ROTARY YOUTH EXCHANGE SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITY

Rotary Youth Exchange is one of Rotary's oldest international programs and is a key component of Rotary's New Generations and Peace initiatives.  

Scholarship recipients spend one full school year attending high school in another country.  The friendships, perspectives, and languages gained in that school year are critical to each student's individual growth and to our global capacity for communication, tolerance and understanding.

Rotary District 6840 will have up to 5 Rotary Youth Exchange Scholarships available for the 2020-2021 School Year.  Each of these scholarships provides complete room and board plus a monthly stipend during the 10-12 months the recipients spend overseas and continue to meet the conditions of exchange.  This is considered the Long-Term Youth Exchange Program. 

We are seeking applications for countries around the world including Argentina, Austria, Brazil, Colombia, Croatia, Finland, Japan, Mexico, Peru, Portugal, Romania, Taiwan and Thailand. 

Scholarship recipients will depart in August 2020 and return home in June-July, 2021.  Students will live with families selected, vetted, and trained by Rotary Youth Exchange in the sponsoring Rotary Club.

Prior to departure, students will attend several mandatory training sessions in being a Goodwill Ambassador for Rotary.

Applications must be submitted through a Rotary Club of District 6840, which encompasses Southeast Louisiana and South Mississippi. Only completed applications will be considered.  ll applicants accepted by a local Rotary Club, provided the applicants meet the minimum requirements for participation, will be interviewed by the District 6840 Youth Exchange Interview and Selection.  Legal guardians of the applicants must be present; the interviews occur over the course of 3-6 hours, depending upon the number of applications received.

Club-Level Application deadline for the 2020-2021 school year is FRIDAY NOVEMBER 1, 2019; the application is found by clicking on "Information for Students" on this page.  Please select the correct application for the Long-Term Exchange Program (LTEP).  

Clubs must submit their approved applications to the District Youth Exchange Committee by FRIDAY NOVEMBER 15, 2019. 

INTERVIEWS WILL BE HELD ON SATURDAY DECEMBER 7, 2019. 

Note that for every scholarship we award, we reciprocate for our Rotary partners.  Availability of these scholarships is dependent in part upon our ability to house students in return.  Each Rotary Youth Exchange Scholar who comes to Rotary District 6840 will be hosted by 3 families.   While it is not required that applicants agree to host as a condition of being awarded the scholarship, one portion of the application requires assistance with identifying potential host families within District 6840.

More information can be found on this site, but if your questions are not answered here, please send an e-mail to:
D6840 Youth Exchange Officer - Samantha Walley at rye6840@gmail.com.