FARMER OF THE YEAR AWARD

The Corsicana Rotary Club annually honors a selected local farmer to be the Farmer of the Year.  We have been doing this for the past 50 years.  With this being the 50th anniversary of this award, our club VP, Russ Montfort wanted something special to celebrate this wonderful and deserving award.  Russ wanted to honor students as well: one high school and one middle school student.  Here are the winners for 2017.

Peyton Brown is at Corsicana Middle School and is in the Advanced Ag Mechanics team there. His teacher Larry Acock says that he is a great young man of faith that takes direction extremely well. He has a strong desire for the work they do on their various projects. He is a true leader in their program.

Anna Yates is the daughter of Daren Yates and Lisa Broom; she is a senior at Corsicana high school. Anna is the President of Corsicana FFA and has served as a Corsicana District Vice President. She is a member of National Honor Society and in the top of her class. While in Corsicana FFA she has been a member of two state range teams and a State Ag Issues Team. Miss Yates plans to attend Texas A&M in the fall and major in Animal Science. Anna is a wonderful example of what Corsicana High School and the Corsicana FFA represent. Anna is determined and dedicated to the endeavors that she takes on; she never fails to make our program proud of her. CHS and Corsicana FFA would like to extend our greatest thank you to Anna for serving our organization and wish her all the best at school next year.  Mark Vitters helped with the selection of this recipient.

Jeff and Jill Yates won the 2017 Farmer of the Year Award presented by Russ Monfort.  The Yates' own Jeff Yates Cattle Company.  Jeff says that he feels that his operation has help support their lifestyle in rodeo because they do it all for Christ. They raise and lease roping calves until a certain age, then they raise them to sell to feed lots.