Student of the Month

Andrew Muller                          Image may contain: 1 person, standing                                                                        January 18, 2017
ROTARY ESSAY
           Ever since I was a very young boy, I have been fascinated with building things and understanding how things work. Even when I was very little, I would take my toys apart just to build them back together again, so that I could understand why and how they worked.  As I have gotten older, I have developed interests in coding and robotics for the same reasons.  I don’t think that I’ll ever outgrow this fascination with wanting to understand how things operate and fit together, which is why I would like to become a Mechanical Engineer.
           People who become Mechanical Engineers have strong STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) skills and interests. As a middle school student, I believe that I am beginning to fit into this category. I have strong science and mathematics skills and am a member of the Robotics Club. For fun, I spend time computer programming and reading physics textbooks. Once I am in high school, I plan to do my best to stay on the advanced math track and will take as many STEM courses that I can. Of course, I’ll continue to focus on earning excellent grades and learning as much as possible. 
           The training required for this career is a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering. I would like to attend a highly regarded engineering school such as Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Carnegie Mellon University or Stevens Institute of Technology. Some of the coursework will include Engineering and Machine Design, Thermodynamics, Advanced Physics and Kinematics. After earning my Bachelor of Science degree, my plan is to continue school to earn a Master of Science Degree in Engineering so that I can have the potential to work in a high level role as a Mechanical Engineer.
           Mechanical Engineers have made discoveries and advances in technology so that people can live in the modern world as we know it.  They work in many job sectors including the aerospace, defense, pharmaceutical and automotive industries.  I am looking forward to pursuing this career and experiencing all of the steps that it will take to get there. Through my education, I will develop the skills and knowledge to be able to work in this amazing field of science. As a Mechanical Engineer, my hope is to be a part of improving the way people live in our society.

Andrew Diodato

Language Arts 8

Mrs. Blackstone

June 5, 2014                                                                                       

My Future—Physical Therapy

As you get older some questions are asked more often, such as, “What do you want to be when you grow up”.  Some people know the answer, while others do not.  I have a plan and this plan will lead me to success in the future.  I would like to become a physical therapist, specifically to work with sports injuries.In order to become a physical therapist you need to have a graduate degree in physical therapy and pass a state exam.  Each year you will need to take additional courses to keep up to date on new information.  Included in this degree are science courses such as Chemistry, Biology, and Physics, so I plan to take more science courses in high school and in my undergraduate studies to get a head start.   I will also look at opportunities to do an internship or spend time talking to people in this field to learn more about how they achieved their goal.
In addition to a good educational background, a person interested in going into this field needs to have other characteristics to make them successful.  I think I have those qualities and experience.  As an athlete, this year unfortunately I have had some tough breaks.  My last break was in my ankle which required me to do 4 weeks of physical therapy (PT) so I know how patient’s struggle and can relate to them.  I have good interpersonal skills which will come in handy when you have to talk to aggravated patients or family members.  I also possess another characteristic that makes me good for this occupation, it is that I want people to succeed and will not let anyone do anything besides their best.  This becomes helpful when you have a patient who is not motivated or says they can’t.  My love of sports along with my good interpersonal skills will help me relate to patients and help them through their struggles.
In doing my research I would possibly like to go to Duke or the University of Delaware.  Both programs are rated in the Top 10 for their Physical Therapy Program.  I would like to strive to get accepted at either university and continue until I receive my doctorate degree or DPT.  This degree will allow me to get the best career opportunities possible.In addition, both are D1 schools and have some great sport’s teams and I hope to play on them one day.
            There are many places that a physical therapist could work. Some options are in hospitals, outpatient’s clinics, rehabilitation hospitals and schools. I would like to work in an outpatient clinic.  These places specialize mostly in sports care and broken bones; whereas places like the hospital specialize on long term care. I would like to eventually open up my own practice. For that reason I am going to get an undergraduate in business that way one day I could open and manage my own clinic.
Today this is my plan for the future.  While someone can change their mind at any time, I think this career path is very interesting to me and I would be very successful.  While it would require a lot of work and commitment, I have a lot of the qualities to be successful.  I understand not only the concepts but the struggles of the patient.  I can bring my prior knowledge and dedication to work everyday.  I believe with my work ethic and knowledge of the job, I would be a great Physical Therapist.

Sean Kunz     ,   June 4, 2012

What I want to be….

Many kids dream about being a superhero or a NASCAR driver or being successful in athletics, but I would like to be a biomedical engineer. To some of you who do not know exactly what this odd choice in career, for a 13 year old is, it combines skills of medicine and engineering to improve healthcare diagnosis, monitoring, and therapy. However, saying and accomplishing goals are very different, so I will include the training/skills required, and my plan on reaching my dreams.
            You can’t just walk into this complex field; you have to know exactly what you are doing, or you will not succeed. Typically, a biomedical engineer requires a Bachelor’s degree at a four year college. As well as a Bachelor’s degree, it would help a lot to get a Masters degree. Not only do you need those, but many people in this profession often know skills like medical, electrical, and mechanical engineering. I think this job is perfect for me because my father is an engineer, and I love to create, invent, and build various things. Also, I have a passion for helping others, so I could invent new prosthetic limbs to help make those who suffer have a happy “new” life. Not only do I need those skills to become a biomedical engineer, but I need a plan to help guide me there.
            To become a biomedical engineer, it requires a lot of things, and it also helps to do a little extra. In high-school I plan on taking some sort of high math course to help me know various formulas and statistics I will need later. Also, I plan on joining an engineering and robotics club. These two clubs will help me in the future when I work on making prosthetic limbs. After high school, hopefully, I plan on attending a good four year college such as Harvard, Michigan, Duke, Virginia, or Syracuse. I also plan on (and hope) on getting a lacrosse scholarship to one of these schools. During college I plan on working to get a Doctorate. After that, I am hoping to start and successfully open a practice with my neighbor Dillon (currently attending Michigan for biomedical engineering).Hopefully, if everything goes as planned, I will succeed.
            As said before, saying and accomplishing goals are two very different things, but I will do my best to achieve my goals. College will take roughly ten years to complete (getting the Doctorate), so I may lose sight on what’s really important, but in the end hopefully, I, Sean Kunz, will become a biomedical engineer!