Posted by Richard Manelis on Jul 27, 2020
Sally Hilde, Director of The Wayside Inn Foundation.
 
The Wayside property consists of approximately 100 acres and includes The Inn, the Grist Mill, Martha-Mary Chapel, and a variety of buildings and trails (the Innkeeper’s Loop is about 1.5 miles plus those of the Sudbury Valley Trustees)
It first opened in 1716 for lodging and was then; Howes Tavern; then The Red Horse Tavern. It is maintained to show what life was like during our Revolutionary War period.  In 1863, Longfellow arrived and wrote Tales of the Wayside Inn This proved to be incredibly popular and the name was changed to Longfellow’s Wayside Inn.
Sponsors