Membership Information

Subpages
Related Pages
Links
Files
Photo Albums

What does the Rotary Club of Defiance do?

The Defiance Rotary Club operates on three levels: 

1. Club 
2. District 
3. International

Club Level Involvement:

1. Conducts an annual Corvette Raffle, established in 1991, as our main funding source for donation distribution to schools, agencies and organizations throughout our community.

2. Has an established assessment donation designated solely for the local Food Banks

3. Publishes an annual Club Directory with photos of all members

4. Publishes a monthly newsletter

5. Maintains the club Website with many interesting links

6. Hosts an annual Club Golf Outing and banquet

7. Hosts an annual Spring and Fall Club cookout

8. An active participant and sponsor of the Annual Health Department Shots for Tots program

9. Completed four phases of the Rotary Walkway project along the library and river parks

10. Is a major donor of the Defiance YMCA

11. Awards $5,000 in scholarships annually for local students to attend Defiance College and Northwest State CC

12. Provides a yearly Presidential and Vocational scholarship to local high school students

13. Participated in The McMaster School for advancing Humanity Guatemala Literacy Project

14. Plans social events for our members, such as trips to theatre performances, Valentine dinners, etc.

15. Participates in the DASH Annual Christmas Dinner Party (DASH is the successor of the Easter Seal Society which was originally initiated in Defiance County by the Defiance Rotary Club)

16. Currently in the planning process of a major community project

17. Contributes between $30,000 and $50,000 annually to the Defiance Community, area charitable organizations and projects (some of which are indicated above)

We welcome guests that may want to join us for a meeting to find out more about Rotary. Meetings are Monday at 12:00 Noon - St. Paul's Lutheran Church.

District 6600 level involvement:

• By attending its District Conferences and seminars each year.

• We are the primary organizer and sponsor of the Rotary World Community Workshop. Presented at Defiance College, the World Community Workshop (WCW) is an International Service and Youth Project for Rotary International District 6600 High School Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors. WCW is a partnership of the Defiance Rotary Club, the Defiance College, District 6600, and area schools. Each Workshop focuses on the economics, political and social issues and opportunities of a selected region of the world. Participating high school students, along with Rotary-sponsored foreign exchange students, spend three days on the campus of Defiance College. The program is interactive, including lectures, group discussions and hands-on activities. In addition to learning about the particular country of study, students have the opportunity to interact with peers from all over the world and experience "life on campus."

• We host the Rotary 4-Way Speech Contest yearly. The 4-Way Speech and Essay is a contest for high school youth to either present a speech or write an essay on the Four-Way Test and have it judged by the local club. The club winner is encouraged to compete at the District level against other club winners. The District winner advances to the State level. Most clubs offer a monetary reward to the local winners. Awards are given for the District and State winner.

• By being actively involved in the MESA program. Our district has a unique project in Central America called "Medical Equipment and Supplies Abroad" (M.E.S.A.). M.E.S.A. is a 501 (c) 3 corporation with a mission to provide assistance in the form of medical equipment, food, clothing, and other types of equipment to developing third world countries.  Many Rotarians from our district attend an international forum in Central America (Uniendo America) in January of each year to bring back projects for our clubs and District.

• By being a host Club stop on the MESA Bike Tour. A group of cyclist travel over 430 miles in 7 days to increase awareness and raise funds for the MESA project.

• We have been hosts to several Group Study Exchange (GSE) teams. The Group Study  exchange (GSE) program of The Rotary Foundation is a unique cultural and vocational exchange opportunity for young business and professional men and women to exchange visits between paired areas in different countries.

Rotary International Involvement:

• We give to the Rotary Foundation of Rotary International through our Paul Harris Fellowship contributions. Currently we have 109 Fellows.

• We give to the Annual Programs Fund (APF). Ourgoal is to have every member donate $25.00 per year to the APF. It is the District's goal to obtain $100.00 per club for "every Rotarian every year"(EREY).

• By our club's gift of $28,000, we supported Rotary International's Polio Eradication Campaign (PEC) to completely rid the world of polio.

• Some members have supported Rotary International by attending its International Conventions over the years.
wh-4p-gd

For membership inquiries please contact membership@defiancerotary.org