District 7810, established and continues to support of the Rotary Youth Merit Award program because it helps identify young people who we, as Rotarians, recognize as the potential leaders of tomorrow's complex world. Each of the submitted candidates exemplifies the Rotary ideals of service, dependability and leadership - amongst their peers and within their schools, communities and families.

Saint John Rotarian Duncan Wathen initiated the program and saw it implemented by the RC of Saint John. It was adopted as a district youth initiative in the 1960's and has been offering three DISTRICT merit scholarships to students who best exemplify Rotary ideals, for more than 40 years. The program has been tweaked and refined over the years.
Most recently, the district chairpersons overseeing the logistics of the program have been: PDG John Budden of Woodstock 1993-1995; Marion Holder of Sackville 1996-1997; Sharon Meldrum of Sackville 1998-2000; Maria Kulcher of St. Stephen 2001-2005. Vicki Smith of Presque Isle took over as committee chair in 2006.

The committee work is challenging since there is a need to understand both NB and Maine school & award systems (they ARE different) and someone on the committee must read French since 10% or so of applications come in French. French language applicants receive French certificates. Application letters and forms are mailed from the District Chairperson directly to the schools in New Brunswick, Maine, and New Richmond area in late Jan./early Feb. Applications are dead-lined early April and need to be processed by early May. All schools that wish their students to participate submit applications directly to the D7810 Youth Merit Award Committee Chairperson.

All Rotary Clubs whose designated schools submit applications receive certificates for their students from the Youth Merit Award Committee Chairperson in May.

All students whose applications were submitted receive a D7810 certificate from their sponsoring Rotary Club in a manner set by that Rotary Club.

The method varies from club to club. Examples include framed or matted certificates, engraved watches or gifts, club bursaries or scholarships, invitations to special dinner meetings, etc.

Only the top 3 students from all the applicants from the various schools in the district receive D7810 scholarship dollars in Canadian funds as follows:

Top student - $1000 and the 2 Runners-up @ $500 each for a total of $2000 in prizes.

The assessment of applicants is heavily weighted towards scholastic achievement. Positive community involvement (outside of school activities) comes second and is followed, in importance, by intra-curricular and extra-curricular activities. Home involvement and contribution to the family is also factored into the assessment.

In reading the applications, the selection committee members look for well-rounded young people who are leaders with great personal initiative. There must be evidence of a sense of values in their lives. Each candidate deserves all the local club help and recognition possible, since each candidate tends to be a positive role model with self-control, self discipline and focus.