Oct 18, 2018
William Kellogg, President LJBTC
La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club

Originally opened in 1927 as the La Jolla Beach & Yacht Club, Frederick William Kellogg (known as F.W. Kellogg) purchased the property on August 19, 1935, transferring all of its assets to himself and his wife, Florence Scripps Kellogg. Recognizing the Club's potential, F.W. Kellogg envisioned an oceanfront resort that would attract out-of-town visitors, as well as La Jollans.

Kellogg broadened the Club’s appeal by changing the emphasis to that of an exclusive oceanfront tennis resort. He built four tennis courts and a swimming pool, and promptly renamed the resort the La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club. To attract out-of-town guests, he constructed the “Beach Club Apartments” at the south end of the property.

Kellogg continued to expand the property, building a cofferdam to protect oceanfront apartments during construction. The dam later became the foundation for the Marine Room, an oceanfront restaurant and lounge just south of the Club.

Kellogg never lived to see the opening of the Marine Room; he died on September 4, 1940, while on a trans-Pacific cruise to Japan. The responsibility for managing the Club fell to his son William Scripps Kellogg (known as W.S. Kellogg).

W.S. Kellogg was the driving force behind the resort’s success as a tennis and vacation destination. During his tenure, he oversaw extensive changes, including the expansion of the Beach Club Apartments in 1948, the addition of the North Wing in 1957, and construction of Playa Del Oro Apartments and the F.W. Kellogg commercial building. Other work included the completion of the Marine Room restaurant, construction of a nine-hole par-3 golf course, and extensive landscaping at the main entrance.