_______________________________________________________

MONDAYS

11:30 AM - LUNCH SERVED
12:00 - 1:00 PM MEETING

DON'T MISS THIS!

September 30
Matt McClure,
Executive Director of Artlink

October 7
Bruce Kingsbury
PFW Environmental Resource Center

October 14
Sara Gabbard
The Lincoln Collection

October 21
Tim Smith
Republican Candidate for Mayor

October 28
Tom Henry
Democratic Candidate for Mayor
Spin for September 30, 2019
GREETERS: Linda Skaggs (Hampton Inn) & Faye Williams-Robbins (FWCS)
CASHIER: Ramesh Narang (Purdue Fort Wayne)
INSPIRATION:  Tim Shambaugh (Retired Oral Surgeon)
Rotary Is….Barb Wachtman (Retired)
HOUSE:  Kurt Beuchel (1st Source Insurance) & John Gliot (Anthony Wayne Boy Scout Council)
SPIN AUTHOR: Barb Wachtman (Retired)
Web Master & AV: Jim Cress (Retired Pastor)
PROGRAM: Matt McClure, Executive Director of Artlink
MENU: Soups and Salad, Pecan Crusted Chicken, Roasted Potatoes, Broccoli and Carrots, Asst Desserts

Photo of Rotary Members from September 23, 2016 Meeting at Promenade Park

Reporter: John Peirce, Peirce Consulting
Rotarians Celebrate Contribution
to the Success of Promenade Park
Kelly Benton, special events coordinator for Promenade Park, recapped the successful launch of Phase I of Riverfront Fort Wayne which opened to the public on August 9. She also provided a look into the future for the new park and for Phases II and III. After the meeting in the Park Foundation Pavilion, Rotarians gathered behind the adjacent Rotary Fountain for a photo to celebrate the club’s $200,000 contribution. Benton said based on her observations the fountain is the second most used amenity by children next to the PNC Playground. “Parents have learned they need to bring bathing suits when they come to the park because kids love to play in the fountains,” Benton said.
Benton said the Parks Department is working on a five-year business and events plan, and Rotarians can keep up with what is happening and what is coming online at RiverfrontFW.org. A show of hands indicated most Rotarians and guests had already experienced Promenade Park. Some who had not strolled across the Parkview Tree Canopy Trail over the St. Mary’s River after the meeting for a sunny-day view of the downtown skyline. Benton noted that the Canopy Trail will close Nov. 1 for several months to replace the railing.

Benton said her team is anxious to see how the new park is used during the winter months. They are already using observations of how the park has been used since the opening to help them create events that make full use of the possibilities. Weekly events have already included a dance hall, kayak and fishing classes and boat tours.
For the future, her team is considering a mid-summer festival with fire performers and a festival of words featuring books, poetry and open-mic events. There could also be a floating farmers market, floating gardens, water ecology classes, art on the rivers and a muddy river concert series.

She said the proposed new Headwaters Lofts residential building will include a parking garage with over 600 public parking spaces within walking distance of the park. She said the Three Rivers Protection and Overflow Tunnel that will collect flow from old combined storm and sanitary sewers and send it to the treatment plant will help clean the river, but it will always be muddy looking because of its rapid flow and silt bottom.

Phase II of the Riverfront project will be north and west of Promenade Park toward the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Ewing Street bridges. Phase III will be even further west. As impactful as Promenade Park has been, it is only a small part geographically of the overall project.

Arts Program at Washington School
Wins “Big Easy” Funding Showdown 
Rotarians overwhelmingly chose the arts program proposed by Heartland Sings and the Dance Collective over 67 other nonprofit proposals at Monday’s meeting. They will receive half the net proceeds from the club’s next Big Easy Feast. Other finalists prior to the paper-ballot final vote included proposals from the Euell Wilson Center to help youth explore career interests and from Mustard Seed to provide beds for children.
Washington Elementary Principal DaNene Neff had written a letter of support for the winning “Arts Integrated Residency Program” thanking Rotarians in advance for “helping to change the trajectory of our students’ success.” The Big Easy proceeds will help build upon the work started last year when Heartland professionals introduced opera to first grade students in a way that supported the schools core curricula with an emphasis on creativity.  With the grant, Heartland will continue opera in first grade, and Dance Collective professionals will add instruction in movement and rhythm for second grade students. The two nonprofits and the school plan to collect data over three years to show how the arts improve test scores and then go for a federal grant to scale the program.

Randy Roberts receives the Fantastic, Fabulous Pink Flamingo award! (Check the Pink Flamingo on the end of the pencil.)

Welcome Rotary Visitors and Provide Transport: Provide transportation for attendees to and from the airport. Tim emphasized Rotary needs many
“welcome and transport” volunteers. Please contact Tim at 260.348.1465 or tgibson17rotaryworld@gmail.com/ (Insert into your email).

Attend the Leadership Summit! Visit the Rotary Heart of America website: https://www.rizones30-31.org/ for more information.  

Attend special luncheon: Rotary International President-Elect Holgar Knaack will be guest speaker at the October 11 luncheon at The Grand Wayne Center. This is a unique opportunity to meet the upcoming president of Rotary! Cost is $25. Buy TICKET NOW! Contact Lisa Waterman at 260-479-7520, or lisarotarybiz@live.com (Insert into your email) for tickets.

VOLUNTEER - ONE HOUR CAN MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE!
Please consider joining us as a volunteer at Washington School with Study Connection.
A tutoring/mentoring program that matches adults to work one-on-one with
kindergarten - 5th grade students.

Study Connection meets on Tuesdays  from 2:55-3:55 pm. - September thru May
If you can't make a weekly commitment, consider partnering up and tutoring every other week.
Volunteers play a BIG role in the students lives - by helping them with homework, reading, most 
importantly just by being a mentor, and opening the students eyes to to all that they can achieve.

YOU CAN BE THAT TUTOR/MENTOR
If you would like more information on the program, please contact Julie Bobay or Lori Stinson.

2020 Rotary International Convention
For those planning to attend the 2020 Convention, rooms are quickly filling up – contact Lisa Waterman for room reservation information

UPCOMING PROGRAMS: Invite a guest to hear…………..
      October 7: Bruce Kingsbury, PFW Environmental Resource Center: A Partner for Sustainability
      October 14: Sara Gabbard & Bill Lee, Abraham Lincoln: Master of Language
      October 21: Tim Smith, Republican Candidate for Mayor
      October 28: Tom Henry, Democratic Candidate for Mayor

COMMITTEE MEETINGS
      October 7: Local Service, 11 am
      October 14: RYE, 11 am
      October 22: Board Meeting, 8 am

ANNOUNCEMENTS…Mark Your Calendar
      September 30: Community Health & Wellness Fair at Washington Elementary, 3:30-5:30
      October 11: Zone 30 & 31 All Club Luncheon with
      October 10-13: Zones 30 & 31 Leadership Summit in Fort Wayne
      October 29: World Affairs Conference at Purdue Fort Wayne Walb Union

Membership at a Glance:  132 Active and 10 Honorary
      APPROVED MEMBERS:
      Timothy Durnell, VP Private Banker, First Federal Bank of the Midwest, Proposed by Greg Allen
      Mark Moen, General Manager, Fort Wayne Courtyard by Marriott, proposed by Rick Zolman

NEW ACTIVE MEMBERS:
      Maurice Pearl, General Manager, CitiLink
      Jay Maddox, Market President of NE IN, Horizon Bank
      Jacquelyn Mann, Office Manager, IES (Innovative Engineering Services
      Angela Grant, Vice President, Commercial Lender, First Financial Bank
      Chuck Wolfe, WCA, Strategic Solutions for Non-Profits, transfer from Lima OH Rotary Club

NEW CORPORATE MEMBERS
      Fort Wayne Newspapers, Sponsored by Rick Zolman:
      Scott Stanford, President & CEO (member of Ski Town USA Club); Sherry Skufca, Editor of Journal Gazette; John Christensen, Director of Sales & Marketing
      Associated Churches: Kelley Bawmann, Development and Volunteer Coordinator
      Star Financial Bank: Jim Griest, SVP, Private Banking; Mike Weber,

RESIGNATIONS: Louise Jackson, Dave Kaverman; Jorge Ortiz,  Masson Robertson;
      Allen County Public Library Corporate Membership—Greta Southard & Stephannie Smith
      Tom Heil with Associated Churches Corporate Membership

HONORARY MEMBER
      Win Rood, a 50 year member of the Rotary Club of Fort Wayne since 1969