Posted by Gayle Demko on Jan 29, 2018

Club Meeting January 23, 2018

 Opening and Welcome:  Vice President Charles Roumas opened the meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance and the recitation of the Rotary Four-Way Test.  Scott Seabury provided the invocation and led the club singing of “God Bless America”.

 Members Present: Dale Baker, Joe Blake, Gayle Demko, Jed Dery, Frank DiGennaro, Natalie Donais, Jackie Guzie, Gail Handley, Greg Heineman, Jon Kozloski, Clark Mason, Karen Mason, Don Miner, Jack Muska, Jay Presser, Heidi Partain, Don Rawling, Charles Roumas, Scott Seabury, Gordon Stagg, Tom Sullivan, Nancy Viggiano and Tami Zawistowski.  (23/32….72%).

 Guests: None.

 Announcements: Vice President Roumas made several announcements:

 

-A thank you note was received from the Steve Sorrow family for their delivery of Salt & Sand.

-A thank you from Don Miner for the support during this difficult time.

-A thank you to Greg Heineman for repairing the Rotary wooden gear flag stand.

-And congratulations to Heidi Huhn Partain who announced that she was declared ‘cured’ of her cancer. 

-Feb 6 our own Greg Heineman will be the speaker and he will enlighten our membership with a view into the world of CT Realty. 

 

PROGRAM: Vice President Roumas introduced Tami Zawistowski, our State Representative who was elected in 2014.  Tami currently serves on three committees but notes the major focus of the House is the development of a budget, which operates on a two year cycle.  This $41.2 billion budget is comprised of 78% fixed costs leaving 22% for funding programs and projects.  Revenues for the budget are comprised of 50% income tax denoting 50% must be found thru other fund raising efforts.  And there is a prediction that many residents will be retiring and moving out of state, thereby losing those revenues.  The 2018 fund raising concepts cited were creating tolls, legalizing marijuana and pension reform as well as a new property tax law to increase this tax.  Tami handed out a booklet which briefly details some of the important issues the General Assembly may face in 2018.  We sincerely appreciate Tami’s efforts in working so hard for our district.

 

Blue Ticket Winners: Clark Mason held the winning blue ticket tonight; sides won by Jack Muska and Nancy Viggiano.

 

Queen of Hearts:  Tami Z had the winning red ticket but did not select the Queen of Hearts as we could not locate the current deck of game cards. Total winning pot now stands at $95+.

 

Birthdays and Anniversaries: Natalie Donais enjoyed a rousing rendition of Happy Birthday.

 

Adjournment: Charles Roumas closed the meeting with a group singing of “God Bless America”.

 

 

Next week’s meeting (January 30) – Induction of our newest member, Karen Berasi.