Welcome to our Club

M.E.R-Club

Service Above Self!

2nd and 4th Thursdays 5:30pm
The Steak Out
3243 State Highway 83
Sonoita-Patagonia-Elgin, AZ  85637
United States
DistrictSiteIcon
District Site
VenueMap
Venue Map
 
Stories
Meeting convened 6:00pm at The Steak Out, following a 30 minute social/networking opportunity. The meeting opened with the "Pledge of Allegiance", an Invocation, and a review of the 4 Way Test tenets.
Present:   Phil Eiker, Sue Archibald, Reba Webber, Roger Cogan, Leslie Kramer, and Anne Gibson.  Guests:  AG, "Hank" Huisking, fellow Rotarian from Sierra Vista Rotary Steve Hester, Mary Wood, Alex Ramos, Carmen Gomez, Al Ellefson, Faith Boice, Marti Conway, RYLA students: "Evie" Ramos, Gianna Martin, "Coco" Whitcoe, and Student of the Month Gideon Ellefson.
Happy Bucks:  Phil:  delighted his daughter, Manon, had a good professional training opportunity; Reba:  loved spending Valentines Day with the Pre-Schoolers + Kindergarteners at Patagonia School giving out books; Steve Hester:  happy to join us to tell us about a fun event he's promoting; Sue:  1) shared with us the wonderful BIG Thank You Book that the kids from Patagonia School gave us; 2) welcome to the RYLA gals; 3) welcome to her daughter, Mary Wood, and grandson, Alex; Anne:  happy to have so many students present for our meeting as beneficiaries of our Rotary club; Hank:  happy to be at our meeting and loving the great weather today.  
Special Recognition:   Phil was sorry that Charlie Kentnor was not present to receive his 2nd Paul Harris Fellow Award.  This award is a distinguished recognition of Rotarians who donate $1,000 to the Paul Harris Foundation.
Student of the Month:  Carmen Gomez, Spanish teacher at PUHS, presented the award to Gideon Ellefson for his improvement in tackling a foreign language, and being a strong team player. Gideon was present with his Dad, Al. 
Old Business:  
           Career Fair update:  Randy phoned in his update. Attached is the Itinerary. Randy has enlisted 51 individuals and various agencies to present their careers to the students. He's fine-tuned the format based on last year's responses. This year's Key Note Speaker will be Dean Fish, Ph.D, locally famous Agriculture advocate + expert. Our club is hosting the Hospitality House, with Sue and Reba organizing and they need HELP. Please contact either of them if you can help out.  We are strongly encouraged to attend, either to help out in any way ... or to simply see what an amazing event has been developed for the Patagonia and Elgin/Sonoita students.  Friday 8th March 8:45am PUHS  Please see Itinerary included herein. 
            Rio Rico Rotary Club Bike Race:  Saturday 23rd March. Our club "mans" the drink station for the racers in Patagonia; the table is located outside the public restrooms in the town park.  Randy, Anne, and Phil have volunteered.  The Rio Rico Rotary Club sponsors a Golf Hole in our own annual Golf Tournament in gratitude for our help in their event. 
             The Fred B. Sang Memorial Rotary Park update:    Leslie has been working with Deborah Fellows in the design/construction of the special plaque honoring Fred. They are shooting for a Dedication in May, allowing time for the plaque and the entry to be constructed. Leslie is also coordinating with Jennifer of the Fairgrounds. 
AG "Hank" Huisking district update:  Hank passed out a comprehensive Calendar of Events for our Region 11 and District 5500 for the next few months, included herein.  Please look at it as there are some really great events happening around Southern AZ for Rotarians. Hank highlighted a few of the events. She also urged us to set a date for our Officers Installation. 
Guest Speakers:  Marti Conway & Faith Boice of the Empire Ranch Foundation gave us an interesting historical background of the Ranch and the development of the Foundation.  On-going renovations of the historic buildings is a focus of their work along with the very many events held at the Ranch. I've included, herein, their "Working Calendar" of events from their most recent newsletter, along with a flyer for their upcoming Milestone Celebration on Saturday 23rd March.  Their Foundation is always looking for volunteers who can fulfill an endless list of tasks.  Please note their website on both of the included flyers. 
RYLA presentation:   Our club sponsored 2 students from PUHS, Gianna Martin and Coco Whitcoe, along with Evie Ramos, Sue Archibald's granddaughter, to attend the Rotary Youth Leadership Awards in the woods above Prescott over Martin Luther King holiday weekend. The gals gave a fun presentation sharing their favorite events and the challenges they tackled. Each of the gals voiced their excitement and appreciation of the opportunity;  they each noted that they gained valuable leadership skills and CONFIDENCE.  Its really wonderful to see the value of the work we Rotarians do in providing opportunities for our local youth.  
Kino Border Initiative update:    Phil continues to work with Fr. Sean in developing a project for their new facility in Nogales, Sonora. Phil's hope is to enlist the partnership of several of the Sierra Vista Rotary Clubs in getting a Global Grant.  Global Grants are a minimum of $30,000, and the application deadline is in July. The biggest task at hand is to identify a specific project and come up with a realistic budget. 
Last but not least ... Guest Rotarian Steve Hester presented a flyer (attached) of an upcoming concert event in Tucson, benefitting The Ronald McDonald House and TROT. He promises a rockin fun time.
We packed ALOT of business and great presentations in this meeting ... Adjourned at 7:15pm
Attendees:  Phil, Rachel, Mary, Sue, Susan, Roger, Leslie, Reba; Students of the month & their guests (see below),
Happy Bucks: Phil:  $1 for his daughter's safe return home to Vermont after her visit to Phil; $5 to thank Anne for hosting such a great party. Sue:  $1 Grand-daughter returned from RYLA; $1 her husband had his hip surgery and is doing great; $1 her grandson has a new name for her husband since his surgery, its Grumpy Grandpa. Mary:  $1 enjoying wintering here instead of in Michigan. Leslie:  $1 Her law partner had surgery and is doing well; $1 For her beloved Wisconsin Badger basketball team beating #2  Michigan!!
Student of the month:
The students that attended the meeting were as follows.
1.  Jesus Lopez Barreda for English accompanied by Michael Young  (Patagonia Elementary & High School Behavior Intervention Specialist).  2.  John Hubbell for AG. Science accompanied by his parents, Denny & Tonya Hubbell, and teacher Ms. Zamudio. 3.  Isaiah Ruiz for History, was unable to attend the meeting due to a family emergency.  He will be recognized at the high school next week with his parents or grandparents.
3.  Old Business
  a.  President’s Report: 
- Charlie has received his Paul Harris Fellowship
- Per our last meeting, Phil asked that functions of the Club bank account and the Foundation bank account be discussed. He stressed again that it was confusing for some members on what funds are used for which functions.  It will also shed light on how new and upcoming projects are supported.  Leslie and Susan informed the members that they had formed the Foundation, kept separate from Rotary International, in order to keep charitable event money available for support of local events/projects. Leslie noted that the Foundation has a checking, savings and money market account, which includes the returned grant money from the Kino Initiative.  Projects, such as the new Park, fall under the Foundation.  Leslie currently manages the Foundation and maintains the records, which are separate from the Club Treasurer functions.
- Phil had received a request for volunteers to help pass out water to bikers during the Patagonia Bike Race scheduled for March 23, 2019.  Randy and Reba had done this last year.  He asked for any volunteers.  We only need 2, the water is supplied and a table is put out in Patagonia (at the bathroom areas of the park.)  Job entails handing out water to any bikers that stop.  Contact Phil if to work on this event.
   b.  Treasurer’s Report:
- Sue went over the Profit and Loss statement, noting that there is $3500 cash on hand not noted on the handout.  The statement from July through December 2018 reflected a negative net income $842.79, but Sue noted that we had not received another $500 from PETS, and some members club dues were outstanding.  This handout reflected the most current information available.
     c- Project Status Report:
 Career Fair:
The identity issues that Randy had reported have been resolved according to Sue.  The Career Fair is scheduled for March 8, 2019 and planning meetings are scheduled and being held.  Randy, Sue, Rachel and Michael Young are working on the details.  Sue said that we would need $100 from the Foundation for expenses, the same as we spent last year.
d.  District 5500 Conference
Sue shared that we had received the Rotary Citation she discussed in the previous meeting, and displayed the copy for the members. 
New Business: 
a. New Banners
-Susan has received the new banners and they are in storage.
b.  RYLA
-Sue reported that RYLA participants have returned and that feedback was extremely positive from those we sponsored, including her granddaughter. 
c.  Rotary Park (Plaque) status
- Leslie reported that the plaque design commemorating Fred Sang is finished and Deborah will be forwarding the final design to the club for approval.  The podium is still an open issue and being addressed
d . District Grant –Kino Border Initiative
     -The matching grant from the Kino Border Initiative issue, discussed at last meeting, has been returned.  We have kept $937, placed in a separate account.  Father Sean still needs support for making improvements to their new warehouse.  Club members were supportive of this direction and we will need to reapply for another grant, possibly with other clubs, or a Global Grant.  Phil is working with Father Sean to determine what the actual costs will be for the improvements to the warehouse (i.e. kitchen, dining room, bathrooms, etc.) .  Those costs will determine the grant amount.  Phil has weekly call with Father Sean that includes discussion of the improvements and costs.  He will report status at next meeting.  Sue will check to see if there is a new minimum on Global Grants. 
e.  Golf Tournament status
  - Leslie emphasized again that the work on the tournament needs to be distributed among the members, so that she will eventually not have the sole responsibility of coordinating the event.  She and Fred have been the coordinators, and now that Fred is no longer here it has become a more difficult project to manage.  This has been the main fundraiser for the club, but Leslie noted that the trend for funds has been going down.  Instead of netting $20K we used to raise, we are closer to $12K now. But it is still the main fundraiser for the club. Leslie has established connections with the big donors, and the golf club, as well as being one member who understands how to set up a golf tournament.  Most members do not even play golf.  Phil suggested that if we decide not to do tournament that we could do a lot of smaller events during the year OR we need to step up and all participate in helping with the tournament.  A decision must be made now since the tournament is usually held in April.  Leslie noted that the Chili Cook Off, also held in April, brings in about $3000, so the tournament is still our biggest moneymaker and eliminating it will be very difficult for the club.  Finding big donors will be the key to any smaller events.   Phil suggested that we move the tournament to the fall, that will give us more time to redistribute the work and make decisions regarding the future of the event.  Leslie will contact the golf club to see if that is a possibility, due to the maintenance of the course.  Susan suggested holding a special meeting on 1/29 at 5:30pm, and Phil will notify all members.  Phil asked that the goal of the meeting should be to define the components of the event, identify the sponsors, identify potential new sponsors, and assign tasks to members. 
 
NEW BUSINESS (not on the agenda)
  1. Phil noted that the club needed to think about developing new fundraisers, and he would like to see the members bring some ideas forward at the next meeting.  Examples he discussed were:  a bike race similar to the Tour de Tucson which Anne had suggested last year; partnering with other clubs; partnering with other organizations, etc.  Club members discussed how they really need to think about new fundraisers, especially since many of our past donors no longer are available, not giving, and our current fundraisers are not bringing in that much money.   
  2. Rachel discussed the problem with the Patagonia Pool, the broken filtration system and maintenance repairs that need to be done.  The Pool maybe shut down due to the expenses.  She is trying to obtain community support in an effort to keep it open.  She would like all of us to think about the issue and see what we could do to help.
  3. Sue discussed the government shutdown and how it is impacting the border patrol. She would like the club to assist in someway.  Community members are already taking food to the patrol headquarters. Sue and Susan have talked with border patrol agents about what support they would need.  But the agents said that, per their internal directives, they couldn’t do that.  Susan said they need some help but they are being told to say “they are okay”.  Getting gift cards or gas cards, or perhaps setting up a gift account at the mercantile for the agents was discussed.  Sue would check with the mercantile to see what we could do.  Per Leslie, we have money in the contingency fund, and members discussed using $1000 out of the fund.  The fund had $3000 and we have only spent $937. 
  4. Reba discussed having the Empire Ranch Foundation present at a February meeting.  The Foundation has created an outreach group, and developed a presentation.  Reba will contact the group and find out when they are available and notify Phil.
Meeting was adjourned
 
5:30 - 6:00 Social  Meeting convened at 5:55pm with The Pledge of Allegiance, 4 Way Test, Invocation and Happy Bucks
President Phil was absent and Anne was sitting in, therefore these Minutes might be a bit sketchy! Like the Happy Bucks ... I'm sorry I can't remember all of them. 
Present:  Chief Joseph DeWolf, Reba Webber, Mary Faley, Kat Feltmann, Roger Cogan, Anne Gibson, Susan Scott.  Guests: Ginny + Jim Cosbey
NEW MEMBER INDUCTION:  We were honored to induct Mary Faley, Superintendent Elgin School. Susan did the honors.  (See pic below)
PRESIDENT'S REPORT:  1) Fr. Sean, Kino Border Initiative, has contacted Phil and informed him that the existing Comedor will be torn down due to an expansion at the border and highway. We are hoping to transfer the District Grant + our matching funds to a project at the new facility (warehouse across the highway is secure). Anne attended the AG's Presidents Meeting Thursday morning and reported the "bad news"; AG Hank feels we will be able to transfer the funds to another project for the mission. Phil will contact Joe Puett to discuss.  2) Phil would like our December 13 meeting to focus on the functions of the Club bank account and the Foundation bank account. Many of the members are not clear on what funds are used for which functions (Anne included). Phil says "This would not only benefit all (and especially new) members, but give the membership a handle on how new or upcoming programs might be supported. I also believe this kind of update helps folks become more invested in the Club and opens the door to greater project participation." 3) Anne reported on the AG's Presidents' Report:  a) a request that each club send a representative to a regional meeting on 11/19th in Sierra Vista to discuss ideas for long term growth and membership retention; time + place of meeting TBD. Phil needs to contact Nancy Fusco to let her know who will attend and to get details of meeting. b) Elections for Club Officers must be held at December 13th meeting and Liz Cohen and RI must be informed sooner than 12/31/18.  Anne has volunteered to be President, Reba has volunteered to be Secretary + Pres. Elect, Sue Archibald has volunteered to remain as Club Treasurer. We need a Youth Services Director if Anne can't do both; we also need a Foundation Treasurer if Leslie wants a replacement and a Membership Director is Susan wants a replacement. c) Region wide call for donation of 12 frozen Turkeys (or $$$) from each club to donate to St. Vincent de Paul Food Bank in Sierra Vista. Susan noted that in the past our club has donated to the local group, Santa's Helpers, who provide meals for needy families in our own community. We discussed a voluntary donation by each club member of $5.00 to be collected by our next 12/13/18 meeting. Anne will let Hank know we will be keeping our holiday donations local. d) 2019 District Conference Cruise: $50 non-refundable deposit to reserve rooms on ship needed ASAP. Carnival Cruise will open up the booking to the public in the next few weeks, so if you hope to attend the District Conference Cruise you must reserve. Check the District's website. e) There is $6,000 remaining, undedicated $$$ from last year's DDF. These $$$ are available for projects but must be requested soon.  We need to contact Joe Puett. Anne suggested we coordinate with Fr. Sean ASAP and see if he has a need we can fulfill by transferring our current District Grant, and possibly additional $$$ from the remaining previous year's DDF. 
OLD BUSINESS:  1) Student of the Month is Jesus Lopez Barreda, a senior, who came to PUHS a few years ago as Spanish speaking only. He was nominated by English Teacher Journee Hays. Not only has Jesus succeeded at being fluent in English but he constantly helps the other Spanish speaking students.  2) 2019 Golf Tournament discussion.  Leslie has managed the Golf Tournament for enough years that its high time another member(s) step up and take a primary role in the Tournament.  This tournament is not only our major $$$$ raiser but has been extremely successful in raising $12K-$22K and is our most vital source of funding all the great work we do. Please seriously consider stepping up, knowing that the entire club membership's active participation is vital. The tournament is 6 months away and time is marching along swiftly. Thanks to Leslie's and Fred's great past management the groundwork is in place but so much personal contact is neccesary to raise sponsorship $$$$ and dontations.  3) 2019 Career Day is scheduled for 3/8/19. Randy would like to hold the first steering committee meeting the week of 11/28-30th.  Reba and Sue have agreed to attend. Please contact Michael Young, PUHS, myoung@patagonia.k12.az.us  if you can engage. 4) RYLA update: Gianna Martin and Mary "Evie" Ramos have been selected as our Delegates and Coco Whitcoe has been submitted as a Jr. Counselor. The other applicants, Arriana Ochoa-Tovar and HannaH Young have been placed on the Alternates List. 5) Banners - Susan showed everyone our club banner and explained that the banners are used whenever ANY of us travels and visits another Rotary Club. Its a Rotary tradition, along with sharing pins. We have 25 banners in our storage shed (behind the Copper Brothel & Brewery). 
NEW BUSINESS:  1) Discussion of developing a new fundraiser(s). To continue to support our community with our various contributions we all must work harder. We discussed doing a Wine+Dine Around Fundraiser, similiar to what we did several years ago (on a smaller scale). What this involves is partnering with local eateries + wineries for an afternoon of sipping + tasting an offering at each business.  For instance, for $50 a person gets a "passport" identifying each participating business. Each business features a wine, beer or cocktail AND a bite of food. Along with the passport you get 2 coupons for drink at place of your choice, otherwise the drinks are at a set discounted price ($2).  We discussed Rotarians supplying the "bites of food" at the wineries who don't offer food.  This is simply an example of how it could work. We know the event has to be in the early fall, given our busy schedules and other Rotary events/fundraisers.  Please give it some good thought and bring your suggestions to our next meeting. This is just "planting the seed" of another fundraiser, but we'd like to schedule and get to work on something soon.  2) Availability of Grant $$$ from the Patagonia Regional Community Foundation.  Susan is a Board Member of the PRCF and presented the opportunity. Discussion ensued that identified the completion of the fencing of the Park. Applications are due in January and Sue Archibald will spearhead the project + grant application.  3) HOLIDAY PARTY!!! January 10th, 5:30 - 8:00, PotLuck + BYOB, tentatively at The Babacomari Ranch Hdqtrs "Big House".  Stay tuned for invitation!!  4) No meeting on 4th Thursday this month, THANKSGIVING.  Club Social, Thursday 11/29th at Sue's home in Casas Arroyo, outside around the fire pit. Roasting marshmallows + Smores. BYOB.  Invite to come ... but please plan on it. Its such a great time to not be hounded for work projects, and to just relax and enjoy each other's wonderful + amusing company! 
NEW MEMBER, MARY FALEY and Susan Scott, Membership Director                                                                                                  
 
CLUB BANNER
Meeting convened at 5:55pm at The Steak Out. Technically this was not a club meeting because it was our annual visit by the District Governor and he set the itinerary.
Present:  Phil Eiker, Reba Webber, Charlie Kentnor, Roger Cogan, Kat Feltmann, Leslie Kramer, Anne Gibson.  Guests:  District Governor, Kirk Reed; Incoming District Governor, Ellie Patterson; Assistant District Governor, Hank Huisking; Student of the Month, Aspen Miller and her Dad, Dan Cantu, and brother; and Kat's guest Tony Fennell. 
The meeting was opened with The Pledge of Allegiance and an Invocation (read by new member Kat)
New Member Induction:  Kat Feltmann was inducted by Susan Scott, Membership Director. Kat is an AZ native, born + raised in Prescott, who's lived in Sonoita for 7 yrs now. Kat works at Ft. Huachuca and has been with the Army for 20 yrs. Kat's interest in Mountain Empire Rotary was really sparked when she learned of our project with the Kino Border Initiative Comedor. 
OLD BUSINESS:  1)  Phil reported that he and Sue Archibald visited the Comedor and toured the recently purchased "warehouse" across the road. 2)  Leslie reported that she deposited the Grant $$$ into a separate savings account at National Bank, who waived all fees.  Next, Phil reports that he checked with DPS regarding our planned Ride for Polio bike ride in conjunction with The Tour de Tucson on Sat. 11/17th.  DPS would require us to get a license, which would include 2 off-duty officers, for a cost of $400-500.00.  Consequently we elected to CANCEL the fundraiser. surprisesad.  As a side note, any Rotarian can participate either at the Tour de Tucson, or riding on their own; register at
INTRODUCTION OF DISTRICT GOVERNOR, KIRK REED:  Kirk's bio is in the Documents section of ClubRunner.  He is a 3rd generation Rotarian; his mother is still a Rotarian at the age of 97! Kirk is passionate about Rotary and he believes the keys to a vibrant club are Relationships and Meaningful Service. His 3 themes for his year as Governor are 1) Dream Big  2) Have Fun  3)  Get Stuff Done.  He asked the meeting attendees to engage in an exercise that would give us a deeper insight to each of us; he asked each person to state their full name and something they are most passionate about (their children excluded).  I will note, herein, because I think its interesting and it makes his point about deepening our relationships with each other.  Kirk: loves books; Charlie: travel; Roger: the natural world; Kat: Justice; Tony: all children; Leslie: Justice + Golf; Anne: children; Ellie: being outdoors; Hank: bike riding; Phil: giving back in return for his life's blessings; Reba: children with disabilities + illness; Susan: kindness + travel.  Kirk stressed the importance of building relationship and the value we all share for meaningful service to others. He spoke of Rotary's new PEACE ACADEMY, which is an on-line course, no $$. His goal is to have at least 100 of our District 5500 members participate in the PEACE ACADEMY. Enroll at  http://www.rotarypeaceacademy.org/   .  Kirk ended his talk with the quote "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others".  
In-Coming District Governor, Ellie Patterson:  Ellie is from the Rotary Club of Tucson. She spoke about next year's District Conference which is a cruise from Long Beach, CA to Ensenada, MX. It will cost about $500/person for 3 days/nights, all meals.  The ship is named Inspiration and its a Carnival Cruise.  It will be October 25-28, 2019. They are holding many spots on the ship for this cruise for Rotarians.  There is a flyer at the Documents page in ClubRunner, and you can go to  www.rotaryd5500.org  for more info and a link to register. 
Meeting was adjourned at 7:10pm  See pics attached  ~  
Meeting convened 6:00pm at The Steak Out
Present:  Charlie Kentnor, sitting in for Pres. Phil (away), Sue Archibald, Leslie Kramer, Reba Webber, Susan Scott, Anne Gibson; Guest: "Cigi" Cynthia Smith, Nurse Practitioner.
Meeting opened with The Pledge of Allegiance, The 4 Way Test, and an Invocation (a silent moment dedicated to all the victims of the recent weather calamities around the world).
Happy Bucks:  Charlie, Happy he + Elen are going to the East Coast for 3 weeks for the Holidays. Charlie and his sister will celebrate their birthdays together; Sue, her husband was in Florida until yesterday and got out just in time to miss Hurricane Michael; Anne, happy that Sue was present to accept our club being awarded The First Annual Literacy Award at the District Conference; Leslie, The Brewers are in the ranks for the Pennant for the first time since 1982. 
We began with welcoming Cigi and asking her to give us an introduction. She is the owner of Desert Streams Family Practice, a medical clinic next to Sonoita Realty at 3123 Hwy 83. She is a Tucson native who has a history as an Emergency Room and ICU nurse, is a licensed Nurse Practitioner; her husband, Marc, a registered nurse, is her partner. They moved here last year after years of visiting and falling in love with our Mountain Empire! The clinic's hours are Mon-Thurs, 8-5, Fri 8-1. Currently she is in the process of getting contracted with Medicare; they have based their pay schedule on a substantially reduced rate, patients can submit for reimbursement to their insurance company.  We followed by each of us giving a brief intro + history of ourselves. 
New Business:  Sue attended the Presidents' Meeting in Phil's place, following is her report. District Governor, Kirk Reed, will attend our next meeting and he will present us with The President's Award Citation. Every club in our District qualified which is a rare occurrence. Wouldn't it be great if every club member were present to welcome the District Governor!?! The District Fundation Day is Nov. 3rd at Skyline Country Club. Our club will pay for a member to attend ($50). No one at the meeting is able to attend ... so let Sue Archibald know ASAP if you can go.  We must have a President Elect to attend PETS in February. If we do not have a President next year we will NOT have a club. Anne volunteered (reluctantly). She will contact Hank Husking to let her know. Leslie reports that Kino Golf Club will reopen on 10/24th and we can proceed with plans for our annual Golf Tournament.  Leslie updated us on The Fred Sang Memorial Rotary Park:  Member, Roger Cogan has requested compensation for his work as caretaker of the Park, which includes rescuing & caring for the rose garden.  It was voted + approved that Roger's quarterly dues will be reduced 50% to compensate for his on-going work at the park, effective this current quarter. Sue will send him a revised bill. Roger will also be reimbursed for any "out of pocket" expenses neccessary to maintain the rose garden. Leslie noticed that the 2 Corn Hole games disappeared today between 9:00-3:00. Jim Rowley has no knowledge of this. Sue will contact Jennifer Rinaldi (Manager at Fairgrounds) tomorrow morning to ask if she knows what happened; if she has no knowledge, Sue will file a Police Report of theft. Remaining items for the park are the sign and trash receptacles. Leslie hasn't had a chance to get bids on the sign. Trash receptacles must be secured and designed so people can't just dump their home trash.  Leslie also brought up our club's annual donation to The Paul Harris Foundation. Historically the club has donated $100 for every member from the Foundation account. This is not a typical procedure. There was good discussion revolving around setting a criteria for which members should be awarded the club donation on their behalf to the Paul Harris Foundation. One of the criteria would be at least 50% meeting attendance/yearly. Another criteria would be participation in at least 1 Fundraiser yearly.  Another criteria would be the amount of work a member contributes to club projects or fundraisers. We proposed that this topic be on the Agenda for the next meeting and a vote made. New Member Induction of Kat Feltmann and Mary Faley shall be at the next meeting with the participation of District Governor, Kirk Reed. 
Meeting was adjourned at 7:10pm
Meeting convened at 6:00 at The Steak Out with The Pledge of Allegiance, an Invocation, and The 4 Way Test.
Present:  Phil Eiker, Susan Scott, Sue Archibald, Rosann Clark, Rachell Hochheim, Michael Young;  Guests:  Damian Castro, Monica Acevedo, Andrea Sanchez, Anna Coleman, Ms. Lemons (Science Teacher, PUHS).
Happy Bucks:  Sue: her husband has had great recovery from his recent hip replacement surgery, welcomes Anna Coleman, Guest Speaker; Susan: UofA football beat So. Utah; Anne + Rachell:  both welcomed + appreciated Damian Castro, Student of the Month; Phil: A "Good Diagnosis" for Nicole. 
Student of the Month:  Damian Castro was introduced by Michael Young, along with his "Nana" Monica Acevedo, Mom Andrea Sanchez, and teacher Ms. Lemons. Damian was selected by his Science teacher, Ms. Lemons, for his "underlying potential as a student who can top the curve". Damian was awarded a crisp $100 bill.
Guest Speaker:  Anna Coleman, Founder + Director, Patagonia Youth Enrichment Center.  Anna annnounced the 4th Annual Adolescent Youth Conference, 9/29th, featuring guest speakers on health (physical + mental) matters, decision making skills, teen dating violence, and Katie's Way. Anna also reminded that PYEC welcomes AZ Tax Credit donations. They rely solely on private donations. Anna also spoke about all the benefits the PYEC offers our local youth, they are "open" from 4:00pm until the last kid goes home. Anna works as a volunteer at the center every afternoon following her full-time position as a teacher at Elgin School.  Please see DOCUMENTS in ClubRunner for a more detailed update on PYEC. 
District News:  "Hank" Henrietta Huskings has been elected as our next District Governor, commencing in 3 yrs. Our own Sue Archibald will take her position as our Assistant D.G. at that time!
District Conference:  this weekend. Anne is bringing a case of wine. Our club is being honored with the first annual LITERACY AWARD. 
RYLA:  We've paid for 3 spots, including Sue's granddaughter (paid by Sue).  Russell Sherman, who went last year, is applying for a Junior Counselor position. We need to pay in advance for his attendance ($400) and we'll be reimbursed if he is not selected. Sue will send $400.
Rotary Fundation Day 11/3rd:  Phil presented a flyer, encouraging members to attend.  The flyer will be in the DOCUMENTS of ClubRunner.
Park Dedication:   Shall be predicated on having the sign ready to hang.  Ideally it will be ready by 11/17th when we kick off our first Ride for Polio event bike ride from Sonoita to Patagonia, coordinated with the Tour de Tucson.  Sue, Phil & Anne will committee that event. Given the tight time frame we may start small, with just soliciting club members to ride. Club members will garner $$ sponsors for the riders. Phil will coordinate with local DPS, Rotary insurance, and Border Patrol. Another idea for the Park Dedication came at the District Conference when Sue + Anne learned this year is our club's 55th yr. anniversary. We could coordinated a Grand Bday Celebration with the Park Dedication. Again, its all predicated by the sign being completed. Leslie is working on the sign. 
Kino Border Initiative Comidor District Grant:  Phil has scheduled a meeting at the Comidor on Monday 10/1st; Sue + Phil will attend.
Rotary "Stuff" Order:  Sue has searched out banners. We want to purchase 3 banners to hang on the fences of PUHS, Sonoita Fairgrounds, Elgin School. Sue will order; we discussed our history with Darryl Umphleet, Anne will call them to see if they're still making banners. Sue noted that she would need to pull $$$ from our "main account" to cover as this is a one time expense. 
Sue also noted that she is working on clearing up the Paul Harris Donations 2017-18 vs the Micro-credit Program funding.
Rotary Leadership Institute:  1/26/19, Tucson.  Phil presented flyer, will be in DOCUMENTS in ClubRunner. Please consider attending.
Mat Bevel Company donation:   We received a request from Paula Shaper for an update on our club activities to include in their newsletter. Anne will send.
Elgin School Trash to Treasure:  Phil received a request for $$$ for this program. Mary Faley was not present to detail. 
Phil will be out of town for the next meeting, 10/11.  
Meeting adjourned 7:20pm
 
Student of the Month Damian Castro, Teacher Ms. Lemons, Michael Young, "Mom" Andrea Sanchez, "Nana" Monica Acevedo
 
Anna Coleman, Founder & Director Patagonia Youth Enrichment Center
 
 
Meeting convened at 6:00pm at The Steak Out with The Pledge of Allegiance, an Invocation, and The 4 Way Test.
PRESENT:  Phil Eiker, Randy Heiss, Roger Cogan, Sue Archibald, Anne Gibson.  Visitor: "Kat" Katherine Feltman
HAPPY BUCKS!  Phil: Daughter, Manone, had a successful business trip to Houston, TX; GrandDaughter, Natalie is settled in as a Freshman at Univ. North Carolina. Happy to see Randy at meeting. Sue: Enjoyed the Club Social at Nicole + Phil's home; GrandDaughter is a Freshman at Salpointe High School and won a role in their production of FootLoose!  Roger: Happy for Joannie who is away on a well deserved vacation.  Anne: loves all the great work this club is doing. Kat: The VA (Veterans' Admin) will pay for her to earn her Masters in global security at the UofA.  Randy: spent 9 perfect days in San Carlos where he + Marcella have rented a home for a month. 
PRESIDENT'S REPORT:  1) Phil presented that the Sierra Vista Rotaract Club is requesting slightly used shoes for the project they are working on. Please bring to the next meeting 9.27th.  2) No one from our club was able to attend the District Membership Workshop in Green Valley 2 weeks earlier.  3) District Newsletter deadline is 21st of @ month. Anne will submit. (Unfortunately Anne missed Sept due to being out of state for that week). 4) Phil is having lunch with Greg Lucero, representative of the Patagonia Mines, as a congenial "reach out". 5) District Conference:  Sue and Anne will attend. Anne will get case of wine from Sonoita Vineyards (Owners' discount). 6) We paid for 3 students for RYLA. We need to send an additional $400 for a Junior Counselor position as the fellow who went last year is applying for a JC position. The $400 will be refunded if he is not selected. 7)  Someone noted that Leslie will submit Form 990.  8) Ride to End Polio + Tour de Tucson. We had a great discussion which resulted in the idea of our club holding a local bike ride from Sonoita to Patagonia (it was highlighted that it is a DOWNHILL ride!) in conjuction with the event. We would solicit local riders who would get donor sponsors. Furthermore, we could hold the event as the Grand Opening of the Fred Sang Memorial Rotary Park and kick-off the ride from the Park. Obviously we've got a tight time-frame, the Tour de Tucson is Saturday 11/17th.  Sue, Anne & Phil will head up a committee to determine if/how we could pull this off! We need an update from Leslie on the sign. 9)  Park update: Jim Rowley notified Sue that the Ramadas are going up tomorrow (9/14) at the Park, and the grills will go in next week. 10) MER Banners:  There was discussion that we need to beef up our "branding" and public exposure.  We should have banners to put up on the fences at PUHS, Elgin School, the Fairgrounds (each of those institutions has agreed). Sue will look into it and bring a $$$ amount to the club. 11) It was voted + approved to spend $120 to purchase 9 Rotary hats and 4 Way Test Coins to be given to the Student of the Month as a "keepsake" momento.  12) Randy is chomping at the bit to get going on beginning the planning for next year's Career Fair.  He needs to coordinate the date ASAP with PUHS. (Anne discussed with Michael Young the next day). 13) Kat and Mary Faley will be inducted as new members at our 10/11 meeting.
MEETING ADJOURNED 7:00pm 
 
President Phil and his lovely wife, Nicole, welcomed the club members to their home for our first 2018 club social.  The club had voted to get together at a member's home whenever there is a 5th Thursday of the month.  Present were:  Elen & Charlie Kentnor, Sue Archibald, Susan Scott, Anne Gibson, Rachell Hochheim, and guests Tessa Fiegle, our past exchange student from Germany, Keith Barth, Gary Cooper, and Tina Hall.  Tina is the new manager of the Audubon Society's Paton Center for Hummingbirds in Patagonia and a Rotarian that Sue met at the annual convention.  Sue and Tina regaled us with stories of the recent Rotary International convention in Toronto.  Sue also awarded President Phil with a Rotary Bolo Tie and the ladies with Rotary "bling" that she picked out for us at the convention.  See the pics below  ~  Sue and Tina strongly encouraged members to attend the annual convention, next year it's in Hamburg, Germany and the following year in Hawaii.  Sue plans to continue to attend annually.  
On another note, Susan, Tessa and Anne distributed 18 dictionaries to the 3rd Graders at Patagonia Elementary School on Tuesday.  The kids were enthusiastically appreciative and had fun looking up words and interesting facts.  
 
Meeting convened at 6:00pm with The Pledge of Allegiance and Invocation 
PRESENT:  Phil Eiker, Leslie Kramer, Sue Archibald, Susan Scott, Charlie Kentnor, Rosann Clark, Reba Webber, Anne Gibson, Mary Faley, Rachell Hochheim;  Guests:  Amanda Zamudio, Guest Speaker from PUHS;  "Kat" Katherine Feltman, neighbor of Leslie + Anne. 
HAPPY BUCKS:  Sue - Happy her husband, Steve, is doing well following knee replacement surgery; Leslie - The Badgers (football team) ranked #4 in country; Susan - Happy that Tessa, our former German exchange student is arriving this weekend for a visit;  Reba - is happy that she learned how to donate/recyle her mother's hearing aids ****  please contact Reba if you want to learn how;  Charlie - happy that our majority female members elected a male President;  Anne -  happy that Charlie has been a Rotarian for 50 yrs!!!!  
PRESIDENT'S REPORT:  The check for $937 for the District Grant has been received and Leslie will deposit into a separate account under the Foundation.  Fr. Sean of The Kino Border Innitiative has been notified and Anne will notify the Rotary Club of Nogales, Sonora.  Phil will remind Fr. Sean that our participation goes beyond simply providing $$$, that we need to have an active role in the project.  It was suggested that we could help move out all the furniture, etc ... in the comidor, Phil will coordinate with Javier, the "project manager" and let us know date/time.  Phil began a discussion about our club's participation in the community, starting with The Border Patrol and the Patagonia Mines. Phil would like the club members to contact him via email as to their feelings about our support & involvement with the Border Patrol and the Patagonia Mines. 
Phil & Nicole are hosting a casual cocktail party at their home in the Rail X Ranch Estates on Thursday 8.30th at 5:30 for our club members.  Please join us! 
PROJECT STATUS REPORT: 2 grills have been ordered for the Park.  Hopefully the Ramadas will be up by the Labour Day Rodeo.  The Fairgrounds Board has asked us if we would allow a few RVs to be parked, on display/for sale on the Park site.  There was no consensus and a vote was not made.  2 individuals from the Fairgrounds Board requested that our club replace fencing that was removed during the construction of the Park on the NW section of the Park.  Rachell and Amanda, both members of the Fairgrounds Board, were not aware of this request.  It was voted + approved that we would provide $290 (an estimate provided by the 2 from the Fairgrounds who made the request) for a temporary fence to be installed for the upcoming Rodeo, until a more thorough request + discussion would be considered.  
DISTRICT 5500 CONFERENCE:  Phil included in the Agenda documents a page regarding "Exhibits Information".  He encouraged all of us to consider attending the conference.  The document(s) are in ClubRunner under DOCUMENTS.  
NEW BANNERS:   Susan reports that the cost for new banners is $240 for 25 and $440 for 50.  It was voted + approved that Susan would order 25 new banners.
GUEST SPEAKER:   Amanda Zamudio, AG teacher, PUHS, presented the CTED Funding which will be on the November Ballot Election.  Her flyer describing the program is in the DOCUMENTS section of ClubRunner.  It is estimated that the tax will be 5 cents/100 $$$ of your property assessment. This program will provide more vocational classes. 
COCHIN MIDTOWN ROTARY REQUEST FOR  ASSISTANCE:  discussion and voting shall be tabled until the next meeting
PARTICIPATION AT COUNTY FAIR ON FRIDAY "SCHOOL DAY":  In the past we have "manned" the "bar" giving out sodas to the students.  We need volunteers for the morning. Please be prepared to sign up at our next meeting, or contact Phil if you will not be present.
PUHS 50/50 RAFFLE AT RODEO:  It was voted + approved that we would sponsor a 50/50 Raffle at the Rodeo benefitting PUHS.
PUHS STUDENT OF THE MONTH:  Anne + Phil will attend on Friday 9.15.18 @ 9:15am
3RD GRADE DICTIONARIES:   Sue + Anne will present at Elgin School on Friday 8.24.18 @ 8:00amm;  Anne + Susan will present at Patagonia Elementary on Tuesday 8. 28.18 @ 10:00am.  Awaiting to hear back from Patagonia Montessori for scheduling.  
All documents addressed during the meeting are available on the DOCUMENTS link in ClubRunner.  See pictures below!
MEETING ADJOURNED AT 7:17pm 
 
 
 
The Fred Sang Memorial Rotary Park is moving forward. The new Tables for the Ramada's are in and we should have the Ramada's done by the Rodeo! Thanks to Jim, Gary, Rosanne and Sue for the help!
 
Meeting convened @ 5:30pm at The Steak Out in Sonoita.
Present:  Phil Eiker, Rosann Clark, Roger Cogan, Sue Archibald, Susan Scott, Charlie Kentnor, Mary Faley, Michael Young, Leslie Kramer, Rachel Hochheim, Anne Gibson,  GUESTS:  Nancy Cassel,  "Hank" Henrietta Huisking.  
Phil presented Sue with a beautiful plaque and bottle of bubbly in appreciation of her tremendous work as our Past President.  
HAPPY BUCKS!Phil - Celebrating his daughter, Manon's, wedding; Thankful to Sue for tremendous work as Past President;  Susan - great           trip to Portugal + Spain; past exchange student Tessa will be visiting at end of August;  Charlie - celebrating 50 yrs a Rotarian!!!!!;                 Carmela, beloved dog of 13 yrs was sick but now well;  Michael Young - happy to be joining our Club as the Student Behavioral                     Intervention Spec. at Patagonia School District;  Leslie - happy football season has begun; Kino Golf Club will be reopening soon; the             AZ Women's + Men's Golf Associations will be integrated; Hank - Every club that applied for a District Grant was awarded full amount             $$$ requested; happy to welcome 3 new grandchildren; congratulations to Phil on Presidency of our club;  Rachel - happy that                       Patagonia District schools had such a great year last year;  Nancy - loves our club and has many wonderful memories of past                         exchange students; Roger - happy to join our club.
Old Business   a)  President's Report:   Phil reports that we have a very unique club in that we have great results for such a small group.                        His plans for this upcoming year are to keep our goals realistic and DO WELL by doing what we know.  Phil also reported that
                    our application for a District Grant for installing new flooring at the Comidor in Nogales, Sonora, was awarded in full amount.  
            b)  Treasurer's Report:  documentation attached.  Reviewed by all with no questions.  The 2018-19 yr budget was based on last
                    year's budget.  Megan wants to continue providing the "bookkeeping" services.  Anne will update & print our club brochure.                            Leslie will check into the Amazon donations to assure we are infact receiving.  The Treasurer's Report was unanimously                                  approved & accepted.
            c)  Checking Account Signatories:  Phil + Sue will sign new forms at the bank.  Voted + Approved to add Phil Eiker as a signator to the club account. 
            d)  Project Status Report:  Foundation Report + Budget by Leslie was approved.  The Park update is that the Ramadas shall be                                completed by Rodeo time (Labour Day).  Roger has graciously agreed to taking care of the roses.  The horseshoe pits + corn                          hole games are in.  A Park Dedication shall be planned once the sign is completed and up; Leslie is working on that.   We                                need to schedule a discussion of our individual Paul Harris Foundation donations as an Agenda item at a future meeting; we                            decided to table for an October meeting. 
New Business  -  a)  New Banners:  Susan will order.
            b)  Guest Speakers:   Anne will assign each club member a month to provide the Guest Speakers.  Rachel will take September.
            c)   Meeting Place:  In the past NOISE (from a band) has made it terribly difficult to hold a meeting at The Steak Out.  However, on                           this evening there was no band and the meeting was great.  Leslie will speak to the Wystrachs to see if the band could begin                           at 7:00 on the nights of our meetings.  Our meetings will begin with a Social Gathering at 5:30, and meeting to commence                             at 6:00.  We will resume beginning our meetings with the Pledge, The 4 Way Test, Invocation, and Happy Bucks.  In case the
                         Steak Out cannot change their music schedule we ask the club members to recommend locations (please check with your                               recommended location prior to assure its OK with them to host our meetings).
             d)  Student of the Month:    Michael Young has fine-tuned the program by outlining the Nomination Form criteria for the teachers
                         to submit monthly.  Please see the attached documents.  The Student of the Month award will be presented to the students
                         on the 2nd Friday/mo at the 9:20am nutrition break.  The student + their parents will be invited to the next Rotary meeting
                         to receive the $100 so that the club members can meet the students, and so the students get to meet the Rotarians.   
 Nancy Cassel discussed the Rotary Vocational Fund and its opportunities.  She has applications for these scholarships.  If you know                 of a post-high school candidate for a Vocational scholarship please contact Nancy.
 Hank reminded the club about the upcoming District Conference September 28-29.  She strongly urges members to attend, most                     particularly new members, as it is always very motivating.   Our District Governor will be visiting our club on Thurs 25th October.  
 Mary Faley was introduced as the new Superintendent of Sonoita School District and will be representing the Elgin School as their Rotarian.  We will induct Mary into the club at the next meeting she attends.  
Please see attached photos.  Go to ClubRunner Documents page to see documents.
Meeting was adjourned at 7:15pm  
Hello MER! Stop by the Fairgrounds and take a look at our Park Progress.. Cement Poured and the Ramadas are going up next week! Yahoo
 
Congratulations to MER's 2018/19 President, Phil Eiker! Thanks to everyone who made the event possible! The Ranch was a beautiful setting, the Sonoran Dogs were yummy, the wine flowed, and the Club was energized!  Thanks for our DG Joe for his leadership and inducting our new President and our AG Hank for joining us! A wonderful Rotary Celebration full of Rotary FUN , FOOD and FELLOWSHIP.
 
 
Congratulations to Julianna Quiroga and Ernesto Cabrera (not in attendance) this years MER Scholarship recipients. We received 6 applications this year and all were worthy. Thank you to Rotarians Anne and Susan for making the hard decision and  Rotarians Phil and Sue for being there for us!
Congratulations to The Elgin and Patagonia Middle School Annual Award recipients. 
 
2018 Elgin Middle School Rotary Awards. Congratulations to Emma Goellner (Scholastic award), Madison Vines (Athletics award), Aysialin N. Mountjoy (Citizenship award). Thanks to Rotarians Reba Webber and Randy Heiss for representing the club!
 
Congratulations to Dahana Hernandez for the Leadership, Jesus Guzman for the Scholarship and Savannah Woods for the Citizenship 2018 Middle School Awards at the Patagonia School. A Wonderful Middle School Transition ceremony and thanks Rotarian Sue for representing the club.
Congratulations to Mia Archi, Roberta Ford the school librarian and yearbook sponsor selected her for the final 2018Patagonia High School Student of the Month for her hard work and dedication to this years' beautiful yearbook for the school year 2018/19.
MER Meeting May 10, 2018 – Steak Out
Attendance – Sue A, Susan S, Leslie, Charlie, Reba, Rosann, Annie, Randy.
Visitors – Pat, Joanie and Roger Cogan
 
Announcements
-              There is a Rotary Family Picnic in Tucson this Saturday for District 5500
-              We have received an invitation to the FFA Dinner. Its on May 19th. Anyone interested??
-              District Governor installation is coming up on June 16th at the U of A. Check out the District 5500 website for more info.
-              Foundation check is due by end of May.
-              We still need someone to agree to be President Elect for Phil
-              The change of gavel will be on June 14th and hosted by Anne Gibson at the Babocomari with Sonoran Hot Dogs. RSVP by June 9, please. Annie is putting together a flyer and will get it to everyone.
-              The Mat Bevel group has requested a sponsorship again this year. We will schedule a presentation for early in the fall.
-              The scholarship committee chose to award Ernesto Cabrera and Juliana Quiroga. Scholarship night at Patagonia HS is May 17th at 6pm. Everyone is welcome to attend.  Thanks to Phil for presenting these.
-              Middle School Transition ceremonies and Students of the Year presentations will be May 23rd at Elgin and May 24th at Patagonia. Thanks to Randy, Reba and Sue for presenting these.
-              Our May Student of the Month will be May 18. Sue has volunteered to be there.
-              The club netted around $800 for the raffle at the Wine festival, the chili-fest netted $1528 and the golf tournament $21,425. Thanks to everyone who worked hard to make all of this happen.
-              Leslie gave an update on the park and said that the company who agreed to donate the labor if we name it the Fred Sang memorial park. Work will be progressing with the goal of having it completed by the Memorial Day.
-              A suggestion was made in regards to a fall fundraiser in conjunction with the Patagonia Fall Festival in October. Sue will check if a margarita booth is a possibility and get back to everyone.  
 
 
 
Speaker/Program:
 Roger Cogan was our guest speaker and spoke to us about his new business HomeScape Consulting, LLC. With his background of more than 30 years with the Phoenix Zoo in the Arizona Trails habitats, he comes with a lot of experience and information that is helpful to landowners in the Sonoita Plains.  As a consultant, he will be able to help landowners understand and work with plants and animals on their property; identification and evaluation of issues; finding solutions. The Sonoita Plains is a unique area with a lot of biodiversity. Among other things he has experience with Invasive plants, inexpensive gardening techniques, enhancement of wildlife habitats, water usage, erosion control & conservation, understanding of the laws governing hunting & non-game species, he is certified to assist with fire safety and fire hazard situations, and living with venomous reptiles, poisonous toads and hazardous insects. Check out Roger's website - www.homescapeconsulting.com or call 520-604-8670 for more information.
 
Due to the events at the School on May 24th there will not be a MER Meeting. We also discussed changing the meeting location to the Copper Brothel next year.  More info to come.
Hope to see everyone June 14th at the Installation Dinner!
Great weekend at the Chili Cook off. Year 6! Thanks to everyone who organized everything before the weekend, who made the awesome chili and salsa, who helped out on Saturday and Sunday, who judged lots of wonderful food , sold tastings and just enjoyed the weekend with us! Another wonderful Rotary event!
Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people sitting, table, cloud, outdoor and food
A wonderful Tournament! We had over 70 happy golfers, more than 40 amazing generous sponsors, and over 50 raffle donors who all made the event a success. The day was beautiful and full of Rotary FUN, FOOD and FELLOWSHIP! A BIG thanks goes out to everyone who worked so hard!
 
Directors
President
Treasurer
Secretary
Club Foundation Treasurer
Club Foundation Chair
Membership
The Rotary Foundation
Youth Service
 
March 2019
S M T W T F S
24
25
26
27
28
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
01
02
03
04
05
06
 
Enter your email address and the message you want to send.
* fields are required
 
 
Bulletin Subscribe
Subscribe to our eBulletin and stay up to date on the latest news and events.