Val Windsor shared her enthusiasm with North Delta Rotarians during a recent lunch hour meeting. Click for full story.

The implementation of a District wide Vision Statement was crafted during the difficult Covid period with the involvement of over three thousand staff, students, education partners, local first nations people (Musqueam, Tsawwassen) and community members. The Vision Statement issued in the fall of 2021 reads: Delta School District is an Innovative, Inclusive Community where ALL Learners Belong and Everyone Soars. 

That “North Star”, as Val refers to the Vision, has been implemented in numerous ways. The work of the Inclusive Education department is especially important because all kids should feel welcome and included in their schools. Val informed us that we have students at all levels who are living our District Vision every day. Elementary students are tackling real world challenges, doing a lot of research, practising critical thinking skills, having great discussions and  exercising decision making skills in order to make their schools more inclusive and meaningful to their communities.

At the Secondary School level, Val spoke about DYAC, the Delta Youth Advisory Council where students develop their leadership skills while becoming involved in projects that help improve the learning and social environments in their schools. Once a month, DYAC students from all secondary schools meet to discuss current concerns. Trustees attend these meetings.  At a recent meeting, the host school identified the topic: “Vaping” in schools.  They have drawn attention to the School district on this matter and have suggested possible solutions. Another topic was the creation of a “Safe Space” for students who need a quiet place away from the bustling school environment.  

Anti-racism is being addressed across the district in both elementary and secondary schools. There is a video created by students available on the district anti-racism website at deltalearns.ca/antiracism .  The video may be uncomfortable to watch but it’s worth viewing.

The indigenous education department has created indigenous youth gatherings and events for families and is working to develop leadership skills in indigenous students.

The Delta School board is the biggest employer in the district. Larger than the City of Delta.

A new District Budget of over 187 Million Dollars will be approved at the April 25 Board meeting.  Val Windsor and her fellow trustees will guide the Board to administer those funds responsibly.