Club Executives & Directors
Current Announcements from President Dawn Carignan-Thomas
The meeting was called to order by President Dawn Thomas and the club then pledged allegiance to the flag.
Next, Tink, acting as Song person, led the club in the hymn of thanks and the smile song.
Chris Carey led us in the four Way Rotary Test and then introduced Sondra Jones as our guest.
Judy Puffer as Health and Welfare Chair announced no birthdays but was then reminded that her birthday was to be
celebrated. She opted for Gail LaGasse to sing Happy Birthday solo.
Pres Dawn said that the club voted that there be no meeting in Westfield on Monday, 3/10 but instead we would join the
West Springfield Rotary Club on Tuesday, 3/11 at the Carriage House, Storrowton Tavern, West Springfield at 12"15 p.m.
for a special St. Patrick's Day celebration.
Dawn thanked the 75th Anniversary Committee for their hard work for the very successful dinner last Saturday night.
$1,000. was raised and two Paul Harris Awards were given to Sister Betty Oleksak and State Senator Dom Humason.
A reminder that on 3/8 the club is participating in the Chili Cook-Off to be held at YMCA; volunteers are needed.
Mark Boardman announced that the Rotary Club will be participating in "Retire the Fire" campaign of the Westfield Fire
Dept. Senior citizens can get help to change their fire detectors. This will occur later in March; more details will be
Dawn is assembling the names of Rotarians who have recently passed away; this is for a memorial in Portsmouth, N.H.
See Dawn for more info.
Anyone with old Rotary memorabilia please see Dawn.
Speaker Chair Jennifer Gruszka announced the following meetings:
3/7 speaker to be announced
3/10 no meeting in Westfield
3/11 meeting in West Springfield
3/17 club assembly
Gail LaGasse - picture in paper
Pres. Dawn - picture in paper
All club members - picture of group in paper at meeting when Dr. Brian Sutton was speaking
Judy Puffer - vacation in Galapagos Islands
Mark Boardman reminded the club of the upcoming July 4 fireworks and is looking for club input for fundraising ideas for
Gail LaGasse held the winning raffle ticket but she did not draw the Queen, the jackpot lives on.
The meeting closed with "God Bless America".
Scribing this week,
- February 3rd – Sister Elizabeth Oleksak from Genesis
- February 10th – Dr. Brian Sutton, Noble Urgent Care
- February 17th – NO MEETING due to President’s Day Holiday
- February 24th – Fireworks Planning
- By Laws Committee: Rock Palmer reported that they have the framework for revised Bylaws. Most of the revisions are mandates from Rotary International and include such topics as e-discussions and e-voting.
- 75th Anniversary Committee: Event will be on February 22nd at Tekoa from 5-10pm. Dinner & Dancing.
- Membership Committee: has not had a meeting. We have 33 members at this time
- Foundation Committee: Kate Phelon & Carol Martin have no report
- Fellowship Commitee: Andrea Parks offered the Chili Cook-off as a fellowship activity.
- Paul Harris Committee: John Barclay reported that the awardees this year are Senator Don Humason and Sister Elizabeth Oleksak.
- Service Committee: Sue West, Tink Hartdegan & Mark Boardman distributed a list of possible projects (copy attached) and asked Rotarians to indicate which activities are of interest to them. Once we reach a consensus, the Committee will create a work plan and timeline.
- Ring bells for Salvation Army
- Adopt-a-Highway street cleanup
Rotary takes 3rd at Chili, Chowder, and Chocolate Cookoff at fund raiser for YMCA and Red Cross.
Hetty Van Oostgveen Catering Service 's Turkey Chili 1st, Fire Dept took 2nd. Not bad for first time out!
The Westfield Rotary Club is preparing to take the Chili Championship from the Westfield Fire Department with its "Cincinnatti Chili". The preparations started early Thursday morning with cooks Rock and Carol Palmer, Mark Boardman, Andrea Allard and Art Haselkorn. They even added a "secret ingredient" to the mix. (See the pictures in our photo album)