Home Page Stories
 
 
Maple Syrup Fundraiser |Minutes

Meeting date | time Jan 13, 2021 | 1:30PM | Meeting location Zoom

Meeting called by

Roland Gagne

Type of meeting

Fundraiser Planning

Facilitator

 
Roland Gagne
 

Note taker

 
Roland Gagne
 

 

 
 
Roland Gagne
Brian Dallaire
Brenda Pollack
Conrad Welzel
Heather MacLean
Fausto Pifferrer
Don Pilon

Agenda topics

Time allotted | 10 minutes | Agenda topic eCommerce/Pricing | Presenter Group

Discussion: Discussed the various eCommerce (store fronts) and online payment options along with the proposed pricing of the fundraiser items.
Conclusion: Group determined that there are lots of eCommerce and online payment choices and Brian and Brenda will evaluate the pros and cons of various choices and present at our next meeting.  Group decided to keep the pricing as proposed with no modifications.
Action items
Person responsible
Deadline
 
Investigate eCommerce options
Brian & Brenda
Jan 20 | 11:30am
Investigate Online Payment services
Brian
Jan 20 | 11:30am

Time allotted | 10 Minutes | Agenda topic Promotion | Presenter Group

Discussion: Group discussed using the website, club social media channels and ads in the local paper with interview.
Conclusion: Group agreed on the importance of online promotion due to COVID and that unified imagery and club branding of the fundraiser was important.
Action items
Person responsible
Deadline
 
Preparation of ad/interview with local paper
Brenda
Middle February
Obtain proof of fundraising form and photos
Roland
Feb 27 | 11:30am

Time allotted | 10 Minutes | Agenda topic Honoring Individuals | Presenter Group

 
 
 
Discussion: Discussed honoring an individual each year with the fundraiser
Conclusion: Group discussed and considered a program similar to V!ng as a possible way to support a local teen in a contest where they submit a video asking us to support a local needy person. www.vingproject.org.
Action items
Person responsible
Deadline
 
Review V!ng for further discussion at next meeting
Roland
Jan 20 | 11:30am

 

 
 
 
 
Originally the Tack was distributed in printed form at the following meeting.  Then came ClubRunner and the ability to publish online. This version has been  known as the e-Tack as we had both forms distributed for a while.
 
It now has been several years since the printed version has been issued.  Therefore we will now rename the online e-Tack to plainly  "THE TACK"
 
Thank You
 
 
 
 
LogoDescription automatically generatedRotary Notes
January 13, 2021
ZOOM Meeting
Welcome: President Don
4-Way Test: Brenda
Invocation: Joe B.
 
Announcements:
 
Follow up on Vets Wreaths:  Pick-up wreaths at St Joseph Cemetery on Friday morning.
 
Million Mask Initiative: President Don received 1000 PP Masks from Rotary District,  1000 will be donated to SMHC.  Don asked members to let Conrad know if they know of any organization, nursing home, non-profit that needs masks.
 
Don awarded Joe M a +4 Paul Harris pin at his business.  Don has a multiple Paul Harris pin for Jim Godbout and Dana Lane to award.  Also, a new Paul Harris will be awarded to a member.
 
 
Does anyone need CLYBK bags?
 
Sergeant At Arms: Joe M.
Happy Dollars:
  • Dr. Joe – Was happy to step back from the camera a bit to show his fellow Rotarians his Kilt. He sported his MacQueen Kilt for the meeting and thanked his wife for her assistance. 
  • Mark N. - $5 happy dollars to mention the Westbrook Rink and sent his congratulations and gratitude to Marty for the work he does on this project. It was a pleasure to see so many enjoying ice skating outdoors.
  • Don P – Don presented the Paul Harris award to Joe and had others to present in the upcoming week. He thanked fellow Rotarians for their generosity.
  • Conrad – Happy to have the grandkids coming by again for a visit.
  • Karen – She was happy to coincidentally, be wearing MacQueen pattern slacks.
  • Jen F – Happy to announce 2 new employees for Boots to Roots. (boots2roots.org is an organization preparing the transitioning of active duty military members and helping them to hit the ground running in Maine)
  • Bill P. – Happy to have Dave Underwood and Officer MacKenzie join us today.
Fines:
  • Don P. – Currently have a COVID outbreak at work but that didn’t stop President Don. He delivered me the Paul Harris Award disregarding the Do Not Enter signs posted on the front door. He is as the Bruce Willis of Biddeford.
  • Dave U. - $1 Rotary Royalty Fee.
  • Marty – You always want Blood from us. It wasn’t enough we gave you blood a few months ago and now you’re asking for power reds again.  
  • Matt – You know why …
  • Peggy – So great to have you back! Joe M. paid $2 for her return.
  • Roland – Where’s Kaitlin?
  • Karen, Julie V., Heather G. & Brenda – each of you were mentioned in this great article in the Courier about Biddeford – Saco Rotary Club helps 81 local children at Christmas.
  • Marty – another $2 fine just because fine.
Fines were brought to you by Hard To Port Fishing Company.
 
 
Guest Speaker: Chief Bob MacKenzie of the Recover Initiative Committee
               Contact: MacKenzie@Kennebunkmaine.us
               M. 207-604-1339
 
There have been 28 deaths due to substance abuse. The Options Program has recently appointed a new representative for York County. They are currently looking for office space, preferably in the Biddeford – Saco area.  Please contact Chief MacKenzie if you would like more information about their program or if you are interested to become a volunteer with the Options Program.
 
 
Attendance: Melissa Cilley, Brian Dallaire, Paul Deschambault, CJ Dubois-Cote, Ken Farley, Donald Pilon, Kaitlin Tito, Conrad Welzel
 
FAMILY GARDEN PROJECT
  • Melissa sent out updated timeline
  • Apex's goal is for youth to work alongside Rotary so they may learn that service is a lifelong endeavor
  • Limit the number of bed sizes and types of plant to keep things simple
  • Rob Moody would like to be involved in some way
  • Ken will be point person for Becca moving forward
  • Board approval may be needed if this project becomes an annual event
  • Press release should go out sometime in the next 2 weeks (pending application finalization)
MISCELLANEOUS
  • There is a coat drive taking place from now until the 15th
  • Adult or children's coats can be dropped off at the police station, fire station, or BMS
  • Rotary Club may be asked in the future to encourage our communities to get vaccinated
  • About 300 masks remaining and another 500 will be received on the 12th
  • First responders have plenty of masks, so we should focus on nursing homes and community centers
 
Attendance: Joe Bassett, Paulette Bonneau, Joe Boyle, Michael Burman, Karen Chasse, Melissa Cilley, Sarah Curley, Brian Dallaire, Paul Deschambault, CJ Dubois-Cote, Jane Foley, Jen Fullmer, Roland Gagne, Susan Gajewski, Heather Gendron, Martin Grohman, Bill Kany, Jim LaBelle, Kristen Lane, Heather MacLean, Joe Moreshead, Mark Nahorney, Bill Paterson, Fausto Pifferrer, Donald Pilon, Brenda Pollock, Kathy Shea, Kaitlin Tito, Matthew Tuller, Julie Villemaire, Conrad Welzel
 
President Don welcomed everyone
Pledge of Allegiance
Invocation by Joe Bassett
Haley led the 4-Way Test
 
New Year Toast to Bideford, England Club, led by Paul Deschambault
 
Announcements:
 
GENERAL DISCUSSION
  • Two new fundraisers were discussed at board meeting:  Trailer/RV Raffle and Maple syrup sales
  • The Amman Cosmopolitan Club in Jordan asked if we would be interested in "twinning" (an informal acknowledgement of our friendly relationship)
  • The COVID subcommittee is meeting today to discuss ongoing family garden project
  • Brian Dallaire shared "blue book" member database with the Club
  • Christmas giving - 81 children received gifts on $5,000 budget
  • Budget has been $100 per child for many years - we may want to consider increasing this amount
APPROVAL OF REVISIONS TO BY-LAWS
 
Paul makes motion to accept
Marty seconds the motion
Approved by majority 
 
HAPPY DOLLARS
  • Joe Bassett - $1 - Wife said yes 59 years ago
  • Dr. Joe - $5 - His wife had a shirt made for him for Christmas in family tartan (McQueen)
  • Fausto - $1 - Reuben made him tartan pants
  • Bill Paterson - $10 - He is first generation from Scotland and enjoyed the tartan sharing
  • Conrad - $5 - Friends in England surviving lockdown
  • Jen - $5 - For no longer having to picture Joe in a kilt 
  • Brenda - $5 - Will be representing us on indigenous people project
  • Don - $5 - Paul did a good job on the toast
  • Marty - $1 - Record crowds at Westbrook Skating Rink
  • Melissa - $2 - Gift exchange was fun and family is healthy
FINES
  • Don - $1 - Weekly Presidential fine
  • Mark Nahorney - $1 - For receiving free ventilation system
  • Dr. Mike - $1 - Needs a better background
  • Bill Kany - $1 - Club money is being transferred to SBSI
  • Jen - $1 - Her husband helped her with the trivia game
  • Conrad/Bill - $1 - Trivia questions were terrible
  • Matt Tuller - $1 - For his father not attending meetings
  • Roland - $1 - For cabin and forest backgrounds
  • Heather G. - $1 - Eating during meeting
  • Fausto - $1 - Short sleeved shirt
  • Paulette - $1 - Came in late
  • Heather MacLean - $1 - Short haircut
  • Sarah C. - $1 - For attending meeting (Heather to cover)
MATT TULLER - CLASSIFICATION Talk
  • His father, Mark, has been a member since 1993
  • Matt grew up hearing stories about Rotary meetings and volunteer projects and meeting people from other clubs
  • During college, he volunteered at food banks and Big Friends Little Friends
  • Matt worked as an admissions associate in Massachusetts (Cushing Academy and Hillside School)
  • He coached hockey and lacrosse and enjoys sailing, golfing, skiing, and climbing
  • Newly engaged and planning a small family wedding
  • Currently works in the family's mechanical contracting business, Atlantic Comfort Systems
  • Matt hopes to meet us all in person soon
Meeting adjourned at 1:15 PM
Incoming officers for 2021-2022 Year
  • President: Marty Grohman
  • President-Elect: Brenda Pollock
  • Vice President: Paulette Bonneau
  • Secretary: Julie Villemaire
  • Treasurer: Susan Gajewski
  • Directors (2020-2021): Roland Gagne, Kaitlin Tito
  • Directors (2021-2023): Mark Nahorney, Bill Paterson, Conrad Welzel
  • Immediate Past President: Don Pilon
  • Assistant Secretary: Kaitlin Tito
  • Assistant Treasurer: Kathy Shea
Attendance: Joe Bassett, Mike Burman, Brian Dallaire, Jen Fullmer, Mark Nahorney, Joe Moreshead, Bill Paterson, Donald Pilon, Kaitlin Tito, Matt Tuller, Conrad Welzel
 
President Don welcomed everyone
Pledge of Allegiance
Invocation by Joe Bassett
Conrad led the 4-Way Test
 
Announcements:
 
GENERAL DISCUSSION
  • No meeting next week (December 30)
  • Member vote on revisions to by-laws will take place January 6th
  • If anyone needs a Clynk bag, please contact Don or Julie
  • Marty thanks everyone who participated in Wreaths Across America
  • There is a press release in the Courier this week regarding our club's Christmas program for families in need
  • COVID-19 subcommittee will meet briefly after today's club meeting
Everyone is immune from fines this week.
 
HAPPY DOLLARS
  • Mike Burman - $5 - Happy to be here
  • Conrad - $1 - Had a nice chat with Rob Moody, who is going to help with the family garden project
  • Bill Paterson - $5 - Enjoyed volunteering at Wreaths Across America event
  • Jen - $1 - Got to know some club members better through recent events
  • Mark - $5 - Had a great time at Wreaths Across America
  • Mark - $5 - Daughter is visiting
  • Mark - $5 - Visit citytheater.org to purchase tickets to see him perform with his wife
  • Don - $5 - He met Joe's son
  • Joe - $5 - For bragging about his sons
  • Matt - $5 - For his older sister's birthday
HOLIDAY TRIVIA GAME
 
Meeting adjourned at 1:00 PM 
 
 
MISCELLANEOUS DISCUSSION
  • Conrad spoke with Rob Moody regarding the Family Garden Project - Rob is interested in helping and has some ideas
  • One of Rob's staff members is an educator and could probably also help out
  • The gardening sub-subcommittee should look into source of seeds (maybe university system co-op?)
  • The timeline Becca put together started in December so the subgroup will set up a meeting ASAP
  • About 300 masks are left in our stockpile and it may be a good idea to source another 1,000
  • Conrad has heard from some organizations that they would welcome more donations
  • We'll plan on checking in with them after the New Year to see how they are doing
  • Two or three subcommittee members have signed up to volunteer at Saco Food Pantry on on-call basis
 
Thank you,
 
Kaitlin Tito
 
 
 
For Immediate Release
 
Contact:  Brenda Pollock, VP
Biddeford and Saco Rotary Club
M. 207-653-4358
 
The Biddeford and Saco Rotary Club’s Adopt-A-Family Program Makes Christmas Lists for 81 Local Children Come True
 
Biddeford-Saco – Every year, the 100-year-old-Rotary Club reaches out to local schools who connects them with local families with children, who may need a hand during the holiday season. It is a tradition that has been shared with these Rotarians and their families for centuries and one of the staples of this organization that continues to impact everyone involved. 
 
Each December, Rotary club members gather as part of the Adopt-A-Family event for an evening of shopping where committee organizers distribute the wish lists of local children in need. For those children, Christmas without gifts is their reality. Heather Gendron and Karen Chasse, co-chairs of this Rotary event, recognized there would be no opportunity for gathering as a group this year but the club was determined to find a way to make certain this event happened.
 
“The Rotarians really stepped up this year and our club was able to deliver Christmas presents to 81 children in the Biddeford and Saco Communities,” said Gendron. “That was the most number of requests we ever received.”  The Rotary club allocates spending $100 per child. Rotarians who participate, can choose to contribute any amount on top of that. “We partner with school faculty, community members, friends, business owners and family members to make this possible,” added Gendron.
 
Each of the children selected for the Adopt-A-Family program are asked to complete a Christmas wish list of clothing, toys, and other items they wished for. Then, organizers distribute the wish lists to volunteer Rotarians and other local volunteers who went to work making wishes come true. “Many of the volunteers who participate in this program, offer to sponsor these children on their own, without Rotary funds. Their generosity allowed our Rotary Club to adopt even more children,” added Gendron.
 
Julie Villemaire, Secretary of the Biddeford and Saco Rotary Club and longtime member stated “This is one of the most heartfelt and rewarding programs that I’ve been honored to take part in with my fellow Rotarians.  Being able to help put smiles on the faces of these families, during what can often be a very difficult time of year for some, gives you this incredible feeling and truly opens your heart.”
 
Vice President of the club, Brenda Pollock said, “My twelve-year-old granddaughter wanted to be involved in this project. It was important to her that we purchase everything on their wish list ... and then some. It was an experience that reinforces gratitude and the importance of helping those less fortunate.”
 
This year, every Rotarian had to be responsible for every aspect of shopping, wrapping, and delivering on their own. Karen Chasse, co-chair of this program stated, “This year certainly is different in how we served the many families in our Adopt-A-Family Christmas Program.  We were not able to work together as a group but, that didn’t deter our Rotarians. Once the Biddeford and Saco School Departments identified families in need, we assigned them to those willing to help.” Family and friends of volunteer Rotarians who learned of the program also wanted to volunteer. “It was no surprise that the need this year was significant,” added Chasse. “We are grateful for the help of school department staff, local businesses, Rotarians, and local citizens who sponsored a family on their own so all the families identified would have smiling children on Christmas morning."
 
In addition to the providing children’s wishes, the Biddeford and Saco Rotary Club also delivers a $100 Hannaford food gift card to the parents/guardians. “So many people are struggling to put food on the table,” Gendron added. “The grocery gift card will help ensure these families also can enjoy a holiday dinner.”
 
The club budgets $5,000 each year for the Adopt-A-Family program. The gift lists received by families each year always exceed that. “It’s a tribute to the Rotarians and other volunteers who step up and graciously give generously each year,” Gendron commented. “Without them, this would not be possible.  We are fortunate that we can come together as a community to make a positive impact in the lives of so many of our community’s children this holiday season.” 
 
For more information on the Rotary Club of Biddeford and Saco or to learn more about the Adopt-A-Family program, visit: http://www.biddeford-sacorotary.org/ or visit their Facebook page at: Rotary Club of Biddeford-Saco. 
Attendance: Joe Bassett, Joe Boyle, Karen Chasse, Melissa Cilley, Brian Dallaire, Ray Demers, Paul Deschambault, Jane Foley, Jen Fullmer, Roland Gagne, Susan Gajewski, Heather Gendron, Martin Grohman, Jim LaBelle, Kristen Lane, Heather MacLean, Joe Moreshead, Mark Nahorney, Bill Paterson, Donald Pilon, Brenda Pollock, Kathy Shea, Haley Thompson, Kaitlin Tito, Conrad Welzel
 
Guests: Dan Reed, Ian Garcia-Grant
 
President Don welcomed everyone
Pledge of Allegiance
Invocation by Joe Bassett
Brenda led the 4-Way Test
 
Announcements:
 
Condolences to Brian Dallaire for the passing of his father, Del Dallaire
A memorial will be held in June of 2021
 
GENERAL DISCUSSION
  • Thank you to those who volunteered for bell ringing - event ended early due to weather but people were very generous
  • Voting on by-laws is postponed until the first meeting of January due to expected low attendance on December 23rd
  • 38 Rotarians have donated to the foundation since July
  • We are very close to our $7,000 goal (around $6,800 currently with matching)
  • Wreaths Across America event at St. Joseph's Cemetery, December 19th at 11:30 AM
  • A total of 89 children from approximately 30 families will receive gifts from our club this year
  • Most Rotarians have already picked up Hannaford gift cards and will deliver gifts on Friday
  • COVID subcommittee donated $1,000 to Youth Full Maine for their new building
  • The subcommittee also donated a garden box as a raffle item for the Saco Library's "Festival of Trees" fundraiser
  • Meals on Wheels and the Saco Food Pantry could use volunteers
  • District 7780 presented Dr. Nirav Shah with a Paul Harris award for his work on coronavirus
HAPPY DOLLARS
  •  Dr. Joe - $20 - Stepdaughter is scheduled to receive vaccine soon, 2nd grandson graduated college, and he enjoyed shopping for and wrapping gifts
  • Jim LaBelle - $1 - Happy to have Wizardly Media attend meeting
  • Conrad - $5 - Enjoyed time at Walmart, nice to see new prospective members, happy that Ray Demers is in attendance
  • Don - $5 - Happy that Brenda is feeling better, grateful for Sue's hard work, and happy that Ray is here
  • Brenda - $5 - Her granddaughter Maddison joined her for bell ringing and they had a great time
  • Bill Paterson - $10 - Son graduated with MFA and puppy saw the ocean for the first time
FINES
  • Don - Exempt from fine this week
  • Everyone else is guilty of being a member of the club and must pay $1
GUEST SPEAKER: RAY DEMERS, CLUB PROTECTION OFFICER - OVERVIEW OF DISTRICT 7780 PROTECTION POLICY 
  • District clubs and their members must strive to establish a culture of respect and conduct consistent with the 4-Way Test
  • Our thoughts, words, and actions in our interactions with fellow Rotarians, the youth with whom we work, our associates, partners and spouses, other volunteers and the community must be respectful and appropriate at all times
  • Purpose of the policy is to ensure the safety and protection of all children and youth, vulnerable persons, fellow Rotarians and volunteers with whom we interact in our Rotary activities
  • This shall include safety and protection from physical, sexual, and emotional abuse or harassment and extends to all activities of Interact, Rotaract, RYLA and Rotary Youth Exchange
  • Rotarians and volunteers should always: provide a model of good and appropriate behavior, treat others with respect, respect each other's right to privacy, be aware that behavior can be misinterpreted even when well intentioned and challenge unacceptable behavior
  • All allegations of abuse or harassment will be taken seriously and must be handled in accordance with district guidelines  
  • Each volunteer must complete an application (Appendix H) every 3 years authorizing the District or Club to conduct a background check
  • Volunteers or applicants who have admitted to, been convicted of, or are otherwise found to have engaged in sexual abuse or harassment are prohibited from working with children, youth, or any other vulnerable or protected person in a Rotary program
  • All volunteers who are participating in Rotary activities involving children, youth or other vulnerable or protected individuals will receive training regarding protection policies at a frequency determined by the District Protection Officer
  • The full "Prevention of Abuse and Harassment" document has been emailed to the Club for reference
Meeting adjourned at 1:30
YOUTH FULL MAINE
  • Youth Full Maine has been operating out of Biddeford Middle School and is in need of a permanent space
  • A building has been secured (with refrigeration/freezer) but thousands of dollars are still needed
  • Estimated funding needed is $36,000, they currently have $31,000
  • They are reaching out to credit unions and have also received a sizable donation from Harbor View Lending
  • The subcommittee votes unanimously to contribute $1,000 (payable to Youth Full Maine, sent to Karen's attention)
FAMILY GARDEN PROJECT
  • Becca has put together a timeline for Rotarian and Apex duties
  • December: Reach out to property managers to gauge interest and get approval
  • January: Send out applications with February deadline
  • February: Process phone orders
  • March: Build out gardening boxes and pre-gardening class
  • April: Box/seed delivery begins
  • We should be mindful that some seeds will need to be started ahead of time
  • Harvest class in the fall - food processing and storage
  • Conrad will reach out to Rob Moody regarding his class on garden maintenance
  • Garden sub-sub-committee: Ken, Becca, Kaitlin, Conrad (Melissa alternate for Becca)
MEALS ON WHEELS / SACO FOOD PANTRY
  • More volunteers are needed to fill in at differing times/days
  • Conrad and Brenda continue to communicate with Lynn at the Saco Food Pantry
  • They will ask for assistance from the entire Rotary Club as well
  • Meals On Wheels also in need of volunteers
Have a great weekend!
 
Thank you,
 
Kaitlin Tito
Hello Friends,
 
We have more Meals on Wheels openings available! Please see the information below and feel free to contact us if you are interested:
 
Drivers needed at Biddeford
Biddeford Meals on Wheels is in need of delivery drivers on Tuesday mornings from 10:00AM-12:00PM. These delivery routes would be primarily in the Biddeford/Saco area. The site is located at 189 Alfred Street in Biddeford.
 
Packagers needed at Portland/Westbrook (Temporary)
Portland/Westbrook Meals on Wheels is looking for two volunteers to assist with packaging food on Thursday mornings from 9:00AM-12:00PM. Please note that this is a temporary volunteer role from 12/17/20 – 1/28/21. This role does require volunteers to work in close proximity with each other in the kitchen – so for safety purposes we encourage members of the same household to contact us with their interest. The site is located at 426 Bridge Street in Westbrook.
 
 
SMAA Volunteer Services
136 US Route One
Scarborough, ME 04074
207-396-6595
 
 
 
 
Also please ask if they could choose to help out to include myself or Julie on the communication so that they can be recognized for their service hours. Thanks Conrad 
 
 
Conrad Welzel <cwelzel2017@gmail.com>
Julie Villemaire <JVillemaire@sbsavings.bank>
 
 
T
Attendance: Paulette Bonneau, Joe Boyle, Karen Chasse, Melissa Cilley, Brian Dallaire, Paul Deschambault, CJ Dubois-Cote, Jane Foley, Jen Fullmer, Roland Gagne, Susan Gajewski, Heather Gendron, Marty Grohman, Keith Jacques, Jim LaBelle, Kristen Lane, Heather MacLean, Joe Moreshead, Mark Nahorney, Bill Paterson, Donald Pilon, Brenda Pollock, Kathy Shea, Haley Thompson, Kaitlin Tito, Matthew Tuller, Julie Villemaire, Conrad Welzel
 
President Don welcomed everyone
Pledge of Allegiance
Invocation by Paul Deschambault
Haley led the 4-Way Test
 
Announcements:
 
GENERAL DISCUSSION
  • The club by-laws have been revised and reviewed by the board
  • All members will receive a copy after Bill completes some final changes; to be voted on at next meeting
  • Thank you to everyone who paid the invoice amount for foundation giving
  • Please return the pledge form to Brian - so far he has only heard back from 3 people
  • The club goal is $7,000 to the foundation (club matches gifts up to $100)
  • Heather has emailed everyone their pairing for holiday gift swap
  • There will not be a club meeting on December 30th
  • Please let Marty know if you can participate in Wreaths Across America, December 19th at 9 AM
  • Bell ringing at Walmart is scheduled for December 12th from 9 AM to 8 PM
  • COVID-19 subcommittee's next meeting is December 9th
  • The subcommittee recently approved $500 in assistance to Jim Godbout's Hannaford gift card donations
  • The Saco food pantry could use volunteers to pick up food at Shaw's and Hannaford and drop off at pantry
  • Volunteers would help out on Thursdays between 7 - 8:30 AM (must be able to lift 40 lb. boxes)
Induction - Dr. Mike Burman, Behavioral Neuroscientist, UNE
 
FINANCIAL UPDATE
  • Operational account remains largely unaffected by COVID restrictions
  • The charitable giving account has taken a hit due to cancellation of $100 raffle
  • The golf tournament resulted in a $9,000 profit
  • Expected income from 100th anniversary party is about $15,000
  • $2,500 in funding expected from grants
PAUL DESCHAMBAULT, CHAIR OF NOMINATING COMMITTEE, NOMINATES THE FOLLOWING:
  • President: Marty Grohman
  • President-Elect: Brenda Pollock
  • Vice President: Paulette Bonneau
  • Secretary: Julie Villemaire
  • Treasurer: Susan Gajewski
  • Directors (2020-2021): Roland Gagne, Kaitlin Tito
  • Directors (2021-2023): Mark Nahorney, Bill Paterson, Conrad Welzel
  • Immediate Past President: Don Pilon
  • Assistant Secretary: Kaitlin Tito
  • Assistant Treasurer: Kathy Shea
Brenda makes a motion to approve; seconded by Fausto
Quorum is 18 (29 members present) and a majority approves
 
Heather MacLean filling in as Sergeant At Arms
 
HAPPY DOLLARS
  • Conrad - $1 - Happy to have 2 new members
  • Don - $1 - Happy to welcome Mike Burman
  • Jen - $5 - Grateful for recent donation to Boots2Roots
  • Dr. Joe - $5 - Christmas tree is up and lit
  • Fausto - $20 - End of waiting period after wedding
  • Bill Paterson - $5 - New granddog, Mrs. Maisel
  • Bill Paterson - $5 - Welcome to Mike
  • Mark Nahorney - $1 - "Home For The Holidays" virtual concert, December 17th-27th, $20 admission
  • Julie - $10 - Welcome to Mike, Matt, and Jen (and she also survived a super glue incident)
  • Brian - $2 - Haley promptly returned her pledge form and Jim made a sizable donation to the foundation
FINES
  • Keith - $1 - As payment for Bill's by-laws presentation
  • Keith - $1 - Because Heather is happy to see him
  • Don - $1 - Just because
  • Jen and Mike - $1 - New member fee
  • Jim LaBelle - $1 - For his beard
  • Brenda - $1 - For having perfect hair
  • Roland - $1 - Maxed out on Paul Harris
Meeting adjourned at 1:10 PM
 
 
 

 

 

Give where the need is greatest

When you give to The Rotary Foundation, you fuel our service projects - projects that eradicate polio, promote peace, and improve developing communities.

DONATE

 
  • Patrisha is a photojournalist who started this project as a way to bring awareness to the issue of domestic violence
  • After her husband's arrest, she was surprised by how many people shared their own stories of abuse
  • The project is an exhibit of photographs captioned by the subject as well as audio recordings
  • There are also banners throughout Camden's Main St. featuring photos of survivors and the Maine Domestic Abuse Helpline number
  • People often feel very alone in these situations, but the patterns are consistent and easy to see in large numbers
  • Isolation due to COVID will likely exacerbate the problem for people who are in abusive relationships
  • Finding Our Voices is not a service organization, but points people in the right direction to get help
  • They are working on a new initiative - to inform people of the link between pet abuse and domestic abuse
  • Half of all murders in Maine are the result of a domestic abuse situation
  • Lax sentencing for domestic abusers is a problem - often no jail time or case is dismissed (especially due to COVID/crowded jails)
  • The organization would like to expand their campaign to our area next year
  • Please contact Patrisha if you would like to be involved in any way
 
PS:  
I very much enjoyed meeting you and your Rotary Club and thank you again for the invitation.
I am excited about the assistance  that was offered to bring domestic abuse awareness to the Saco/Biddeford community in 2021.
Thank you for sharing my contact info with the group from today, and particularly the two men that said they will help me with legislators and the downtown group.
My email address is hello@findingourvoices.net and cell number 207 322 6460.
On the web at:  https://findingourvoices.net 
 
Kindest regards,  
 
Patrisha McLean
Founder/President
Producer/Host 
Let's Talk About It on WERU
 
 
 
It has come to our attention that the Saco Food Pantry could use some assistance with Friday morning donation pick-ups from Shaw's and Hannaford, from 7 AM - 8 AM. 
 
A sign up sheet is available here:
 
If you are unable to view the spreadsheet but would like to sign up for a time slot, please let me know and I will add your name.
 
Volunteer opportunities are also available at the following times - 
 
The Saco Food Pantry has 4 distinct jobs during 3-time frames. 
  • The first volunteers work from 7AM to about 8AM, any day Monday through Friday. These volunteers pick up the donations from Shaw's and Hannaford's and bring them back to the pantry where they are carried inside and weighed. Some of the boxes can be heavy. 
  • Two other volunteers work 7AM to about 8AM, any day Monday through Friday processing the bakery, dairy and meat donations in preparation for the opening of the pantry.
  • Third group works from 7:30AM to about 8:30AM, any day, Monday through Friday. These volunteers process the produce donations in preparation for the opening of the pantry. 
  • The fourth group works from 9AM-10:30AM, any day Monday through Friday. This group packs groceries for clients (but do not have contact with the clients who remain outside). 
Thank you,
 
Kaitlin Tito
 
FAMILY GARDEN/APEX YOUTH CONNECTION
  • Rebecca Cote joined the call to tell us about Apex's planned activities
  • The kids will do seed starts in the spring and the 9th grade class is working on wood projects
  • Their program would dovetail nicely with the Rotary Club's gardening project
  • Smaller garden beds can be built at Apex and delivered; for larger beds it may be better to build on site
  • We should also consider whether families have space for larger beds (make different sizes available)
  • The club may also wish to partner with Holly Culloton from the community garden program for maintenance assistance
  • Ken will set something up (get feedback and report back to group)
  • Rebecca offered to put together a preliminary timeline to have project up and running by spring, to be discussed at next meeting
  • The subcommittee will possibly work on an educational event with Apex - if COVID allows
GIFT CARDS
  • Jim Godbout donates Hannaford gift cards to those who don't feel comfortable asking for help or going to the food pantry
  • He could use some assistance this year - his budget is usually $1,000 - $1,500
  • Ken and Brian propose $500 to Jim for gift certificates and there are no objections
Next meeting 1pm Dec 9.
 
Thank you,
 
Kaitlin Tito
 
 
 
 
FESTIVAL OF TREES AUCTION
  • The subcommittee will donate a raised bed as an auction item
  • Typical size - 8' x 3', soil will be included
  • A description of the item and potentially a photograph will be provided for the auction
  • Don to take a photo of the garden at Pierson's Lane/Bacon in Biddeford - to be used for reference
  • We may want to include in description that local children are participating in the project
FAMILY GARDEN PROJECT
  • Becca in charge of gardening project at Apex - will be joining next subcommittee meeting
  • Ken looked at different grant applications and put together an application for this project
  • Eligibility requirements - space for garden, sunlight, permission to place garden on property
  • Gardens will be assembled on site with assistance from recipient
  • Ken will reach out to Guy Gagnon to discuss pre-authorization from Biddeford Housing Authority
  • We may want to have a lawyer take a look at the application as well
  • Youth Full Maine has good quality cardboard sheets we can use (to keep weeds out)
  • Melissa will contact Holly Collerton (community garden organizer) for input
  • Budget is $46/per garden, with 20 initially budgeted for
  • Everyone is OK with co-branding with Apex, working name is Family Garden Project
  • The proposed budget, application, and brochure are attached for reference
MISCELLANEOUS
  • Youth Full Maine & Age Friendly Saco are holding food distribution event next week
  • They could use volunteers - Wednesday, 11/18 from 11-1 
  • Katie will send the details to Brian, to be sent to the rest of the club
  • Brenda's last email regarding the food pantry suggested sending reminder to club - Conrad will follow up with Brian
 
Thank you,
 
Kaitlin Tito
 
 
SACO & OOB FOOD PROGRAM
  • The last time Don spoke with Saco Food Pantry they had sufficient funding
  • Volunteers are still needed, particularly on Friday mornings for donation pick-up
  • The sign-up spreadsheet has been simplified - please leave your name and contact information in the appropriate time slot, and Brenda will forward to her contact at the food pantry
  • Link to doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_6Jz8MuaZlVS8IcDnGTkMlCkD8l3k4Hriekq8fRSDjA/edit?usp=sharing
  • City of OOB has no immediate need but does anticipate need in the future
MASKS & SANITIZER
  • About 550 masks remaining from bulk donation
  • Don recommends holding onto them for now
  • The City of Saco administrator says that first responders, police, etc. have enough masks
  • Bon Appetit and Youth Full Maine received mask donations
  • We should plan to check in with smaller nursing homes on their mask needs
  • Don will stop by the MacArthur Home to see if they could use any
  • 3 bottles of hand sanitizer remaining - different groups stop by and pick up as needed
  • St. James School funding request is substantial ($288 x 10 months) - to be decided by board
GARDENING PROGRAM
  • Recommended size for raised beds - 3 ft x 8 ft
  • Individual (visible) gardens are recommended rather than community garden
  • Available to Saco, Biddeford, and OOB communities
  • An application should be created to determine who receives garden donations
  • Boxes, soil, seedlings to be donated to recipients
  • The subcommittee could also follow up with families to assist with maintenance 
  • Duties for next meeting: Kaitlin creating pamphlet/Ken working on application/Joe putting together budget
Thank you,
 
Kaitlin Tito
 
Club Information
Welcome to our Club! Rotary District 7780 -- Club Number 6294 -- Est. 1920
Biddeford-Saco

Service Above Self

We meet In Person
Wednesdays at 12:15 PM
Run of the Mill Public House & Brewery
100 Main St
Saco, ME 04072
United States of America
Current meeting via ZOOM
Club Executives & Directors
President
President Elect
Vice President
Treasurer
Assistant Treasurer
Secretary
Immediate Past President
Director
Director
Director
Director
Director
Director
Foundation Chair
Club Protection Officer
Webmaster
Program Chair
Upcoming Events
Speakers
Club Twining with RC of Amman Jordan
Jan 20, 2021 12:15 PM
Joint meeting with DG, AG & DFC attending
Amelia & Ryan
Jan 20, 2021 12:30 PM
Saco Parks & Recreation Community Senior Meal Distribution Program
Dr Ed Bilsky
Jan 27, 2021 12:30 PM
Website Sponsors (FMI click on logo)
Rotary's 4-Way Test
 
Red Ribbon Committee
 
End Polio
Enter your email address and the message you want to send.
* fields are required