January 2018 – Grants Approved Total $10,650
1.    2018 SSHS After Prom – Funded $1,000 – The Steamboat Springs After Prom program works to keep our local high school youth safer after their annual high school prom.  These funds will be used to fund some of the entertainment at the After Prom Program.
2.    Booktrails – Funded $1,000 – During the summer, BookTrails operates Reading on Ranches Camp for children grades 1st-8th.  While attending week long sessions, students work to improve reading and writing skills and also exploring ranches and ecosystems.  The grant will support 10 local elementary school students from low-income families that show deficiencies in their reading skills.
3.      Chief Theater – Funded $1,000 – Funding will support the Chief Youth Players and Youth Theater Workshops.  The theater workshops, camps and performances provides more than 75 Yampa Valley students in elementary and middle school, as well as homeschooled children, a chance to study and perform theater in the historic Chief Theater.
4.       Imagination Library-Funded $1,250- The imagination library program will ensure that every child in Routt County, from birth to age five, will have access to the literary resources necessary for maximum reading and language skill development during their critical development years.  The grant will support 50 children that will receive one age-appropriate book each month until they turn five years of age.
5.       Routt County Foundation for Senior Citizens – Funded $2,000 – This is a capital improvement project to replace baseboard heaters in the Aspen View Manor apartment building in Oak Creek.  The existing heaters are inefficient and need updated thermostats to provide a consistent temperature throughout the building and to arrive at a more affordable and economical heat source.
6.        Steamboat Skating Club – Funded $1,000 – The grant will help fund the full theatrical ice show for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory which will have over 100 skaters participate in the program.  The Club has recently been relaunched and formed a partnership with the Boys and Girls Club of Steamboat Springs and taken over the management of the Intro to Skate program from the City of Steamboat Springs.
7.        Steamboat Springs Arts Council’s Young at Art – Funded $1,000 – The Young at Art Creativity Camps are week-long creativity camps focusing on self-expression, communication and creative problem solving.  Last year the camp had 222 students including 27 children receiving full scholarships due to low-income special -needs or at-risk factors.  The funds will be used to provide healthy snacks for many of the children who come without having breakfast or come without any food.
8.         Routt County Middle School Boys Program - The Journey Ahead – Funded $1,000 – This is a grass roots program that targets eighth grade boys in Routt County.  It was developed to assist adolescents in setting goals, making thoughtful choices, expanding their thinking and inspiring them to make a commitment to excellence.  The funds will pay the cost of a professional speaker and facilitators for the day which will reach approximately 150 eight grade boys.
9.         Yampatika – Funded $950 –The request will purchase 13 MSR Shift Snowshoes for kids.  These snowshoes would be used to update and replace existing kid snowshoes used for the school-based Environmental Education programs at Legacy Ranch and other locations around the Yampa Valley.
10.       Youth STEM Event- City of Steamboat Springs Youth & Teen Programs – Funded $450 – The grant will bring the Pearl Observatory, a traveling earth, space and science event to Steamboat Springs bringing 70 kids in the City’s School Days Off Program over Blue’s Break in February 2018.  It is an opportunity for kids to experience STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) education enrichment.  The camp fills the time when children are out of school for Blue’s Break but many parents still need to work.