Posted by Anne Gibson on Nov 09, 2018
5:30 - 6:00 Social  Meeting convened at 5:55pm with The Pledge of Allegiance, 4 Way Test, Invocation and Happy Bucks
President Phil was absent and Anne was sitting in, therefore these Minutes might be a bit sketchy! Like the Happy Bucks ... I'm sorry I can't remember all of them. 
Present:  Chief Joseph DeWolf, Reba Webber, Mary Faley, Kat Feltmann, Roger Cogan, Anne Gibson, Susan Scott.  Guests: Ginny + Jim Cosbey
NEW MEMBER INDUCTION:  We were honored to induct Mary Faley, Superintendent Elgin School. Susan did the honors.  (See pic below)
PRESIDENT'S REPORT:  1) Fr. Sean, Kino Border Initiative, has contacted Phil and informed him that the existing Comedor will be torn down due to an expansion at the border and highway. We are hoping to transfer the District Grant + our matching funds to a project at the new facility (warehouse across the highway is secure). Anne attended the AG's Presidents Meeting Thursday morning and reported the "bad news"; AG Hank feels we will be able to transfer the funds to another project for the mission. Phil will contact Joe Puett to discuss.  2) Phil would like our December 13 meeting to focus on the functions of the Club bank account and the Foundation bank account. Many of the members are not clear on what funds are used for which functions (Anne included). Phil says "This would not only benefit all (and especially new) members, but give the membership a handle on how new or upcoming programs might be supported. I also believe this kind of update helps folks become more invested in the Club and opens the door to greater project participation." 3) Anne reported on the AG's Presidents' Report:  a) a request that each club send a representative to a regional meeting on 11/19th in Sierra Vista to discuss ideas for long term growth and membership retention; time + place of meeting TBD. Phil needs to contact Nancy Fusco to let her know who will attend and to get details of meeting. b) Elections for Club Officers must be held at December 13th meeting and Liz Cohen and RI must be informed sooner than 12/31/18.  Anne has volunteered to be President, Reba has volunteered to be Secretary + Pres. Elect, Sue Archibald has volunteered to remain as Club Treasurer. We need a Youth Services Director if Anne can't do both; we also need a Foundation Treasurer if Leslie wants a replacement and a Membership Director is Susan wants a replacement. c) Region wide call for donation of 12 frozen Turkeys (or $$$) from each club to donate to St. Vincent de Paul Food Bank in Sierra Vista. Susan noted that in the past our club has donated to the local group, Santa's Helpers, who provide meals for needy families in our own community. We discussed a voluntary donation by each club member of $5.00 to be collected by our next 12/13/18 meeting. Anne will let Hank know we will be keeping our holiday donations local. d) 2019 District Conference Cruise: $50 non-refundable deposit to reserve rooms on ship needed ASAP. Carnival Cruise will open up the booking to the public in the next few weeks, so if you hope to attend the District Conference Cruise you must reserve. Check the District's website. e) There is $6,000 remaining, undedicated $$$ from last year's DDF. These $$$ are available for projects but must be requested soon.  We need to contact Joe Puett. Anne suggested we coordinate with Fr. Sean ASAP and see if he has a need we can fulfill by transferring our current District Grant, and possibly additional $$$ from the remaining previous year's DDF. 
OLD BUSINESS:  1) Student of the Month is Jesus Lopez Barreda, a senior, who came to PUHS a few years ago as Spanish speaking only. He was nominated by English Teacher Journee Hays. Not only has Jesus succeeded at being fluent in English but he constantly helps the other Spanish speaking students.  2) 2019 Golf Tournament discussion.  Leslie has managed the Golf Tournament for enough years that its high time another member(s) step up and take a primary role in the Tournament.  This tournament is not only our major $$$$ raiser but has been extremely successful in raising $12K-$22K and is our most vital source of funding all the great work we do. Please seriously consider stepping up, knowing that the entire club membership's active participation is vital. The tournament is 6 months away and time is marching along swiftly. Thanks to Leslie's and Fred's great past management the groundwork is in place but so much personal contact is neccesary to raise sponsorship $$$$ and dontations.  3) 2019 Career Day is scheduled for 3/8/19. Randy would like to hold the first steering committee meeting the week of 11/28-30th.  Reba and Sue have agreed to attend. Please contact Michael Young, PUHS,  if you can engage. 4) RYLA update: Gianna Martin and Mary "Evie" Ramos have been selected as our Delegates and Coco Whitcoe has been submitted as a Jr. Counselor. The other applicants, Arriana Ochoa-Tovar and HannaH Young have been placed on the Alternates List. 5) Banners - Susan showed everyone our club banner and explained that the banners are used whenever ANY of us travels and visits another Rotary Club. Its a Rotary tradition, along with sharing pins. We have 25 banners in our storage shed (behind the Copper Brothel & Brewery). 
NEW BUSINESS:  1) Discussion of developing a new fundraiser(s). To continue to support our community with our various contributions we all must work harder. We discussed doing a Wine+Dine Around Fundraiser, similiar to what we did several years ago (on a smaller scale). What this involves is partnering with local eateries + wineries for an afternoon of sipping + tasting an offering at each business.  For instance, for $50 a person gets a "passport" identifying each participating business. Each business features a wine, beer or cocktail AND a bite of food. Along with the passport you get 2 coupons for drink at place of your choice, otherwise the drinks are at a set discounted price ($2).  We discussed Rotarians supplying the "bites of food" at the wineries who don't offer food.  This is simply an example of how it could work. We know the event has to be in the early fall, given our busy schedules and other Rotary events/fundraisers.  Please give it some good thought and bring your suggestions to our next meeting. This is just "planting the seed" of another fundraiser, but we'd like to schedule and get to work on something soon.  2) Availability of Grant $$$ from the Patagonia Regional Community Foundation.  Susan is a Board Member of the PRCF and presented the opportunity. Discussion ensued that identified the completion of the fencing of the Park. Applications are due in January and Sue Archibald will spearhead the project + grant application.  3) HOLIDAY PARTY!!! January 10th, 5:30 - 8:00, PotLuck + BYOB, tentatively at The Babacomari Ranch Hdqtrs "Big House".  Stay tuned for invitation!!  4) No meeting on 4th Thursday this month, THANKSGIVING.  Club Social, Thursday 11/29th at Sue's home in Casas Arroyo, outside around the fire pit. Roasting marshmallows + Smores. BYOB.  Invite to come ... but please plan on it. Its such a great time to not be hounded for work projects, and to just relax and enjoy each other's wonderful + amusing company! 
NEW MEMBER, MARY FALEY and Susan Scott, Membership Director