Ben Williams has a bright outlook and spoke highly of his school and opportunities there to serve and grow. Our club is very proud to sponsor this dedicated Grade 12 student and we trust that his admirable, refreshingly optimistic example will inspire others to smile at the future! Learn more about Ben, pictured here with his sponsoring teacher Mr. Tom Veenstra, by reading the full story!

Ben's teacher Mr. Tom Veenstra shared the following:

Each month of the school year, the Rotary Club of Duncan is pleased to recognize a local student from one of the secondary schools in the valley as "Student of the Month" as selected by their Principal and teacher. Going beyond scholastic merit, we look forward to honouring exceptional students who gladly use their time and talents to contribute to their school and community - values for which Rotary is known. The award traditionally includes participation at our Rotary luncheon for the winning recipient and guests, a $100 cheque and a certificate (expertly imaged and donated by PrintCraft of Duncan), and an opportunity to hear from both their teacher and ideally a few words from this inspiring young person.

Anticipating flexibility for the challenges of making presentations in 2020/21, as well navigating a delayed start, we invited Duncan Christian School to select their student for the month of September and to meet with us online at our Monday, September 28th noon hour ZOOM video conference call. What followed next was a delightful visit with DCS Grade 12 student Ben Williams and his sponsoring teacher Mr. Tom Veenstra, along with glowing testimonials from his mother and grandparents. Rotary members enjoyed an informal Q&A as we learned about Ben’s many talents ranging from natural leadership both in class and out trekking – as well as starring in team sports, demonstrating enterprising “Rube Goldberg style” mechanical aptitude (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3_jrNX1NSM) and shining on stage in the performing arts leading to roles in Chemainus Theatre productions. In addition, Ben has competed in the Rotary Club Hector McIntosh Student Speaking Competition, placing first 3 times! Undeterred by the unfortunate program limitations necessary this year, Ben Williams has a bright outlook and spoke highly of his school and opportunities there to serve and grow. Our club is very proud to sponsor this dedicated Grade 12 student and we trust that his admirable, refreshingly optimistic example will inspire others to smile at the future!

The Rotary Club of Duncan was established in 1930 and has been “Giving Back to the Community” ever since, in the spirit of the Rotary motto, "Service Above Self". Each month we also feature an area of focus - September is Education and Literacy, and October is Economic Development. For more information about the Rotary Club of Duncan, including information about our other Youth Programs, please find us online at our website https://portal.clubrunner.ca/672/. You can also find us regularly sharing our stories on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!  #RotaryOpensOpportunities