Club History / Charter Members

Subpages
Related Pages
Links
Files
Photo Albums
 

A little history

Born in the fall of 1936, the Courtenay Rotary Club celebrates it's 74th year with a proud record of service to the communities of the Comox Valley.

In October of 1936, Courtenay businessman, Hy Smith was approached by the Governor of District #1 and his assistant Bill Mainwaring (VP of B.C. Electric-Vancouver) urging him to initiate the formation of a Rotary club in Courtenay. Mr. Smith, in the company of Mr. Mainwaring, canvassed the town and within a week the minimum requirement of 20 business and professional men had indicated their desire to form a Rotary club and the Rotary Club of Courtenay came into being on the 27th of November 1936. Hy Smith was appointed President, Joe Hitchen - Treasurer, Leo Anderton (Wilf's dad and Audrey Craig's grandfather) - Secretary, Joe Hitchen - Sgt. At Arms, supported by directors Padre Bryce Wallace, Bill Rickson, Dr. Drew Straith, and Bob Lang. In addition there were 12 charter members. At that time admission fees were $10.00 and dues were $17.50

A couple of names very familiar to us in the present day were founding members, two of which were Wallace Mcphee and Cliff Laver (Mike's dad).

Of the 1st 16 presidents of our club, Harold Woodland was the last to pass on. Our senior president still in our club is  John Gansner.

The 1st luncheon meeting was held at the Elks hall on October 27,1936 and with "service" as it's motto, the Rotary Club of Courtenay inaugurated a long history of community involvement and activity when it participated in sending a carload of fruit and vegetables to the drought stricken areas of the prairies.

RESEARCH BY D COLLETTE

ACTING HISTORIAN

FOUNDING  MEMBERS  ( Click on Link to view Directors)

CHARTER NIGHT ( Click on Link to see what was for dinner)

 
Sponsors