David Nolen of the Ulysses S. Grant Presidential Library and Political Research Center
 
 
 
 
The Ulysses S. Grant Presidential Library was founded in 2012, on the 50th anniversary of the founding of the Ulysses S. Grant Association.  On November 30, 2017, the Ulysses S. Grant Presidential Library and Museum was officially unveiled on the fourth floor of Mississippi State University’s Mitchell’s Memorial Library.
 
The USGPL contains the collections of the USGA, the Frank and Virginia Williams Collection of Lincolniana, and the Congressional and Political Research Center. The Frank and Virginia Williams Collection of Lincolniana represents a lifetime of work collecting documents, books, artifacts, ephemera, philately, numismatics, paintings, and statuary related to the life of Abraham Lincoln, sixteenth President of the United States of America, and the Civil War in general. In 2017, Frank and Virginia Williams donated their Lincolniana Collection to MSU.  The USGA, the Papers of Ulysses S. Grant editorial project, and its collections have been at Mississippi State University since 2009.
 
Grant’s memoirs have remained in print for over 130 years. The version edited by Marszalek, Nolen and Gallo marks the first time the non-fiction classic has been fully annotated. The new book contains over 2,000 footnotes that provide additional information and place the former president’s thoughts in the context of when he was writing. It contains a preface by Grant Association President and former Rhode Island Supreme Court Chief Justice Frank J. Williams.

Grant completed his memoirs at the Mt. McGregor retreat in New York, days before his death in 1885 and at a time when he had lost all of his money in a Ponzi scheme. The memoirs, sold door-to-door by former Civil War soldiers, would go on to be hailed as one of the most important works of American nonfiction in the 19th century. Grant’s writing style, concise with approachable language, has helped his memoirs remain accessible to audiences for generations after his death.