_______________________________________________________

MONDAYS

11:30 AM - LUNCH SERVED
12:00 - 1:00 PM MEETING

DON'T MISS THIS!

May 13
Terri Theisen
The Johnnie Mae Farm

May 20
Paul Harris Community Service Awards

May 27
NO MEETING IN OBSERVANCE OF MEMORIAL DAY

Spin for May 13, 2019 

GREETERS: Greg Allen (First Federal Bank of the Midwest) & Louise Jackson (Bishop Luers High School)
CASHIER: Carrie Minnich (DWD)
INVOCATION:  Barb Wachtman (Retired)
SONG LEADER: TBA
SERGEANT: TBA
HOUSE:  Randy Rider (Crossroad) & Kurt Beuchel (USI Insurance)
SPIN EDITOR: Candace Schuler (Candace Schuler Writes)
Web Master & AV: Jim Cress (retired Lutheran pastor)
PIANO: Masson Robertson (retired from IPFW and The Philharmonic)
PROGRAM: Terri Theisen: The Johnnie Mae Farm
MENU: Soup & Salad, Beef Tips, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Broccoli & Cauliflower & Assorted Dessert Bars

Stories from our May 6, 2019 meeting.
Candace Schuller is the May author for Spin articles.

Jeff Peat, Rotary Foundation Chair, throws down a club challenge!
It seems that, as of April 2019, member donations to The Rotary Foundation are down from last year at this time. Worse, at $16,000 total to-date, they are less than the total of the Anthony Wayne Club. This cannot be allowed to stand. Jeff challenged each member of the Rotary Club of Fort Wayne to dig deep and make a donation so we can best Anthony Wayne. President Dave seconded that challenge with the rallying cry, “Let’s beat Anthony Wayne!”

Mayor Henry issues Proclamation

In honor of our visitors from three clubs in India, Mayor Tom Henry graced the Rotary stage to proclaim May 6, 2019, “Rotary International Friendship Exchange Day.” After the proclamation, our guests from India exchanged club flags with President Dave.

Violins of Hope
Our speaker the May 6th meeting was James A. Grymes, a Professor of Musicology at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, and the author of the critically acclaimed “Violins of Hope: Instruments of Hope and Liberation in Mankind’s Darkest Hour,” which won the 2014 National Jewish Book Award in the Holocaust category.The book tells the stories of violins played in the ghettos and concentration camps during the Holocaust, bringing hope and inspiration both to the violinists and to those who heard them play. Saying “Music can literally save lives,” Professor Grymes told just two of those remarkable stories of hope and inspiration that highlight the incredible strength and dignity of the human spirit.

The first was about a man who saved the lives of over 20 people, including that of his wife and infant daughter, by playing his violin in a ghetto in Romania for scraps of food, and how, near the end of his life, he had his “Friend”—his beloved violin—restored to him by his daughter and the Israeli violin maker who dedicated himself to bringing these inspirational instruments back to life.

The second story old the tale of an intrepid 13-year-old orphan boy who used his talent for playing the violin to infiltrate the enemy camp and strike a blow for justice for his family, all of whom had been murdered by Nazis. Sadly, though the young boy was able to escape with his life after blowing up the enemy stronghold, he later died in combat. His violin, however, lives on to carry his story forward.

Professor Grymes ended his presentation by saying, “The Holocaust is not just six million deaths, it is six million stories of six million lives.” Through his book, he brought fifty of those stories to life, ensuring the people who lived them would not be forgotten or reduced to statistics in the annals of history.
You can learn more about the 50 violins of hope and the stories behind them at https://violinsofhopefw.org/.

Paul Harris Award
In Rotarian Dick Conklin’s family, Rotary is truly a family tradition.  Not only has Dick been a member of the Rotary Club of Fort Wayne since 1985, his wife Deb is a member of the Anthony Wayne Rotary Club, and all three of his daughters were included in Rotary projects, programs, and events—and everyone in the family is a Paul Harris Fellow. Today, Dick presented a Paul Harris Award to son-in-law Joey Leal (daughter Jill’s husband) in honor of Joey earning his Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering Technology.

Rotarians from India

Members from Rotary Clubs in India visited District 6540 during the last couple of weeks. These Rotarians were present for our District Conference May 10-11. They also visited several Rotary Clubs in our district  and learned much about Northeast Indiana. Above, the Rotarians from India traded Rotary flags with our Club last week. 

Rotary Club of Fort Wayne
Timetable for Strategic Planning
June 24 - Member Feedback at Club Meeting 
July 1 - 2019-2020 Club President Overview
July 8 - Present Final Strategic Plan to Club

UPCOMING PROGRAMS: Invite a guest to hear…………..
May 20: Paul Harris Community Service Awards
May 27: NO MEETING IN OBSERVANCE OF MEMORIAL DAY
June 3: Dr Michael Mirro: The Parkview Research Center
June 10: Deb Lambert, CEO, Byron Health Center
June 17: David Buuck: CASS Housing
June 24: Club Assembly: Strategic Plan Report
July 1: Holli Seabury, Club President 2019-2020: State of the Club Address

COMMITTEE MEETINGS
May 13: RYE, 11 am
May 13: Local Service, 11 am
May 28: Board Meeting, 8 am
June 10: Membership, 11 am

ANNOUNCEMENTS…Mark Your Calendar
May 21: Washington School Opera Performance, 5:30 pm
June 20: Annual Celebration Dinner at Baker Street
July 27: Polio Plus 5K Run/Walk
August 29: Rotary at the TinCaps
September 6: Golf Outing at Autumn Ridge Golf Club

Anthony Wayne Club now meets on Wednesday at noon at the Holiday Inn across from the Coliseum
(Paul Shaffer Drive)

You can now access Rotary Files at the Library: http://www.genealogycenter.info/rotaryfortwayne/

PROPOSED NEW MEMBERS:
Julie Zollinger, Director of Business Development, Bona Vita Architecture, Proposed by David Dyer
Christopher Angellatta, COO YMCA, Proposed by Randy Roberts
Maurice Pearl, General Manager, CitiLink, Proposed by Jason Daenens

New Active Members –Look for them
David Dyer, Tonn & Blank Construction
Cathy Hahn, DexYP
Steve Smith, Fort Wayne Medical Surety
Allison Brown, Graly & Guido Law Office
Louise Jackson, Bishop Luers High School
Chris Angellatta, YMCA

New Corporate Representative:
KPC Media: Lisa Esquivel Long, Business Editor, Greater Fort Wayne Weekly
FWCS: Get Nichols, Chief of School Leadership
FWCS: Debra Faye Williams-Robbins, Chief Officer of Student, Family and Community Engagement