image

Summer Lewis, alumna of Kansas State University, Manhattan, has been named a Peace Fellow from the Rotary Foundation of Rotary International. She will begin a master's in international studies, peace and conflict resolution at the University of Queensland in Brisbane, Australia in February 2011.

The Rotary Peace Fellowship is an initiative by Rotary International to help train future leaders in areas related to peace and conflict resolution. Rotary Peace Fellowships are offered annually for study at one of six Rotary-affiliated universities in the U.S., Japan, Argentina, England and Australia. Each year up to 100 Peace Fellows are selected worldwide, with 50 master's degree fellows and 50 professional development certificate fellows. Fellows are selected based on strong leadership skills, proficiency in a second language, a commitment to peace and conflict understanding and related career goals.

Lewis plans a career where she can help build sustainable food systems, with a focus on women, in both the developed and developing worlds. "Through the fellowship, I will be able to study how human security and gender issues play into larger conflicts and security concerns," Lewis said. "I will acquire the knowledge for recognizing and addressing underlying causes of conflict and make connections with people and organizations building peace. I plan to ally myself with organizations with a demonstrated commitment to social responsibility, shared decision making and effective stewardship of funds."

After receiving her undergraduate degree, Lewis worked for Equal Exchange, a fair trade coffee, tea and chocolate cooperative near Boston. From June 2009 until May 2010, Lewis lived in Chittagong, Bangladesh, working as the liaison for guest and employee relations at the Asian University for Women.

Lewis has previously traveled, lived and studied in several other countries, and she speaks Italian and Spanish. She also has done various volunteer work, including leading a Kansas State University International Service Team in 2004 and working with a Guatemalan Women's Textile Cooperative. A rticles by Lewis about the Cooperative and a subsequent social change project appear in two edited collections: " Democracy Works: Joining Theory and Action to Foster Global Change" and the forthcoming " Women at Work ."

Lewis is a 2005 Kansas State University graduate in Spanish, sociology and women's studies. She graduated with summa cum laude honors and is a member of Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society, and Golden Key International Honor Society. She also has been a member of Sigma Delta Pi National Collegiate Honor Society, a Spanish Language and Hispanic Culture honor society, and Pinnacle National Honor Society, an honor society for non-traditional students. While at Kansas State University, she had worked for K-State's women studies and American ethnic studies program, K-State's Women's Center and at the Crisis Center in Manhattan. She received semester honors each semester and also received the Adult Student Academic Excellence Award from K-State's adult student services office. She is the daughter of Iris Lewis and Raeford Lewis, both of Manhattan, Kansas.