District Goals Status
Rotary's 100 Days of Service
Jan 01, 2017 – Apr 10, 2017
District Team Training
First Pentecostal ChurchMar 04, 2017
8:30 AM – 3:00 PM
Natchez Convention CenterMar 17, 2017 – Mar 18, 2017
Interact District 6840 Conference
Slidell Municipal AuditoriumMar 18, 2017
Rotary Leadership Institute Training Pt I & III
First Pentacostal ChurchApr 22, 2017
District Training Assembly
Pearl River Community CollegeApr 29, 2017
District Conference with District 6820
Battle House; U.S.S. AlabamaMay 19, 2017 – May 21, 2017
Polio Plus Mailings
Jun 01, 2017
Presidental Peace Conference
AtlantaJun 09, 2017 – Jun 10, 2017
Rotary International Convention (Atlanta)
Jun 10, 2017 – Jun 14, 2017
District Governor's Club Visits
Jul 01, 2017 – Nov 01, 2017
Zone Leadership Seminar
New OrleansJul 21, 2017 1:00 PM –
Jul 22, 2017 3:30 PM
Welcome to District 6840
District 6840 Stories
It's time...A key piece of our District's Strategic Plan is to have more clubs engaged with Rotary Youth Exchange...if your club is interested in hosting a student next year, NOW IS THE TIME to make that commitment. Contact email@example.com and we will provide you with the information you need. Things to think about: you need a school willing to host the student for a full academic year; you need at least 2 host families in your community to share the hosting responsibilities; you need 2 Rotarians to serve on the Youth Exchange Committee within your Club.
The RYE Committee is ready to come to your club and to provide all of the training and answer all questions. Students will arrive in August, 2017 and depart in July, 2018. The purpose of RYE is to Advance International Peace, Goodwill, and Understanding one community at a time. We do this by sharing our hearts and homes with teenagers from around the world.
District Response to the Tornado Disaster
in the Hattiesburg/Petal Area
1. Ace Necaise, Chair of the District 6840 Foundation, has notified the District that the Foundation will receive and disburse financial contributions by check [See below]. We are looking into other means for donations as well.
a. Clubs and individuals can donate at:
Rotary District 6840 Foundation
c/o Alford & Alford
384 Voters Road Suite 103
Slidell, LA 70461
Please put the word tornado in the memo line.
b. Clubs may apply for a grant from the Foundation for recovery work. Go to the District 6840 Foundation tab. On the next page click on the Project Request and Acceptance Form in the left column.
For questions about financial contributions or club grants, contact Ace Necaise at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Rob Young, the Assistant Governor for the Hub Territory, has put together a disaster needs assessment for volunteers and item donations.
3. Based on the assessment, Joy Goundas, the Deputy Governor for Service, and District Governor Randall Feldman have put together the following procedure for those clubs or individuals that want to provide direct services or item donations.
1. Rotary Clubs in the area may contact Joy Goundas, email@example.com, for specific volunteer opportunities they have available. Joy will get them posted on rotary6840.org and the District Facebook page.
2. Volunteer Hattiesburg, a United Way Agency which serves the impacted area, has been working closely with Volunteer Mississippi and MEMA to establish a Volunteer Response Center. This center is open to accept volunteers and is located at East Jerusalem Baptist Church at 410 S. Tipton St., Hattiesburg. If you'd like to receive up-to-date notifications, follow Volunteer Hattiesburg on Facebook.
3. There are several non-profit organizations that the local Rotary Clubs have supported that can be contacted for either services they provide or services they themselves need. These include the Salvation Army Hattiesburg, Edwards Street Fellowship Center, Kuntry Kids Youth Foundation, and William Carey University.
And, of course, any volunteer service you perform is part of the District’s Rotary’s 100 Days of Service.
b. Item Donations.
The United Way of Southeast Mississippi has a list of items that are needed and the drop-off locations. The link is: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q2HoGv4-LykChVdwzTk6Nc5WarZI7pbag55HzoVYyXQ/edit.
For questions about service opportunities or item donations, contact Joy Goundas at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted by Ken Thompson
We are in need of additional sponsors for 2017 President Elect Training Seminar (PETS) coming up on March 17-18. Please consider making a contribution or contacting local businesses for support. Sponsorship letter can be downloaded from the website on the page District Events > President Elect Training Seminar.
Rotary District 6840 will spend the first 100 days or 2017 celebrating the centennial of The Rotary Foundation with a multifaceted approach to serving the needs of this unique coastal region:
Rotary's 100 Days of Service.
ROTARY’S 100 DAYS OF SERVICE
February 19, 2017
NUMBER OF PROJECTS REPORTED 15
NUMBER OF PEOPLE SERVED 2057
NUMBER OF ROTARIANS TAKING PART 140
TOTAL NUMBER OF HOURS ROTARIANS SERVED 581.5
NUMBER OF CLUBS 7
NUMBER OF DAYS 35
NUMBER OF NON-ROTARIANS TAKING PART 83
TOTAL DOLLARS RAISED FOR THIS PROJECT $1,100
* Some projects did not have people to count. For example, the Rotary Club of Mid-city New Orleans planted trees.
Edgewater, Gulfport, Hattiesburg
Kenner, Kentwood, Mid-city New Orleans, New Orleans
District 6840 Days of Service
President Elect training Seminar (PETS)
NATCHEZ CONVENTION CENTER, NATCHEZ, ms
MARCH 17-18, 2017
Rotary Clubs are required to send their incoming club presidents to PETS. Ole Man River PETS, a joint event shared by five districts, will be held at the Natchez Convention Center in Natchez, MS, on March 17-18, 2017.As part of the training, a Grants Management Seminar will be held that will qualify participating clubs for 2017-2018 district and global grants. Without a club member in attendance at one of these seminars, a club cannot apply for grants next Rotary year.
Our keynote speaker will be Rotary International President (2018-19) Ian Riseley from Australia. There are breakout tracks specifically designed for presidents-elect, presidents-nominee (those serving as president in 2018-19), and assistant governors. Please make your room and seminar reservations as soon as possible. Go to portal.clubrunner.ca/101004 for more information.