About our District
About our District
Rotary International - District 7120 Evolution
From the time that Rotary was founded in Chicago, February 23, 1905, until 1915 there was but one big district. In July, 1915, the first districts were established and District 2, consisting of all of New York and New Jersey, came into being. Both Rochester and Elmira were members of this district.
In the Rotary years 1918-1919, with increased numbers of clubs, new districts were established, and District 4 came into being. it included Western New York (that portion west of the 75th Meridian) and part of eastern Ontario (that portion east of the western line of Pennsylvania continuing due north) and Western Quebec (that portion west of the 68th Meridian). Canandaigua, Corning, Geneva, Hornell and Wellsville all were members of District 4.
District 28 was formed during the Rotary year 1922-23. It included New York, (that portion east of the eastern boundaries of Orleans, Genesee and Steuben counties and west of the eastern boundaries of Broome, Chenango, Oswego, Herkimer and Hamilton counties and north of the northern boundaries of Fulton and Warren Counties.) In Quebec, (that portion between Meridian 77deg 30 and the 69th Meridian.) In Ontario, (that portion east of Meridian 77deg30.) District 28 included in New York State: Auburn, Binghamton, Canandaigua, Corning, Cortland, Elmira, Endicott, Fulton, Geneva, Ithaca, Ogdensburg, Oneida, Oneonta, Owego, Penn Yan, Rochester, Rome, Seneca Falls, Syracuse, Utica, Watertown, Watkins-Montour and Waverly. IN ONTARIO-Brockville, Kingston, Ottaawa, Renfrew, Smiths Falls. IN QUEBEC-Hull, Montreal, Quebec, Sherbrooke, Three Rivers.
Effective June 1,1938, District 171 was formed to included in New York State (that portion east of the eastern boundaries of the counties of Orleans, Genesee and Cattaraugus; and south of the northern, east of the western, and north of the southern boundaries of Wyoming County and west of the western boundaries of Tioga, Tompkins, and Cayuga Counties). Clubs included in this new district were Avon, Bath, Canandaigua, Canisteo, Clifton Springs, Clyde, Corning, Dansville, East Rochester, Elmira, Elmira Heights, Fairport, Geneseo, Geneva, Hammondsport, Honeoye Falls, Hornell, Horseheads, Lima, Livonia, Mt. Morris, Newark, Nunda, Penn Yan, Perry, Rochester, Seneca Falls, Sodus, Waterloo, Watkins-Montour, Wayland, Williamson, Wolcott.
During the Rotary year, 1957-58 District 712 was formed with no changes in boundaries. In 1991 District 712 was renamed District 7120 which included 71 clubs in these eleven counties: Allegheny, Chemung, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Schuyler, Seneca, Steuben, Wayne, Wyoming and Yates, and the township of Pavilion in Genesee County. Currently (July 2014), there are 69 Clubs in District 7120.
To see a video telling you what or District is involved in please click on the youtube movie below