About Our Club
Rotary Club of Wahpeton-Breckenridge Info
Membership
Related Pages
Links
Files
Photo Albums
 

    The Rotary Club of Wahpeton, N.D. was chartered on June 1, 1921 (May 12th date is date club was "instituted") having been organized by RI Special representative J. E. Gaffaney of Fargo assisted by a group from the Rotary Club of Fargo, N.D. (Sponsor Club) led by Norman B. Black.  The first Club President was R.C. McClintock of the Globe-Gazette Printing who served three terms from 1921 to 1923.

    In June of 1938 the Wahpeton Club sponsored a new club in Breckenridge, MN.

    Through the years the club has been involved with multiple local, district and international projects including raising funds to purchase an iron lung for polio victims at St. Francis Hospital in 1940.  

    The club has provided the district with four District Governors including Frank Vertin (1950-51); Eldon Lum (1962-63); Warner Zenter (1976-77) and Robert T. Chambers (2008-09).

    The largest project has been the renovation of the 1950 double deck bus from London. England purchased for the city by the late Gerry Beck.  The project was started in 2004 and the bus was finally returned to the Parks and Rec Department in the spring of 2011.

    Up to 2011 we have hosted eight International Exchange students (Thailand {2}, South Africa, Costa Rica, Switzerland, Brazil, Norway and Taiwan) and one outbound to Norway.  Two local young professionals have been on Group Study Exchange Trips (Iceland and South Korea).   

    The club has sponsored projects in Guatemala with two members, Suzanne Pehl and Richard Geiselhart, having "boots on the ground" in the country.  We have actively supported the District's RYLA Camp with students each year; had students at the Winnipeg Rotary's Model United Nations; hosted Group Study Exchange teams and actively supported the Annual Giving Program of The Rotary Foundation as well as Polio Plus with many members being Paul Harris Fellows or multiple fellows.

Our local community service projects, include the "Fill the Bus" campaign each year to provide food and non-perishables to the Richland-Wilkin County Food Bank. The Blood Screening event, held in the spring and fall each year, which provides a variety of useful tests for one low fee. The club also purchases Dictionaries for each 3rd grader in Richland and Wilkin county which are delivered in the fall. In 2017, Rotary partnered with a variety of organizations to purchase materials for the newly built restroom facilities in the entry area of Chahinkapa Zoo.

In June of 2017, the clubs of Wahpeton and Breckenridge merged to become one joint Rotary club. Moving our meetings to the Rotary Hughes Shelter in Chahinkapa park, we are looking forward to many more opportunities to provide the community "Service Above Self".