October 4, 2018 • Steve Moss

Steve Moss, Thompson School District Tech Education Coordinator, and Susan Scott, Thompson School District Business
Coordinator, shared details on the District’s Career Technical Education (CTE) Program.
• CTE is collaboration between TSD and business, with 51% of the Advisory Board being from the business community.
• CTE helps students move into a career pathway early.
• Courses offered include TV Broadcasting, Welding, Architecture, Medical Preparation, Entrepreneurship, Construction, Catering, IT, Fire Science, Teacher Cadet, Geometry/Construction, Robotics, Fashion Design, Criminal Justice, and Engineering
• The program also partners with FRCC in providing classes at Front Range’s Harmony Ft Collins campus where Poudre & Thompson School District students take classes together.
• A CTE Center is being proposed at one of the Thompson District Schools that are being closed – (Stansberry and Van Buren)
• A celebration of Loveland & Berthoud communities Careerwise Apprenticeships kick off is scheduled for October 15, 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. at Desk Chair Workspace. RSVP – bit.ly/lovelandberthoudcwkickoff

For additional information contact Steve Moos at steve.moos@thompsonschools.org or 970-734-4667
or Susan Scott at susan.scott@thompsonschools.org or 970-613-5081

September 27, 2018 • Jessi Colehour

Jessi Colehour, One Community One Family Executive Director, shared information about the organization
• One Community One Family is an offshoot of One Congregation One Family (OCOF) started by Governor Hickenlooper in Denver.
• Goal of the organization are:
   o To end homelessness by assisting families obtain and maintain house.
   o Increase individual self-sufficiency.
   o Re-acclimate individuals back into the community by developing support systems.
• Participant requirement guidelines include:
   o Families with youth 17 or younger.
   o Unaccompanied youth 18-24.
   o Background checks on all adults.
   o At least one adult is a legal US citizen
   o Family or individual is literally homeless having no current residence.
   o Demonstrate a willingness to participate in all aspects of the program.
• Participation includes:
   o Engagement with support team of 2-4 people for individuals and 4-6 people for families.
   o $1,000 support for individuals.
   o $1,500 support for families.
   o Training
   o A background check.
   o Attending one meeting once a month for minimum of 6 months.
• A Liaison supports the team and families connecting them with resources
• Currently, success includes
   o 6 families/6 teams complete
   o 9 adults, 17 children, and 1 unaccompanied adult have been served by the program
   o One Community One Family coordinates with the US government’s Rapid Re-Housing program which is explained by HUD as:

“Rapid re-housing rapidly connects families and individuals experiencing homelessness to permanent housing through a tailored package of assistance that may include the use of timelimited financial assistance and targeted supportive services. Rapid re- housing programs help families and individuals living on the streets or in emergency shelters solve the practical and immediate challenges to obtaining permanent housing while reducing the amount of time they experience homelessness, avoiding a near-term return to homelessness, and linking to
community. Rapid re-housing models were implemented across the country through the Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-housing Program (HPRP), included as part of the
American Reinvestment and Recovery Act (ARRA) of 2009.“

For more information, contact Jessi at jessi.colehour@coloradostate.edu or 370-751-9309.

September 20, 2018 • Amy Franklin

Amy Franklin shared information on her non-profit, Farms for Orphans
• Farms for Orphans provides sustainable nutrition and economic empowerment for orphanages in Western Democratic Republic of Congo.
• Malnutrition is chronic in this area with an impact on a country’s economy
• Farms for Orphans has created insect farming techniques using palm weevil larva that can be replicated and taught to orphanages to create a protein food source and an opportunity to sell their production.
• The larva food source is sugar cane.

July 26, 2018 • Chuck Rutenberg

Chuck Rutenberg shared his goals for District 5440 in the coming year
• Chuck shared that Rotary membership has remained static over the past 5 years at 1.2 million members and RI’s priority is to focus on member expansion. He shared that Clubs are being challenged to be creative and innovative to grow.
• Chuck shared that his District 5440 focus is going to be Literacy
   o Two-thirds of students who cannot read by the 4th grade will end up in jail.
   o One in four students are growing up illiterate.
   o Statistics show that students who don’t read profiently by 3rd grade will drop out of school.
   o 30M US adults cannot read at 5th grade level.
   o Chuck is sponsoring a Literacy Symposium October 6 in Cheyenne, WY.

July 19, 2018 • Norm Rehme

Norm Rehme, the Loveland Club and the President of the Pulliam Building Foundation updated the Club on the
restoration of the Pulliam Building in downtown Loveland.
• The Pulliam Community Center was built in 1938 as a WPA Project with 23,000 gross square footage and
13,000 usable square footage.
• The Pulliam Building has served as Loveland City Hall, a central hub for civic events, and a community building for social events.
   o The Pulliam Foundation building is being renovated in two phases:
     § Phase I -- $2.36M has been raised, working in close coordination with the City of Loveland.
     § Phase 2 -- $5 Million will be required to complete the renovation. $2.5 M is expected to be raised by the Pulliam Foundation with a $2.5M from the City. Co-Chairs of the Foundation
fund raising activities are Pam Osborn, Harry Devereaux, and Doug Rutledge
• For more information, refer to the Pulliam Building Foundation website at http://pulliambuilding.org