Markus Fahrner (in full uniform of the era) explaining
about the Trench and warfare.
Members pictured inside the compartment
of the train, Venosta.

 Members pictured in front of the Venosta used for transporting soldiers and freight during the World War.

On Thursday,  April 27th Members of the Rotary Club of Port Coquitlam  Centennial visited the Port Moody Station Museum. Our Markus Fahrner, Acting Museum Coordinator took us back in history and explained various aspects of the frontline warfare in general and the use of Trenches in particular. His descriptions of trench warfare conjured up all kind of visions in your mind, and also made you realise, once again, how lucky we are to live in this part of the world at this time. experiencing the trench and the living conditions those brave soldiers existed under was an absolute testament to the saying, “Ware is Hell”.
The historic Port Moody Station which houses the Port Moody Station Museum was the second station built by the Canadian Pacific Railway Company. Completed in 1908, the building and displays represent the role of the train station in the community and the early development of Port Moody.
The Port Moody Station Museum is owned by the Port Moody Heritage Society and is located in Port Moody's 1908 CPR Station. The building and displays illustrate the role of the station in the community and the early development of Port Moody.
 

McKnight Trench

VIEWING THE TRENCH

This exhibit is intended to promote an important part of Canadian history and pay tribute to our former engineer and resident, Augustus McKnight. The message we hope the trench will clearly convey is peace and remembrance.

Biography of _______________________________
Lieutenant Augustus Wilberforce McKnight

Augustus Wilberforce McKnight was born in Owen Sound Ontario on August 1, 1888, where he lived with his parents, brothers and sisters. After graduating in 1910 as a Military Engineer from the Royal Military College in Kingston Ontario, he travelled west to help with the construction of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway.
Sometime Later McKnight went to British Columbia where he became the assistant City Engineer in Prince Rupert, and then worked with an engineering company in Vancouver, becoming a member (number 138) of the provincial Land Surveyors Association.  Finally Augustus McKnight moved to the City of Port Moody settling down and becoming a city engineer.
Augustus McKnight was an active citizen of Port Moody where he was a member of the civilian rifle association team and the tennis club’s executive committeeand local Scout Leader.
In 1914 McKnight resigned from his position with the city of Port Moody and was commissioned with the rank of Lieutenant in North Vancouver’s 6th Field Company Canadian Engineers. He went overseas with the 2nd Overseas Contingent ending up in France and Flanders with 4th Field Company, Divisional Engineers.  On August 11, 1916 Lieutenant Augustus Wilberforce McKnight was fatally wounded, he was buried at Reninghelst New Military Cemetery in Belgium.

Venosta

Constructed in 1921 as one of 13 ten compartment Glen series cars. It entered service as Glen Atha and operated as built until May 1942 when it was completely refitted to increase its sleeping capacity. In its rebuilt form, it had eight sections and four double bedrooms. Eight of the 10 compartments car built in 1921 were reconstructed and joined six cars which were built new as eight section/four double bedroom sleepers in 1931. Glen Atha was renamed Venosta when rebuilt.