The Rotary Club of Omaha was founded on August 4, 1911 and affiliated with the National Association of Rotary Clubs in March of 1912. As Rotary Club #37, our club has the distinction of being one of the first hundred Rotary clubs.
Our club is part of Rotary District 5650 , which includes Eastern Nebraska and Western Iowa. There are 45 clubs within our District, 11 clubs reside in the greater Omaha/Council Bluffs metro area and include almost 1000 members. The Rotary Club of Omaha is the largest in this area, with 250 members. Our membership represents a significant cross-section of community leadership and a strong commitment to the growth and welfare of our city.
That commitment is carried out by our members through a range of committees, each focusing on specific avenues of service. While our members and immediate community are an important part of the club's focus, our sense of community extends to the world-at-large through our international service committees.
The Omaha Downtown Rotary Club Foundation is a non-profit for the purpose to carry out the community service projects of the Rotary Club of Omaha. The Club Foundation also provides community grants emphasizing educational opportunities, veteran services and senior citizens. For more information, go to www.omaharotary.org/foundation.
“WHATEVER ROTARY MAY MEAN TO US, TO THE WORLD IT WILL BE KNOWN BY THE RESULTS IT ACHIEVES.”
—PAUL P. HARRIS
OUR ONGOING COMMITMENT
- Warren G. Harding, U.S. president
- Jean Sibelius, Finnish composer
- Dr. Charles H. Mayo, co-founder of Mayo Clinic
- Guglielmo Marconi, Italian inventor of the wireless radio and Nobel laureate
- Thomas Mann, German novelist and Nobel laureate
- Friedrich Bergius, German chemist and Nobel laureate
- Admiral Richard E. Byrd, American explorer
- Jan Masaryk, foreign minister of Czechoslovakia
- H.E. Soleiman Frangieh, president of Lebanon
- Dianne Feinstein, U.S. senator
- Manny Pacquaio, Filipino world-champion boxer and congressman
- Richard Lugar, U.S. senator
- Frank Borman, American astronaut
- Edgar A. Guest, American poet and journalist
- Sir Harry Lauder, Scottish entertainer
- Franz Lehar, Austrian composer
- Lennart Nilsson, Swedish photographer
- James Cash Penney, founder of JC Penney Co.
- Carlos Romulo, UN General Assembly president
- Sigmund Sternberg, English businessman and philanthropist