promoting them on Facebook. They can also challenge other businesses to give as well.
 
Taste of the Seasons - 20 restaurants participate in a wine and food tasting fundraiser hosted at Four Seasons Greenhouse, in early December.

Eat. Drink. Live United - June 14th at the Dolores River Campground - Live music by The Tomlynns, wood-fired pizza, beer, wine, food, kids activities, raffle. $10pp
 

Rocky asked for a motion to support the 100x$100 challenge. Will discuss at next meeting.
 
Meeting adjourned at 7:30am

 
Meeting Minutes for June 6th, 2017
 
In Attendance: Scott Cooper, Ed Merritt, Dr. Burnside, Mark Tucker, Dave Sanford, Lou Ann Jacobson Ball, Shawna Valdez, Eli Brown, Chris Trusler, Adam Barnhurst, Susan Lisak, John Taveira
Question of the Day? Anybody get on the water during Spring runoff?
 
Reviewed May 30th Bike Race meeting. Next bike race meeting is June 27th.
  • Discussed Friday’s kids bike rodeo schedule. No changes from last year. There are two bikes in storage, Shawna will donate 1 bike, need around 5 more bikes donated/purchased.

  • Thanks to Shawn and Dani for getting 250 trophies made, hopefully those will last us a couple years.

  • Hunter with Zumag will interview some Rotarians for 2nd article.

  • Rocky is beginning the online Facebook advertising in 10 days

  • Discussed T-shirts. Chris Trusler offered to get a quote from another shirt company that he works with. Chris will set up a Google drive folder where logo’s can be saved. Some logo’s are already on the website as well. Will need to scrutinize the preview shirt to verify all info is correct before printing. Deadline for sponsors to get on shirt is July 1st. For sizes, going with similar formula as last year, maybe less Women’s small. Last year ordered around 320 shirts.

  • Discussed Raffle tickets. Decided to have 2 raffle items: a 2 night stay at Enchantment Resort + $250 in spending cash, or a $1000 cash prize. First drawn winner gets to choose which prize they want. Retail value on 2-night stay is $1443.90, with the $250 spending cash would put the value at $1693.90. Maximum tickets to be sold is 1000 at $10/ticket. Dr. Burnside will file the appropriate raffle paperwork.

  • Discussed chip timing system again, and vote was taken in favor of going with Rocky Mountain timing at a discounted rate of $650. Rocky to coordinate with them. Susan has posted timing information and links onto the doloresrace.com website.

  • Discussed bike race budget, but will have more budget information next week.

  • Discussed filming with a drone and asking the fire department if they could do that for us. Rocky to inquire with Chris Barber.

  • Shawna will work on bandannas, yellow and blue, no year.

Dolores River Festival is this weekend. Friday night pre-show at Dolores River Brewery with the Durango Funk Allstars! Saturday, festival gates open 10 am, last band begins at 9:40pm. Great lineup of live music (doloresriverfestival.org). Tickets in advance $20, at gate $25.
 
Tune in To KKDC D’Crow 93.3 at 8:40 am this Thursday – The Chamberhood will be talking with Billy & Lainey Beyhan, Dolores River Campground, our 2017 Business of the Year
 
Scott distributed a proposed letter of support for the Dolores School-Based Health Clinic. Asking for up to $500K to build the Health Clinic, which will be attached to the building. Members approved letter, and Scott will sign in lieu of Denis who is out of town.
 
Meeting adjourned at 7:30am
Bike Race Meeting Minutes For: May 30th, 2017
 
In Attendance: Scott Cooper, Dana Hill, Dr. Burnside, Denis Boon, Lou Ann Jacobson Ball, John Taveira, Susan Lisak, Mark Tucker, Dave Sanford, Tom Seymour, Dani Gregory, Rocky Moss, Tom Rice
 
Meeting Minutes:
Friday, August 11th - Activities and schedule:
  • Chamber is responsible for the bike parade and the ice cream eating contest, Rotary will run the bike rodeo. Around a hundred kids last year. Parade starts at the General Store. Will have bikes to raffle off to kids where the kids will put their raffle ticket in the jar next to the bike of their choice. We currently have 2 bikes, will need at least 5-6 more. Rotary worked with the Health Department to provide helmets to all the riders for a $5/helmet fee. Kokopelli’s came in and gave free bike tuning. Sheriff’s department was there giving kids street riding instructions. Will need volunteers starting at 3:30 - 4pm to help set up the rodeo. Will check with student groups or High Desert Devo for volunteer support.
  • Friday, August 11th Schedule:
    • 5:30pm - Kids bike parade
    • 6pm - Kids bike rodeo
    • 7pm - Kids ice cream eating contest
Timing system discussion.
  • Josh Daly from Rocky Mountain Timing gave us a quote of $900 for up to 250 riders, and offered to sponsor some of the cost ($250), taking the final cost down to $650. The company will provide a finish line banner, RFID chips, RFID reader which will upload the times quickly and easily, photo finishes where riders can get a photo of themselves crossing the finish line, and a person to help load up same-day registrants into the timing system. It will make the timing of the race much simpler and will alleviate the need for volunteers to manually keep track of the time. But the cost is still a concern and the number of racers and donations may not be enough to cover the increased costs, possibly bringing our net proceeds down. Tabled for further discussion next week.
Metal Trophies.
  • Currently have around 60, may need up to 96 if all categories/age groups are represented. Dani will see about having 136 - 150 trophies made.
Posters
  • Posters are in, let Susan know if you’d like some to help getting them out to area shops.
Marketing Discussions
  • Scott will follow up with Colleen at Zumag for next article highlighting all that Rotary does for the community.
  • Mountain Flyer Magazine, Dani to reach out and gather info
  • Susan will send electronic copy of poster to Rotary Presidents in area.
  • Rocky will start advertising bike race through Facebook on June 1st.
  • Discussed having some radio PSA’s. Rocky to get with KSJD, KSUT, Cortez Journal, Moab?
  • Discussed having the race video’d via a drone. Scott to check with CDOT for any issues.
Bike Race T-shirt
  • Discussed possibly shrinking the Escalante Days logo on front to allow for companies to be put on the front of shirt. Decided no.
  • One sleeve has already been sponsored by Michael F. Greene PC.
  • Color was chosen, fabric was discussed and possibly having some cotton ones available.
Volunteer Info
  • Scott Clow and Mark Tucker to coordinate course volunteers, still planning on aid station at bottom of bean, see if Search and Rescue can cover the aid station, check color coded flagging. Suggested two people on the switchbacks to guide riders.
  • Shawn Gregory will send GPS info to the forest service so that we could see about having some volunteers with GPS.
  • Schedule Aug 8th with a volunteer meeting at the Town Park to go over schedule and assign stations, had approximately 30 volunteers last year.
Want to go over the budget at the next Rotary meeting June 6th.
 
Assigned Rotarians to follow up on sponsorship. Task list updated below with assignments.
 
To-Do and In-Progress Task List, updated 30-May:
 
Everyone
  • Start actively soliciting sponsorship, and you can now also direct them to the website link for monetary donations.
Scott Cooper
  • Contact for sponsorship: Lizardhead Cyclery, Sparks Plumbing, Dunton Hot Springs, Town of Dolores
  • Contact fire department to clean road for Friday’s bike rodeo
  • Follow up with ZuMag for next article - IN PROGRESS.
  • Coordinate volunteer meeting a couple days prior to race, Aug 8th, Town Park
  • Check with Sheriff’s dept to see about someone to go over Rules of the Road on Friday
Denis Boon
  • Contact for sponsorship: Habitat For Humanity Cortez, Ute Coffee Shop
Ed Merritt
  • Go over bike race budget at June 6th meeting
  • Contact for sponsorship: Bru’s House of Color, Colorado Land & Title, Comfort Air, Dewayne Findlay Logging, Dolores General Store, Dolores State Bank, First National Bank of Cortez, Gonzalez Construction, Jarvis Insurance, Kelley R. McCabe PC, Vectra Bank
Shawn & Dani Gregory
  • Contact for sponsorship: Osprey, Johnson Physical Therapy,
  • Check with High Desert Devo to see if they want to send volunteer for kid’s bike parade.
  • See if we can get more metal trophies, need 136 - 150 more
  • See about a presence in Mountain Flyer Magazine
  • Give GPS coordinates to Forest Service - DONE
Rocky Moss
  • Contact other Chamber of Commerce’s with race info
  • Chip timing discussion - IN PROGRESS
  • Contact KSJS, KSUT, Cortez Journal, Moab with PSA
  • Drone to film race start?
  • Contact for sponsorship: Empire Electric
Mark Tucker
  • Secure USFS 5 year permit - IN PROGRESS
  • Contact for sponsorship: 2nd Avenue Sports, Cortez Electric, Dolores Liquors, Reflections in Metal,
Scott Clow
  • Coordinate volunteers for trails and aid stations
  • Reach out to Search and Rescue
  • Check color coded flagging on course
Dr. Burnside
  • Order Rules of the Road cards?
Tom Seymour
  • Secure County permit - In Progress
  • Work with Chris T on T-shirt style options
Chris Trusler
  • Work with Tom S. on T-shirt style options
  • Contact for sponsorship: New Country Auto Center
Shawna Valdez
  • Secure bandannas for kid’s bike rodeo
Lou Ann Jacobson Ball
  • Contact for sponsorship: Breitenbach Chiropractic, Slaven’s True Value
Lloyd Kramer
  • Secure 2-night stay at Sophia’s Retreat?
John Taveira
  • Contact for sponsorship: Big R of Cortez, Choice Ace Hardware, T Box Liquor, West View RV Park
Shannon Livick
  • Contact Kokopelli’s for sponsorship
Vic Veira
  • Contact for sponsorship: Royal Order of Rogue Bulls
Dave Sanford
  • Organize 1 aid station
Susan Lisak
  • Secure some corporate sponsorship for prize donations, sponsorship, and aid station donations (like Gatorade, PowerAde, Red Bull, Coca-Cola, Budweiser, Coors, etc). See if one of them want’s to pay to advertise on a Finish Line banner. IN PROGRESS
  • Email blast to past racers.
  • Collect last year’s racer data.
  • Add event to various websites to promote demand and early registration - IN PROGRESS
  • Send out copies of poster to other Rotary presidents
  • Contact for sponsorship: Amangiri, City Market, Encantos Products, IFA Country Stores
Meeting Minutes For: May 23rd, 2017
 
In Attendance: Rocky Moss, Scott Cooper, Darwin Cooper, Adam Barnhurst, Chris Trusler, Dr. Burnside, Denis Boon, Ed Merritt, Mark Tucker, Dave Sanford, Tom Seymour, Jenifer Hufman, Dan Jones, Susan Lisak, Val and Deanna Truelson, Paul Bilger, Kelly Matthews, Dean Matthews, Jeannie Matthews, Tristan Medina, Sue Garlick
 
Question of the Day? What is your favorite quote.
 
Club Business:
 
Jim Phillips and Patrick Colton scholarships - Have two applicants for the Patrick Colton scholarship and zero for the Jim Phillips scholarship. After some discussion, it was voted that both Patrick Colton applicants would each receive a $500 scholarship. Recipients are Kayleen Bowie and Bailey Boyd.
 
Kayleen has volunteered at the gun show, is on a shooting team and has earned expert classification, plays volleyball, member of high school leadership and National Honor Society.
 
Bailey is student class president, service learning project, set up the Color Fun Run for the Pinyon Project, and volunteers at the hospital weekly.
 
Student of the 4th quarter - Kelley Matthews, $250 scholarship recipient 
Kelley is involved in everything, she plays sports, does many community service activities, she’s on the board of the School Youth Community Collaborative, and does some social work. She is taking a year off to work for McCabe’s Law Office to gain experience, then she is going to Fort Lewis College to major in social work. Her aspiration is to become a family lawyer.
 
Rocky Moss says everything’s going great at the Visitor’s Center, she is getting a lot of good reviews from bikers on the McPhee Overlook Trail, she’s hired 2 people to work the Visitor’s Center. Go see the Weatherall family display at the Anasazi Heritage Center. 
 
School Updates: 

Chris Trusler noted that Football Camp is June 22 - 24 for grades K - 8 at the high school, 200 kids expected this year.

Chris T. and Jen H. talked about their track athletes and the races and awards they’ve garnered recently. Tristan Medina was present at the meeting and was at the most recent State Track meet with an eighth-place podium finish in the 110-meter hurdles, along with a seventh-place finish in the 300-meter hurdles. Tristan has also qualified for the state wrestling tournament twice, lettered four times on the football field and led the Bears basketball as a do-it-all point guard. https://the-journal.com/articles/48856-tristan-medina-paces-dolores-bears-at-state

Graduation ceremony is this Saturday at 10am

School construction projects:

Have a $110K grant to build a playground for middle school students on the SE corner, hopefully completed before school starts in the fall.

They will be moving a 2-room modular and renovating it to become the new Infant/toddler daycare center. Their current capacity is 8 infants and 8 toddlers, with possible expansion in the future. All spots are already taken. This will create 4 new jobs and fill a much needed demand for childcare. $38/day/child.

Scott is working on a planning grant for a School-Based Health Clinic, which they will try to apply for capital funds up to $500K, as well as applying for funds to manage the clinic for 3 years at a time. The clinic would be open during school days for ages 1 - 18yrs, and during the summer 1 day a week. Payment for services would be on a sliding scale, and will also provide needed behavioral health services.

Working on getting grants to build a school track. Was not chosen for one grant they applied to this year, are re-applying for next year and are looking at some other funding alternatives.

Chris Trusler recently went with some students on a Leader-to-Leader Summit, which was very good for the kids, they got to meet with team captains, Athletic Directors and stakeholders. Chris spoke about getting to jailbreak one of his favorite middle school students just recently diagnosed with leukemia out of hospital for a surprise visit with the Denver Broncos. They were able to live stream it back to the school. Jen Hufman talked about how two students decided they wanted to help with medical expenses for him and took it upon themselves to raise $4K on this student’s behalf.

Summer lunch program will begin soon for ages 1 - 18. Running for six weeks, providing programming sessions during lunch. Scott Cooper thanked the group again for the donations of supplies and cash.

Tom Seymour says he's pleased at how much Rotary is integrated with the schools, happy with the relationship, glad we have scholarships available, and it’s fantastic to see the positive changes over the last 8 years.

Discussed District grants for rotary. In order to be considered for any grants, someone needs to take the Rotary grant course every year.

Meeting adjourned at 7:30am

 

 
 

Meeting minutes for 5/9/17

 

In attendance: Susan Lisak, John Taveira, Ed Merritt, Denis Boon, Robbie Singer, Dave Sanford, Scott Cooper, Tom Seymour, Charley Miller, Dan Jones, Mark Tucker, Adam Barnhurst, Shawna Valdez, Eli Brown, Jeff Pope

 

Question of the day: If you could paint a picture of any place, where would that be?

 

Club Business & Announcements:  6:45am

 

Bike Race

  • After some discussion, decided to have the experts finish through the McPhee Overlook trail. Discussed possible alley traffic between cars, riders and runners. Also discussed adding a small prize ($50 - $100) to the top finisher who sets the new Expert time record. Ed called the vote to change, seconded by Scott C., and the motion passed. Will notify residents in that alley area a week prior to race.

  • Shawn Gregory rode the Expert route this past weekend, and will load all the updated maps onto the website this week.

  • Talked about adding a “squeeze” near the finish line, allowing only the space for 1 rider to get through the finish at a time.

  • Fun Run will not be timed. Endurance will start at 8am, Fun Run at 8:30am, and Expert, Sport and Beginner will depart at 9:50am, just before the parade starts at 10am.

  • Ed Merritt will be at the 12 Hours of Mesa Verde Race this Saturday, and will pick up the Sports drink mix donated by Tailwind Nutrition as well as give out our postcards for the bike race.

  • Bike race website has been updated, take a look and give any feedback for ideas and changes to Susan Lisak. www.doloresrace.com

  • Talked about getting bandannas for the Fun Run with the Rotary logo but no year information on them so they can be re-used in future years. Shawna will follow up with the printers on them.  Fun Run pricing is set at $10 per adult, $5 per child 18 & under.

  • Discussed using some of the student art work created last year as silent auction items, and see whether to repeat the project this year with the art students. Scott will research.

  • Dave Sanford reported a lot of leftover t-shirts in storage, along with some leftover goodie bag items that can be re-used for this year’s bags. Extra utensils and paper products in storage were donated to the Summer Lunch Program.

  • Next bike race meeting is May 30th, 6:30am.

An anonymous donation was made in the amount of $1000 to the Imagination Library and $500 to the Dolores Summer Lunch program. Rotary is going to contribute another $100 to the Lunch Program, for a total of $600 for the Lunch Program.

 

Jeff Pope - with KSJD Radio (ksjd.org)

  • Produces 5 daily newscasts a week

  • KSJD began in 1986 with a budget of $25K in the red, and today has a budget of $630K, employing 8.5ppl

  • They reside in the Montezuma bank building, along with the Sunflower theatre.

  • KSJD considers themselves a media organization, with audio, website, and digital access.

  • Major funding is through individuals and corporate sponsors, making up 80% of the annual revenue.

  • Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) gave KSJD $135K this year. With possible changes in the future for CBP to give funding, this may impact the future of the radio station as well.

  • KSJD has a large footprint of coverage around the Four Corners Region

  • Jeff Pope’s vision for the future is growing modestly, increasing entertainment, cultural aspects, getting digital cameras to record shows and feature them on Rocky Mountain PBS, as well as growing the news and reporting more local issues like the county commissioner’s meetings on Mondays.

  • Their sustained giving programs brings in about $35K annually.

 

Meeting adjourned at 7:30am

 

Agenda For: May 9th, 2017
 
Call to Order:   6:30am
  • Pledge of Allegiance
  • Inspiration
  • Question of the Day?  
 
Club Business & Announcements:  6:45am
 
  • Bike Race
    • Discuss whether to amend the course for the Expert riders to start the same way as the Sport & Beginners, but then go through the McPhee overlook trail and end the same route as the Endurance riders. If we decide to move ahead, the course record will need to be re-established, so no record breaking prizes will be given out this year.
    • Back alley route has been slightly changed to go down 4th street instead of 3rd due to private property.
    • Tailwind nutrition agreed to give us some of their product for their race. Rocky Gingg will be at the 12 hours of Mesa Verde this Saturday, where we can pick it up. Is anyone going to that event that can pick up the donation items for us?
  • Dolores Summer Lunch Program - $138 was collected via the group last week. Discuss whether to offer any other financial support and if there is availability in the budget.
 
Presentation:
 
  • 5/9 Jeff Pope with KSJD
 
Upcoming Presentations and Important Dates:
  • 5/16 Steve Nowlin, Montezuma County Sheriff
  • 5/20 Commodities giveaway
  • 5/23 Shandra Gibbs Minor with Shooter’s World
  • 6/17 Commodities giveaway
 

Meeting Minutes For: May 2nd, 2017

 

In Attendance: John Taveira, Dr. Burnside, Denis Boon, Susan Lisak, Paul Bilger, Scott Cooper, Darwin Cooper, Dana Hill, Shawna Valdez, Mark Tucker, Lou Ann Jacobson Ball, Dan Jones, Dave Sanford, Adam Barnhurst, Rob Singer, Ed Merritt, Rocky Moss, Ashley Schrage, Keith Procyk, Eli Brown

 

Call to Order:   6:30am

  • Pledge of Allegiance

  • Inspiration

  • Question of the Day?  Would you rather be a giant rodent or a tiny elephant?

 

Club Business & Announcements:  6:45am

  • April 25th Bingo update

    • We raised $220 from bingo sales, and $535 from auction sales. Another $100 came in afterwards, for a total of $855 for the Dolores Community Center.

  • Bike Race update

    • Discussed the possibility of adding a fun ride up and around the Boggy Draw trail. Mark will add it to forest service permit just in case.

    • Noted that the bike race proceeds will go towards Dolores High School Scholarships and RYLA (Rotary Youth Leadership Awards) recipients from Dove Creek, Dolores, and Mancos.

    • Raffle proceeds will benefit the Imagination Library and maybe one or two other entities. Tabled for further discussion. Raffle will be drawn near the end of the year.

    • Rocky will be sending bike race info in a special newsletter.

    • Update: the National History Day (NHD) students will be the ones in charge of coordinating the Family Fun Run. Jen Huffman, Dolores principal, will represent and will be invited to the next bike race meeting.

    • Back alleys are clear, and Shawna talked to the Town, and they saw no problems with us utilizing the alleyways during the bike race.

  • No change on the Rotary clubrunner website.  $420/year for subscription, Rocky and Susan mentioned the site was easy to navigate and upload info to and had all the past history of club info.

  • No more bingo until maybe July 29 at the Dolores River Campground to benefit the Dolores River Campground. The campground may serve alcohol and set up live music. No one is set yet as beneficiaries for the September and October bingos. Rocky wanted to try setting up an additional bingo in August and will fill out the necessary paperwork should we move forward with that. If it goes well, Rocky said we should consider running bingo all summer.

  • Question was posed about the Facebook page. Rocky has been upkeeping http://facebook.com/doloresrotaryclub. Any other pages or sites that may have been set up in the past are not known and are no longer being updated. Rocky will give Susan access to the FaceBook page to post and make changes.

  • Scott introduced Keith Procyk, a candidate for school counselor from Pittsburgh, PA. Wanted to tour the area before deciding to accept a position at the school.  Will be here until Wednesday morning before flying back.

  • Chamber of Commerce banquet was a success, will be able to fund scholarships from the monies donated.

  • Visitor’s Center is now open! Rocky was able to hire a part time student.

 

Presentation -

Ashley Schrage, PTA President and Site Coordinator of the Summer Lunch Program

  • This is Ashley’s 3rd summer running the summer lunch program.

  • Served over 3200 meals over the last two summers, forecasting 1200 meals this season.

  • Program is 6 weeks long, begins in June with about 50 kids a day, Mon - Thurs, 11:30am to 12:30pm, free to kids 18 and under.

  • Most of the kids who attend would normally be wandering around the area during the summer months, many without adequate nutrition. This programs serves as a focusing point, giving them something to do and a place to go, along with a good meal.

  • There are different themed days to provide programming during lunch time, and this year Ashley is looking to expand the programming, like having the students harvesting food from the Montezuma school to farm program.

  • In need of many supplies, like forks, spoons, plates, bowls, napkins, paper towels, trash bags, soap, disinfectant spray, temperature gun, spray bottles etc.

  • Any supply donations can be dropped off to Scott Cooper at his office, or can be brought to the next Rotary meeting.

  • Working on partnering with a restaurant to provide the food for the program.

  • Ashley is also asking for any financial support the Rotary can provide. Members will discuss at next meeting.

  • A donation cup was passed around, and $138 was collected to help pay for an IR thermometer and other supplies.

 

Upcoming Presentations and Important Dates:

  • 5/9 Jeff Pope with KSJD

  • 5/16 Steve Nowlin, Montezuma County Sheriff

  • 5/20 Commodities giveaway

  • 5/23 Shandra Gibbs Minor with Shooter’s World

  • 6/17 Commodities giveaway

Bike Race Meeting Minutes For: April 25, 2017

 

In Attendance: Dr. Burnside, Tom Seymour, Dave Sanford, Scott Cooper, Darwin Cooper, Ed Merritt, Mark Tucker, Shawna Valdez, Rocky Moss, Dani Gregory, Susan Lisak

 

Meeting Minutes:

  • 50 mile Endurance - decided to use the back alleys to get to the McPhee Overlook trail.  Shawna will talk with the Town of Dolores about it. This route will only be for the 50-milers and the Family Fun Run. The 31, 18 and 13-milers will keep the same route as years prior. Possible problems of back alleys could be foot traffic and blocking off parking.

  • Start time for the Family Fun Run was discussed and determined that 8:30am was the best time to start it, giving the runner’s time to get back and participate in the parade if needed. Will need to finalize route and create a map. Will start the same as the 50-milers along back alleys, but then will go under the bridge onto the River Trail for 2.5K, then turn around and come back for a total of 5K. Susan will run it to determine GPS coordinates of the 2.5K turnaround point.
  • Discussed whether to have a packet pickup available the day prior, maybe stationed at Kokopelli's or LizardHead. It was tabled for further discussion, but initial thoughts were that in prior years, there was not enough time to get the packets done any earlier unless we cut off registration earlier.

  • Packet pickup on the morning of the race will be open from 7am to 9:30am.

  • Discussed whether to spread out the start times for the 31, 18, and 13 mile racers. No, we want them to start at the same time with the fire truck acting as the pace vehicle until they start up the hill, which will spread them out. Worked well in years prior and that way they start just prior to the parade.

  • We checked in storage, and we have plenty of bibs for this years race. Shawna has the ties for the bibs.

  • Discussed whether we wanted to explore a better timing system.  Rocky has been in contact with Rocky Mountain timing systems (located in Mancos) for RFID chip timers and got an initial estimate of $600.  Will see if they will donate some of the cost or trade with sponsorship, or if we don't need bibs what the altered estimate would be.

  • Will keep the cash prizes the same as last year.  $100/$75/$50 for the top 3 in each class/category/gender.  $500 additional prize if anyone beats the 31-mile expert course record for men and/or women. Cash prize for the first rider to cross the cattle guard, one for each start time (either $50 or $100). Last year, we spent $1325 on prize money, which was lower than estimated because we didn’t have anyone in some of the age categories.

  • Counted trophies in storage and have around 60 of them, which will be given to the top 3 in each age group in each category. Possibly need 96 trophies if there is at least 3 in each age category.

  • Discussed whether it would be possible to sell raffle tickets through IMathelete.  No, since rules for raffles say that any tickets purchased must be paid with by cash. Will try to assign volunteers to sell raffle tickets during the race, and have some Rotarians sell them at their businesses.

  • Discussed whether to have the raffles go towards a specific cause and not just Rotary, which may get more people to purchase tickets.  Will decide at next business meeting what 3 causes the raffles will go towards. Decided that the raffle will be a general drawing for all the items that get donated to us.  The winners will get to pick the raffle item they want in the order that they get drawn.

  • Kokopelli told us that they will donate $500 in goodie bag items in exchange for their name/logo on T-shirt.

  • Discussed the need to further promote all the things that Rotary does before and during the race.

  • Rocky will spearhead advertising on Facebook. Thinks it would cost around $50. Will check with Chamber to see if they will donate the cost.

  • Discussed having postcards available for the Pueblo-to-Pueblo race as well as 12 hours of Mesa Verde. Discussed whether we could have a table at the 12 Hours of Mesa Verde (May 13) promoting Dolores, tourism, the bike race and Rotary. Maybe display a pic of the bike rider on the cliff above McPhee, or have copies of Zumag. Dani will reach out and see. Can sign up to volunteer at 12 hours of Mesa Verde thru IMathelete.

Meeting adjourned at 7:30am

Bike Race Agenda For April 25, 2017
 
50 mile Endurance - Final decisions on route
  • Start time for the Family Fun Run? Need to finalize route they will take.
  • Discuss if it’s possible to have a packet pickup available the day prior.
  • Should we keep packet pickup/late registration open from 7am-9:30am? Last year it was listed as 7-7:30am, then 8-9am.
  • Do we want to spread out the start times for the 31, 18, and 13 mile racers? All 3 started at 9:50am last year.
  • Where do we get the bibs?
  • Do we want to explore a better timing system?
  • What cash prizes do we want to set up?
  • We can set up raffle ticket sales through IMathelete. Any legal issues?
  • Should we set aside $50 or so to advertise on Facebook?

Tasks, updated 24-April

Everyone
  • Forms were emailed out, please start actively soliciting sponsorship, or you can now also direct them to the website link for monetary donations. Or send Susan Lisak their business info and contact person, and she will send out sponsorship requests on your behalf
Scott Cooper
  • Contact Lizardhead bike shop for sponsorship
  • Reach out to district Rotary with race info - DONE, see www.rotary5470.org, event is now listed on website.
  • Advertising opportunities thru Rotary? Pricing?
Shawn & Dani Gregory -
  • Need map updated of 50-mile Endurance course once route finalized
  • Need map of 5K Fun Run created once route finalized
  • Contact Osprey for sponsorship
  • Work with Susan Lisak to update doloresrace.com with info and updated maps
Rocky Moss -
  • Order 100 posters 11 x 17
  • Contact other Chamber of Commerce’s with race info
  • Update bike race Facebook page - DONE
Ed Merritt -
  • Need Tax ID Number for IMathelete.com
  • Need tax deductible forms in electronic or paper format to send out.
Mark Tucker -  
  • Secure USFS 5 year permit
  • Touch base with Taz at Dolores Food Market for sponsorship and T-shirt details for this year
  • Goodie bag count - DONE, 116 bags currently
Tom Seymour -
  • Secure County permit
  • T-shirt style options?
Chris Trusler
  • T-shirt style options?
  • Invite key track members to attend bike race meetings to coordinate fun run
Lloyd
  • Secure 2-night stay at Sophia’s Retreat?
Shannon Livick
  • Contact Kokopelli’s for sponsorship
Shawna Valdez
  • Send electronic manual to Scott C. - DONE, both Susan & Scott have copies.
Scott Clow -
  • Elevations Magazine’s new due date for next issue?
Dave Sanford -
  • Organize 1 aid station
Susan Lisak
  • Mail letters to sponsors in April - IN PROGRESS.
  • Secure some corporate sponsorship for prize donations, sponsorship, and aid station donations (like Gatorade, PowerAde, Red Bull, Coca-Cola, Budweiser, Coors, etc). See if one of them want’s to pay to advertise on a Finish Line banner.
  • Secure 2-night stay at Enchantment resort for rider prizes/door prizes - DONATION LETTER SENT AND ACKNOWLEDGED.
  • Email blast to past racers.
  • Collect last year’s racer data.
  • Set up IMathelete registration - DONE
  • Update doloresrace.com info with reader friendly info
  • Add event to various websites to promote demand and early registration - IN PROGRESS
 

Meeting minutes: April 18, 2017
In Attendance: Carl Buchta, Dr. Burnside, Denis Boon, Dave Sanford, Vic Viera, Mark Tucker, Paul Bilger, Charley Miller, Adam Barnhurst, Marshall Roberts, Karen Harbaugh, Ed Merritt, Jennifer Huffman, Scott Cooper, Darwin Cooper, Abby Melarchick, Judy Melarchick, Steven Melarchick, Eli Brown, Susan Lisak
 
Question of the day: Does anybody have a tattoo, and if you wanted one, what would it be?
 
Club Business and announcements:
  • Denis passed out thank you letters from kids in Dove Creek regarding the dictionaries they received.
  • Bike race - meeting is next Tuesday, April 25th
    • Already have a few posters available which will be left in the back room of the Ponderosa if anyone would like to grab one.  Bigger posters coming out soon.  
    • Will try to send someone out to the Broncos meet and greet at the Park de Vida next week to see about corporate sponsorship, maybe tickets for a game for the raffle.
    • Enchantment Resort, Dunton Hot Springs, Far View lodge, and the Metate Room Restaurant have also been contacted for raffle donations.
    • Susan has the imathelete.com logon info now, and will set up the registration.  She is also working with Shawn on updating info on the website.
  • Jen Huffman introduced Abby Melarchick (sp?), who is the Student of the Quarter.  Abby is senior class salutatorian, and getting her Associates degree in Cosmetology while still attending high school.
  • Question was asked about next year’s scholarships.  Do we automatically budget for that?  Yes.
  • Bingo is next Tuesday, Apr 25th, benefitting the Dolores Community Center.
  • Last week we tabled a motion made by Charley to donate $100 to Habitat for Humanity in honor of Denis' mother who recently passed. Motion seconded by Scott, voted and passed.  Denis will make a contributing match of $100.
  • Marshall brought a plaque that he received featuring a picture of his ship (USS Portland) from his service days and he gave a talk about his time on it
Presentation by Karen Harbaugh from Muscanell Millworks (http://www.muscanell.com)
Hardwood Tree Report:
  • Standing hardwood volume has doubled in the last 50 years, with 48% more trees over 11” in diameter than in 1977.
  • The U.S. wood industry only harvests 42% of the annual growth, leaving a surplus each year to build forest reserves.
History of Muscanell Millworks
  • Doug Muscanell graduated with a forestry degree and worked in several aspects of the lumber milling process, then after visiting the area decided to settle down in Cortez and open up his own mill.  With meticulous quality standards, Doug and Karen began producing precisely-milled, long-length hardwood flooring specially adapted to the arid climate of the intermountain and southwest regions.
Company Information
  • Muscanell Millworks sells mainly to hardwood floor distributors, although it is possible to buy from them directly by appointment.
  • They also use the hardwood grindings and shavings to produce Woodchuck Fire Logs, which have no glues or other additives.
  • They take additional drying steps to bring the moisture content of their wood from 10% to a 5-7% moisture range prior to milling, which reduces shrinkage and movement in arid climates.
  • They reuse their wood by-product to heat their building
  • They are committed to quality, with a highly trained, quality conscious staff

 

Agenda For: April 18th, 2017

Call to Order:   6:30am

  • Pledge of Allegiance
  • Inspiration
  • Question of the Day?  
Club Business & Announcements:  6:45am
  • Don’t forget to purchase your tickets for the Chamber of Commerce Spring Banquet April 22nd benefitting scholarships for Dolores High School Graduates.  Gin & Jazz, roaring 20’s theme at the Dolores Community Center.  $35/pp.  6pm cocktails, 7pm dinner, silent auctions, awards, and a fun memorable time.
  • Posters for bike race will be printed soon.  Thinking we need 100 copies, thoughts?
  • Bingo and bike race meeting is next week, April 25th
Presentation:
  • Karen Harbaugh with Muscanell Millworks
Upcoming Presentations and Important Dates:
  • 4/25 BINGO - benefitting the Dolores Community Center
  • 5/9 Jeff Pope with KSJD
  • 5/16 Steve Nowlin, Montezuma County Sheriff
  • 5/23 Shandra Gibbs Minor with Shooter’s World
Meeting Minutes For: April 11th, 2017
 
In attendance: Susan Lisak, Dan Jones, Dana Hill, Scott Cooper, Darwin Cooper, Dr. Alan Burnside, Denis Boon, Mark Tucker, Dave Sanford, Vic Viera, Lou Ann Jacobson Ball, Adam Barnhurst, Charley Miller, Paul Bilger
 
Question of the day? Tell one of your bucket list goals.
 
Club Business & Announcements:  
  • Sponsor letters and forms are available on Google docs for personalization or handing out.  A few copies were delivered at the meeting, with thanks to Charley for filling one out immediately and being the first official sponsor! Everyone is also welcome to send any sponsor leads to Susan Lisak (slisak@hotmail.com, 928-380-1871) and she will happily follow up sending out a sponsor letter on your behalf.
  • Make sure to purchase your tickets for the Chamber of Commerce Spring Banquet April 22nd benefitting scholarships for Dolores High School Graduates.  Gin & Jazz, roaring 20’s theme at the Dolores Community Center.  $35/pp.  6pm cocktails, 7pm dinner, silent auctions, awards, door prizes. Come dressed up in your finest!
  • Further discussion on Rotary’s stance on firearms and how it may impact our annual gun raffle. Since Rotary is taking the stance of not affiliating with firearms or organizations that promote firearms, it makes it difficult to hold a raffle where guns are in high demand.  Darwin suggested raffling a old musket that is really only for decoration. If we do go ahead with a gun raffle, then it was suggested a long gun be the raffle item.
  • Raffle items - we need to try to get any future raffle items donated to us, instead of the organization purchasing them.  It was mentioned that in order to complete the necessary paperwork to hold a raffle, we need to have the item in hand, either purchased or donated, with a breakdown of where the money is going. We will try to contact local hotels to see if they will donate a vacation package, will try for Dunton Hot Springs, a stay in Mesa Verde, a train ride, etc.  Scott and Susan will do some research and bring back info on Tuesday.
  • Bike race - after further discussion, it was decided not to try crossing Hwy 145 this year, but keep all the research for next year’s race.  The next bike race meeting will be Tuesday, April 25th, 6:30am.
  • Barbara Coloroso will be presenting at the Dolores High School gym on April 11th, 6pm.  She is the author of many books on parenting and bullying.  Scott expects around 300 people.  Free admission. Handouts on her lecture is available at https://doloresschools.org/
  • SAT testing is today (April 11th) 8am for students
  • Epic Day is Wednesday, April 12th for 8th graders from Mancos and Dolores. Classes on how to prepare for high school, and how to resolve conflict and get along.
  • Broncos football team will be coming to town on April 21st, 4:30pm at the Park de Vida pavillion area.  Do a promotional tour and meet & greet.
  • Charley proposed a donation to Habitat for Humanity on behalf of Denis’ mother.  Seconded by Scott, but tabled until next week to determine funds available.
  • Dave Sanford noted that the RYLA students have been selected, and that he opened up his schedule so that he can take them up to the conference on June 16 - 19.
  • The grant has been written for the dictionary giveaway.  Need some budget information.
  • Two students from Operation Graduation thanked the Rotary Club for their recent Bingo Night donation of $977, which will be used towards laptops and fitbits.
 
Presentation by Tom & Lucy Butler with Mesa View Yak Ranch - http://mesaviewyakranch.com/
  • Did you know:
    • Bull yaks can weigh as much as 1600 lbs, but cows are smaller, around 700-800 lbs.
    • Yaks eat about ⅓ of what a beef cow would eat.
    • Their downy fibers are some of the finest and softest
    • You can currently taste or buy their meat at The Farm Bistro, FB Organics, and Zuma Natural Foods
    • They also have registered breeding stock for sale and offer Ag Tourism where you can meet and pet the yaks.
Agenda For: April 11th, 2017
 
Call to Order:   6:30am
  • Pledge of Allegiance
  • Inspiration
  • Question of the Day?  
Club Business & Announcements:  6:45am
  • Sponsor letters updated and available to begin handing out.
  • Further discussion on Rotary’s stance on firearms and how it may impact our annual gun raffle.
Presentation:
 
Tom Butler with Mesa View Yak Ranch
 
Upcoming Presentations and Important Dates:
  • 4/18 Karen Harbaugh - Muscanell Millworks
  • 4/25 BINGO - benefitting the Dolores Community Center
  • 5/9 Jeff Pope with KSJD
  • 5/16 Steve Nowlin, Montezuma County Sheriff
  • 5/23 Shandra Gibbs Minor with Shooter’s World
SPECIAL
Sponsor Form for 2017 Escalante Bike Race - HERE
Minutes For: April 4th, 2017
 
Members Present: Lou Ann Jacobson Ball, Denis Boon, Eli Brown, Allan Burnside,, Susan Lisak, Rocky Moss, Dave Sanford, Tom Seymour, Lou Ann Jacobsen, Scott Cooper, Darwin Cooper, Adam Barnhurst
 
Call to Order:   6:30am
  • Pledge of Allegiance
  • Inspiration
  • Question of the Day?  Ed Merritt, your favorite story about a trip on a train
Club Business & Announcements:  6:45am
  • Commodities Report: Sue Fletcher has indicated to the club that the commodities availability will be light, forthcoming
  • Bingo report, March 28th for Operation Graduation- Allan Burnside reported that a total of $977 was raised for Operation Graduation. Next Bingo benefits the Dolores Community Center. Discussion ensued regarding our rent with the Dolores Community Center vs. rules regarding donations to an entity with which we do business, rent. Ed and Allan discussed, and we are not violating any terms of licensing as the money raised is a donation, separate from the one-time rent we pay. (may need further clarification on this from Ed/Allan)
  • Clarification of Rotary International Stance on Firearms in Conjunction with Rotary Club Fundraising or Affiliation:
    Dave Sanford brought to the Club's attention that Rotary has clarified its stance on firearms and association with Club Policy.  Rotary International has clarified its statement on firearms in its Rotary Code of Policies (LINK HERE) to state specifically:
"2.100. Clubs and Districts and Guns, Weapons or Other Armaments - Rotary clubs, Rotary districts and other Rotary Entities shall not sell or otherwise transfer ownership of guns, weapons or other armaments, nor participate in activities where such items shall be sold or given away, such as raffles, even if the Rotary Entity is not the owner of the item(s). Rotary clubs, Rotary districts and other Rotary Entities shall not conduct or sponsor any gun shows or other exhibitions involving guns, weapons or other armaments or accept sponsorship from any entity whose primary business is the sale or manufacturer of guns, weapons or other armaments. Rotary Code of Policies 12 June 2017 Sponsorships are relationships with other organizations which benefit the club or district or their project(s) in image-enhancing, promotional, monetary or other ways." (January 2017 Mtg., Bd. Dec. 96) Source: January 2017 Mtg., Bd. Dec. 96
 
This decision may impact the Dolores Rotary Club's annual pistol rifle, which typically takes place in December at our annual holiday dinner. Further discussion will ensue as to how we will address this issue. Item tabled for further investigation and discussion; Allan Burnside advised that we typically make a decision on the December raffle by mid-June.
  • Review of Bike Race Meeting 3/28 - Discussed printing (Rocky will get a quote from Pioneer Printing; Susan obtained quote below from SW Printing); bike route (may take coordination with CDOT if we use path that crosses Hwy 145; Sponsor Coordination for T-Shirts will be Susan; Shirts need to be submitted w/ all artwork by end of July; course decision needs to be made by 5/8; 5k course is pending, Scott and Chris getting the right players in place to coordinate the 5k Fun Run; Registration for the race will be open by 4/8. Discussion about ways to raise more funding, Susan posited that the best way is through direct sponsorship or donations. Discussion made about a big-ticket item to raffle, such as ATV or similar. Some discussion about Tom and Rocky approaching local ATV/Offroad racing manufacturer to see if donation could be made.
11 x 17 no bleed, 50-100+ posters,  - 70 cents ea.
12x18 with bleed, 50-100+ posters, - 90 cents ea.
18x24 posters, $16 ea. (or 200 for $300)
  • Presentation: None
Upcoming Presentations and Important Dates:
  • 4/11 Butler’s Yak Ranch
  • 4/18 Karen Harbaugh - Muscanell Millworks
  • 4/25 BINGO - benefiting Dolores Community Center
  • 5/9 Jeff Pope with KSJD
  • 5/16 Steve Nowlin, Montezuma County Sheriff
  • 5/23 Shandra Gibbs Minor with Shooter’s World
 

 
Agenda For: April 4th, 2017
 
Call to Order:   6:30am
  • Pledge of Allegiance
  • Inspiration
  • Question of the Day?  
 
Club Business & Announcements:  6:45am
  • Commodities report from April 1st
 
  • Bingo report, March 28th for Operation Graduation
 
  • Discuss number/sizes of posters we want to print for bike race
    • 11x17 no bleed, 50-100+ posters,  - 70 cents ea.
    • 12x18 with bleed, 50-100+ posters, - 90 cents ea.
    • 18x24 posters, $16 ea. (or 200 for $300)
 
  • Review of Bike Race Meeting
    • Course start and end discussion
    • Sponsor forms
 
Presentation:
  • None
 
Upcoming Presentations and Important Dates:
  • 4/11 Butler’s Yak Ranch
  • 4/18 Karen Harbaugh - Muscanell Millworks
  • 4/25 BINGO - benefitting the Dolores Community Center
  • 5/9 Jeff Pope with KSJD
  • 5/16 Steve Nowlin, Montezuma County Sheriff
  • 5/23 Shandra Gibbs Minor with Shooter’s World
 
 

Meeting minutes: March 28th, 2017 Bike Race Meeting

 

In Attendance: Susan Lisak, Carl Buchta, Dan Jones, Ed Merritt, Scott Clow, Dr. Burnside, Mark Tucker, Tom Seymour, Shawna Valdez, Mike and Megan with Geer Park Trail Series

 

50 mile Endurance Route -

  • Discussed two possible routes that Shawn Gregory recommended.  We wanted more information before making a decision.

    • Option 1 (see map below) comes back on the river trail and crosses over Hwy 145 just before the finish line. This will require CDOT involvement because it crosses the highway - Scott Cooper and Rocky to check with CDOT as to  what will be required to make this happen.

 
    • Option 2 (see map below) was to use alleyways for outbound and inbound.  Alleyways could have cars and people, and may need to be cleared during race.  As long as correct signage is present, bikers should have no problem navigating.



 

Course Maps

  • Discussed printing of course maps on the back of the posters and felt it was not needed.  Most will be hung on walls, and for those wanting a map, it’s available on the website.  May add to tri-fold brochure or postcard.

Printing costs

  • Decided to print postcards in-house instead of sending to printers, Shawna to coordinate with Susan on design and amount.

  • Will need to finalize with Scott Cooper how many posters and what sizes to go with.  Once decided, Susan will send info to printers.

Geer Park Trail Series Runs

  • Mike and Megan with the Geer Park Trail Series spoke about setting up their runs. They use Ultrasignup.com for registering, which includes a timing app to keep track of racer’s times, event income, and racer demographics.  Their 4 mile race set for this Saturday (April 1st) may be delayed to the following week due to weather.  Follow them on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GeerParkTrailSeries/

Sponsors

  • April is the time to start collecting sponsorships to help pay for T-shirts and other expenses. All rotarians need to assist with getting sponsors, please reach out to friends/family/colleagues/businesses you frequent and present with sponsorship request, form forthcoming next week.

  • Many larger corporations need more lead time, this is also the time to send off requests for 2018 donations and sponsors so they can include in next year’s budget.

Elevations Magazine

  • ~$500 to advertise in their fall issue.  Scott Clow to send new deadline details and circulation information so we can have more discussion on whether to participate.

  • Already submitted event details to their online calendar, free of charge

Website

  • still needs active registration link, and fun run added.  

Goodie Bags

  • We have 116 goodie bags.  They have last years sponsors and say 18th Annual on them, but we feel it’s okay to use.  We can try reaching out to vendors for additional bags if we need them.  


 
Minutes March 21, 2017
Call to order
  • In attendance: Ruby Gonzales, Charley Miller, Andrew Schafer, Dave Sanford, Mark Tucker, Ed Merritt, Denis Boon, Dr. Alan Burnside, Adam Barnhurst, Dana Hill, Dan Jones, Tom Seymour, Shawna Valdez, Paul Bilger, Susan Lisak, Joe and Jean Becker
  • Pledge of Allegiance
  • Inspiration
  • Question of the Day?  Favorite flower in honor of spring
Club Business & Announcements
  • Cortez Rotary - no updates on possible merge, Denis suspects the answer is no, but the Cortez president is still waiting on surveys from their members
  • March 28th - next bike meeting @ 6:30am. Come prepared to talk about your tasks.
  • April 22nd - Chamber Spring Banquet - Roaring Twenties theme.  
    • Banquet is to raise money for student graduates.  
    • Ruby and Rocky have tickets available for purchase for $35/pp.
    • Venue will be at the Dolores Community Center and catered by the Ponderosa Restaurant
    • 6-7pm cocktails, 7pm dinner.  
    • Giving out the Citizen of the Year and Business Person of the Year awards.  Nominations for either still being accepted for another week. You can nominate online at doloreschamber.com or in writing, drop off at the Pondo
  • Health Fair at Rec Center, Saturday March 25th
  • $155 raised by passing the mug for Montelores Early Childhood Council (MECC). Tom proposed an additional $150 donation by Rotary, seconded by Dr. Burnside and passed.
  • Adam Barnhurst is now an official member of the Dolores Rotary, needs induction ceremony.
  • Update: The Facebook page for the bike race is up and running, please follow, repost and share with friends and family. https://www.facebook.com/DoloresRotaryClub/
  • Gun raffle update - Charley received a call from winner saying he would get in touch soon for delivery info.
  • Bingo update - Dr. Burnside noted that whenever our gross receipts for bingo go over $500, we have to pay a .5% tax, which equates to $37.00 for 2016.  Ed Merritt to write check.
 
Presentation:
Upcoming Presentations and Important Dates:
  • 3/28 BINGO - benefitting Operation Graduation
  • 4/11 Butler’s Yak Ranch
  • 4/18 Karen Harbaugh - Muscanell Millworks
  • 4/25 BINGO - benefitting the Dolores Community Center
  • 5/9 Jeff Pope with KSJD
  • 5/16 Steve Nowlin, Montezuma County Sheriff
  • 5/23 Shandra Gibbs Minor with Shooter’s World
Adjourned at 7:30am
 
Minutes March 14, 2017
Call to Order:   6:30am
  • In attendance: Paul Bilger, Dan Jones, Adam Barnhurst, Chris Trussler, Tom Seymour, Carl Buchta, Joanie Colton, Alan Burnside, Denis Boon, Ed Merritt, Mark Tucker, Save Sanford, Vic Viera, Susan Lisak, John Taveira, Charley Miller, Rocky Moss, Shawna Valdez, Katrina Lindus, Darwin Cooper, Scott Cooper, Bill Ordemann, Scott Clow
  • Pledge of Allegiance , Denis
  • Inspiration , Dave
  • Question of the Day?  Daylight of savings time??  March Madness ?
 
Club Business & Announcements:  6:45am
  • Cortez Rotary - Welcome to Adam Barnhurst!
  • June 6th D-Day
  • Next Commodities:  April 1st Fools Day
  • BINGO Report, March 28th next bingo to benefit the Dolores High School Operation Graduation
  • RYLA Report, Dave, Rotary Youth Leadership Awards,  Summer Camp for 6 students. June 16th --- 19th … Need a rotarian to lead this group.  Sue Garlick will chaperon if no one else is willing… ? Dave will bring application.
  • Bike Race Update, “Riding to Make a Difference”... Scott Clow recommended we advertise with Elevations Mag. Also suggested that we add a field to our registration page to ask where the rider heard about the race, so we can target market next year; Scott is working with Susan Lisak on PR and Marketing.
  • Montelores Early Childhood Council (MECC) http://monteloresecc.org Katrina Lindus presented, requeted donation to help with their upcoming family fair at the rec center.   Requested a donation; passed the mug… $155 raised
  • Jen Hufman, DHS Principal is asking for NHD volunteers, Mar. 17th, 12:00-7:00pm
  • Chamber Update: Spring Banquet April 22 - doloreschamber.com; Citizen and Business of the Year will be presented at the Chamber Banquet. Nominations due March30th, can nominate online dolorechamber.com or drop written nomination off at Ponderosa. Chamber is hiring a part-time visitor center representative for Saturdays/Sundays, 14 hours a week, beginning May 1. Rocky will send the position description to DHS, Scott and Chris and the position will be posted online 
  • Health Fair at Rec Center March 25th
  • Approved $100 membership from Rotary to Chamber - check given to Rocky.  
  • Patrick Holten Scholarship… Alan Burnside will look for the application.
Presentaton:
  • Native American Environmental Issues, Scott Clow:  7:10-7:30am - Scott presented on environmental concerns and work that's being done on the tribal lands around Colorado and Utah. For more information or follow-up, contact Scott at sclow@utemountain.org. Additional information about the Environmental program can be found at http://www.utemountainuteenvironmental.org/index.cfm/contact-ute-mountain-ute-environmental-program/
  • Darwin Cooper would like to present in the future.
 
Upcoming Presentations and Important Dates:
  • 3/21 Galloping Goose
  • 3/28 BINGO - benefitting Operation Graduation
  • 4/11 Butler’s Yak Ranch
  • 4/18 Karen Harbaugh - Muscanell Millworks
  • 4/25 BINGO - benefitting the Dolores Community Center
  • 6/13 - Dolores, Mancos, Cortez Tri-City Chambers will present
  • 6/20 Tentative: Dolores River Boating Advocates
Agenda For: March 14th, 2017
 
Call to Order  6:30am
  • Welcome Guests!   
  • Pledge of Allegiance
  • Inspiration
  • Question of the Day?
Club Business & Announcements  6:45am
  • Cortez Rotary
  • June 6th D-Day
  • Commodities Report
  • BINGO Report
  • RYLA Report, Dave, Rotary Youth Leadership Awards,  Summer Camp for 6 students. June 16th --- 19th … Need a rotarian to lead this group.  Sue Garlick will chaperon if no one else is willing… ?
  • Bike Race Update, “Riding to Make a Difference”
  • Montelores Early Childhood Council (MECC) http://monteloresecc.org ---> 5min for Katrina Lindus
  • Jen Hufman, DHS Principal is asking for NHD volunteers, Mar. 17th, 12:00-7:00pm
  • April 22nd Earth Day! Chamber Spring Banquet to raise money for student graduates - link to tickets HERE!
  • Health Fair at Rec Center March 25th
Presentation
  • Native American Environmental Issues, Scott Clow:  7:10-7:30am
Upcoming Presentations and Important Dates:
  • 3/21 Galloping Goose
  • 3/28 BINGO - benefitting Operation Graduation
  • 4/11 Butler’s Yak Ranch
  • 4/18 Karen Harbaugh - Muscanell Millworks
  • 4/25 BINGO - benefiting the Dolores Community Center
The Dolores Rotary Club presented the Montezuma County DAV with a donation from the Rotary Bingo held Tuesday, February 28, 2017. 
 
 
Call to Order:
  • Welcome Guests!  24 Rotarians Present
  • Pledge of Allegiance , Denis
  • Inspiration , Dave
  • Question of the Day??,, Ed  Do you have any siblings ?
 
Club Business & Announcements:
  • Business Meeting, Denis
  • Commodities Report, Charly provided an update.  Good Turnout. 26 boxes of food for families.   
  • BINGO Report, Alan, $1,130 raised for the DAV
  • RYLA Report, Dave, Rotary Youth Leadership Awards,  Summer Camp for 6 students. June 16th --- 19th … Need a Rotarian to lead this group.   
  • PETS Report, Scott , When is the next International meeting? And Where? Scott will summarize notes and send out to club.
  • Bike Race Update.  Scott/Chris will research a student group to lead the fun run, the theme of our race is "Riding to Make a Difference:
  • Jen Hufman is asking for volunteers for NHD, Mar. 17th
  • April 22nd Earth Day! Also the Chamber Spring Banquet to raise money for 2017 DHS Graduates. Tickets are available from any Chamber Board Member, or online at www.doloreschamber.com Theme this year is "Gin & Jazz" Roaring 20s. Dress up!
  • 9News Health Fair at Rec Center March 25th
 
Upcoming Presentations and Important Dates:
  • 3/14 Scott Clow - NatAmer Envir Issues
  • 3/21 Galloping Goose
  • 3/28 BINGO - benefitting Operation Graduation
  • 4/11 Butler’s Yak Ranch
  • 4/18 Karen Harbaugh - Muscanell Millworks
  • 4/25 BINGO - to benefit the Dolores Community Center

 
 

Home Page News