Vocational Service

The Director of Vocational Service is responsible to promote the 2nd object of Rotary, which is high ethical standards in business and professions, the recognition of the worthiness of all useful occupations, and the dignifying of each Rotarian's occupation as an opportunity to serve society.  Our club does this by supporting nine programs:
  1. Al Gmelin Student Awards provide bursaries to two outstanding graduating students of Conestoga College Early Childhood Education program.  A bequest from Mr. Gmelin continues his vision of making sure that clients of Kidsability are taken care of.
  2. The Irv Merkel Bursary was established to encourage and support students with physical disabilities to pursue their post secondary educational goal. It is awarded annually to a physically disabled student who resides in the City of Cambridge. The fund is sustained by proceeds from a bequest by Mr. Merkel.
  3. Academic Awards are presented to graduating students who are planning to further their education at University or Community College. Winning students are nominated by each school.
  4. Vocational Scholarships. This program provides a bursary to a student from each of the City of Cambridge’s high schools. The goal is to encourage promising industrial arts/vocational students to pursue a marketable skill and small business involvement. We as a club believe these students are critical to our future economy and society. When possible and appropriate a Rotary club member presents the award at the grade 12 commencement. A plaque at each school has their name added, engraved in brass.
  5. Junior Achievement is a non-profit organization helping kids learn about all aspects of business and finances in order to prepare them for their future. It relies heavily on volunteers and involves an established curriculum presented to students in primary school over 8 weeks.
  6. Ontario Model Parliament is run through the Rotary Club of Ottawa. This program provides a unique opportunity for a selected group of young Canadians to come together and gain a better understanding of our country, through meetings with political leaders, senior officials and others. The club nominates and sponsors one student per year.
  7. World Affairs Seminar is a one-week seminar format program held in White Water, Wisconsin. Students must be in grade 11, be of high academic standing and have a significant interest in world affairs to attend. Each school nominates a student and the committee chair interviews each student to find the suitable candidate. The program runs in June which conflicts with exams but the schools tend to be cooperative. The disadvantage is that it only allows one student to participate.
  8. Camp Enterprise is a three day opportunity for grade 11 and 12 students to learn about free enterprise and the business world. The format is seminar and group activity and very interactive. Topics include Effective Selling, Developing a Business Plan, Labour Relations, The Importance of Education and many others. It is a combined Rotary event currently organized by 11 Rotary Clubs from Cambridge, Fergus, Guelph, Kitchener and Waterloo. Each club takes responsibility for organizing different segments of the event and for selecting students form high schools in their community. The Preston-Hespeler Club sponsors 3 students from each of Preston High School and Monsignor Doyle High School.
  9. RYLA (Rotary Youth Leadership Award) is Rotary's training program for young leaders (ages 14 to 30), emphasizing leadership, citizenship, and personal growth.  It is a weekend program held at the Ecology Retreat Centre in Orangeville.