August 3, 2017 • Adopt-A-Future Program

Our guests presented the Adopt-A-Future Program, Educating a Generation of Refugee Children, to the Club
• Adopt-A-Future is a joint venture between the United Nations Association, Boulder County Chapter, and the Boulder Valley Rotary Club on behalf of the Hagadera Refugee Camp in Kenya.
• The Hagadera Refugee Camp is part of the Dadaab complex of five (5) refugee camps.
• More than 245,000 refugees live in the Hagadera Camp
• The camp was established in 1991
• 96% of refugees are from Somalia with 50% of the residents being children
• The Adopt-A-Future partnership between the UN Association and Boulder Valley Rotary is focused on building and supplying schools at Hagadera
• UN Association -- $30,000 for infrastructure and classrooms
• Boulder Valley Rotary -- $33,500 for books, school supplies, teaching materials, teacher capacity building, implementation and monitoring.
• Focus of the partnership is creating long-term, sustainable educational capacity in the camp

For more information, please contact:
Tinbet Tintsman, Member of Boulder Valley Rotary Club, Board of Directors at UNA-BC
Contact: tinbet-tinstman@gmail.com, 646-239-4766
Kathy Stutzman, Member of Boulder Valley Rotary Club
Contact: kastutzm@smig.net, 507-219-0912
Susanne Stadlbauer, Adopt-A-Future Fundraising Chair, United Nations Association – Boulder County
Contact: susannesunabc@gmail.com, 720-236-9311

July 20, 2017 • Ralph Trenary and Bill Hutchison

Ralph Trenary and Bill Hutchison, Longs Peak Masonic Lodge, presented background on Freemasonry to the Club:
• Local Lodge is in Campion, CO, with 58 members. Current Lodge includes Loveland and Berthoud Lodges
(merged in 2003).
• Every State had a Grand Lodge. CO’s Grand Lodge is located in CO Springs.
• Foundational motto – Friendship, Morality, and Brotherly Love
• Focus: Meeting and education; pursuit of personal virtue, social events, special events and tradition, Masonic family (appendant bodies)
• Support Shriners’ Hospitals
• Responsible for multiple building cornerstones around Loveland.
• Early Masons were George Washington, President McKinley, FDR, and Teddy Roosevelt.
• The George Washington Masonic Memorial is located in Arlington, VA.

For more information on the CO Freemasonry, visit www.coloradofreemasons.org

July 6, 2017 • Shayna Jones

Shayna Jones, Executive Director of the Big Thompson Watershed Coalition (BTWC) updated the Club on the Coalition’s work.
Mission: To protect and restore the ecological health of the Big Thompson Watershed for the use and enjoyment of our community today and for future generations.
• The BTWC manages 78 miles of the Big Thompson River (map attached).
• The BTWC was founded in 2013, after the 2013 flood, reached official non-profit status, and hired staff in 2015.
• The Coalition is focused on long-term river restoration.
• The Coalition is made up of two staff members with a volunteer Board and partners with federal, state, and local groups.
• Key to the Coalition’s mission is improving reliance of the river’s watershed and stream corridor.
• While stabilizing the river’s channel, they are integrating solutions with a natural flow system that support aquatic life:
• Large tree trunks with roots in place are used as bank stabilization.
• Large rocks/boulders are being put in place to manage river flow and dissipate flow energy by creating pools.
• Flow-plane benches are being created to broaden river flow and dissipate flow energy.
• Native plants are being incorporated to create bank stability against erosion and create a natural habitat for aquatic life.
• A major theme of the work is to “listen to the River” rather than force it into false channels.
• Funding is provided through multiple sources – Individual donations, US Housing & Urban Development Disaster Recovery Program, County Wildlife & Parks Commissions.
• An effort is made to coordinate with homeowners along the River to provide state-of-the-art engineering solutions.
• Lindsay reported that planting work was done near the River behind Sweetheart City Winery.
• Shayna reported that the Coalition is always looking for information relative to areas that need attention.   
While a master plan was done at the Coalition’s outset, it is ever changing in response to the dynamic nature of the River.
• A tour of the BTWC work is being scheduled for later this year.
• The BTWC Board meets the third Wednesday of each month at the CDOT building: 2207 Hwy. 402 Loveland CO, 4-6 pm.
• Participation in BTWC is encouraged through donations and becoming active volunteers.
• More information is available at http://www.bigthompson.co

June 22, 2017 • Norm Rehme and Lu Ball

Norm Rehme and Lu Ball updated the Club on the Pulliam Building renovation in downtown Loveland
•    Renovation of the Pulliam Building is a partnership with the City of Loveland
•    The Pulliam Community Building Foundation, with the goal of renovating the Pulliam Community Building, was founded in 2010
•    From the Pulliam Building website – “Pulliam wanted to give Loveland a meeting place ‘solely for community purposes.’ In 1936, he and his wife, Lillian, donated the land and $20,000 to build the Pulliam. The 20,000-square-foot building was built by 100 workers paid by the Works Progress Administration, a Federal jobs program.”
• The building was dedicated in 1938 and became the center of Loveland’s social scene hosting stage productions, dances (Wigwam), etc.
• Updates include removing permanent seating from the first floor, elevators installed, air conditioning installed, and bathroom updates to be ADA compliant
• Remodel – paint, lighting, sound, design
• Renovate – elevator, cooling, safety
• Restore – respect the historical icon the building is
• Repurpose – expand building use as multi-purpose
Phase I
• Pulliam Building Foundation - $500K
• City of Loveland - $1.5M
Phase II
• Pulliam Foundation - $2.5M
• City of Loveland - $2.5M
• More information is available at www.pulliambuilding.org

May 25, 2017 • Ben Barnhart

BenBen Barnhart, Director of Community Relations for Larimer County Humane Society, updated the Club on the new-state-of-the-art Larimer County Animal Shelter scheduled to open Labor Day Weekend, 2017
  • The new facility will be the largest animal shelter in Northern CO and has an open admission policy for all animals.
  • The new facility will be located at Hwy 30 and I-25, north of the Regional Airport
  • Their live release rate qualifies the Shelter to be a “No-Kill Shelter.”
  • It is expected that the new facility will increase the ability to house 60% more dogs and 100% more cats than the current facility offers.
  • The fund raising for the new Shelter’s private capital fund of $2.5M has only $11,000 outstanding to meet he $2.5M goal.
  • At 39,000 square feet, the new Shelter has three times the square footage of the current facility.
  • 6,000 animals process through the current Shelter annually.
  • Plans are developed to include the Shelter as part of the County Disaster Plan to be sure that animal protection is prioritized in the event of disastrous events.
  • Education is an important goal for the Shelter – CSU Vet Students and, within the new facility, CSU dental students.
  • The new facility will include a Community Room available for meetings, classes, and humane education.
  • The Shelter currently holds “Critter Camps,” weeklong programs focused on animal care.These camps are expected to double with the new facility.
  • Dog parks will be maintained and expanded at the new facility.
  • Upgraded HVAC will be impactful relative to disease control and cost efficiency with individual HVAC zones.
  • It is expected that the larger facility will be available to house an increased number of transfers from other shelters, including out-of-state shelters.
  • The facility was built with a focus on the future and expansion of state-of-the-art animal care.

More information regarding Larimer County Humane Society and the new facility is available at larimercounty.org
Ben’s contact information is – 9970-530-2960 •  bbarnhart@larimerhumane.org

May 18, 2017 • Marilyn Hilgenberg

• Marilyn Hilgenberg, Loveland Open Lands & Trails Manager shared an overview of the current Loveland land and trails and future plans.
• A lands and trails master plan was created in 2014.
• Currently, the City owns 8,191 preserved acres.
• The City has purchased 15 open land sites in the last 2.5 years.
• The Rivers Edge Natural Area (First Street and Taft) is made up of 165 acres of open land, 4 miles of hiking trails, and fishing access.
• The current Loveland trail loop includes 18.5 miles of hiking trails.
• Marilyn highlighted the following areas:
• Project Outdoors
• Most recent acquisition is E. First Street, next to Boys and Girls Club.
• Looking for grants to complete it.
• “Get kids from backyards to back country” is its foundational purpose.
• Sunset Vista – 57th & Taft
• Trails are planned.
• Skyline Natural Area
• Runs parallel to Devil’s Back Bone.
• Connecting trails are planned.
• Ryan’s Gulch II
• Is located in South Loveland.
• Will allow for connecting trails to connect with Berthoud trails
• Oxbow Natural Area at Rossum Drive and the Big Thompson
• Will eventually connect to the City loop trail.
• Mariana Butte Trail
• Trail has been extended to include a trail to the top of the Butte and will eventually connect to the Oxbow Area.
• Volunteers are needed to assist in the areas of:
• Education Programming and Community Outreach
• Environmental Education
• Trail Development
• Stewardship Projects
• Open Lands Advisory Committee
• The Loveland Open Lands and Trails team cooperates with a broad range of corporate and no-profit partners.
• The Loveland Lands and Trails budget is funded by Larimer County funding and CO lottery dollars.
• Additional information is available on the City of Loveland’s website at http://www.ci.loveland.co.us/departments/parks-recreation/open-lands-natural-areas
• Marilyn’s full presentation and a map of the Loveland trail system are attached.

April 27, 2017 • Carl Tintsman

Carl Tintsman, a member of the Boulder Rotary Club, presented an update on Global Polio eradication though Rotary.
• Vaccination is done orally or through injection
• There are three types of polio
• Type 1
• Type 2 – fully eradicated
• Type 3 – felt to be eradicated.   
• Vaccination was started in 1950
• Polio Plus was launched by Rotary International in 1985 with the goal to eradicate polio across the globe
• Partners in the goal now include World Health Organization, UNICEF, CDC, and the Gates Foundation
• In 1985, 350,000 new cases of polio was reported.  In 2000, 1,000-2,000 new cases was reported
• Smallpox is the only disease that has been fully eradicated to date
• As of 2015, new cases were only reported in Afghanistan and Pakistan.  The last new case reported in Nigeria was 2014.
• Rotary has committed $1.4B to continue the fight against polio

April 20, 2017 • Sandi Brown

Sandi Brown, Head of School of the Colorado Early Colleges (CEC) in Ft Collins shared information regarding the schools with the Club

Mission:  Each student, regardless of background or skill level, will have the opportunity to pursue a growth mindset that will allow them to achieve mastery and will demonstrate that they can succeed in school, in college, and their chosen career.   No exceptions. No excuses.

Belief:  All students can earn an Associates degree and/or Career and Technical Education certifications while in high school; this preparation begins in middle school, if not earlier.

• The schools (middle and high school) are focused on making every student workforce ready, with a drive to “being valuable.”
• Caret advisors participate with students and parents every semester
• 68% of CEC high school students earn Associates Degrees, while some choose a more technical career focus; i.e., EMT Certification
• The schools are located near Harmony & Lemay in Ft. Collins
• A new high school Is being developed which is 93,000 square feet (previously an HP building)
• All courses are skill-based and students can test out of courses
• The high school was started in 2012 with 200 students, and currently enrolls 1,100 students
• The middle school was started in 2015
• A full tutoring center is maintained at both schools
• Student teacher ratio is 1/24
• No sports programs are maintained on campus
• Teachers are mostly Masters and Ph.D.’s who are degreed in the areas they are teaching
• The schools maintain 89 full and part-time staff
• Students can combine home schooling and part time attendance at the CEC
• The schools are funded through the Pouder School System.  $4,200 of the $7,000 per student receive by the CEC is given back to the student in the form of education vouchers.

More information regard CEC can be found at their website and the attached document fortcollins.coloradoearlycolleges.org

April 6, 2917 • Harry Love

• Harry Love from VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) was our speaker.
• VITA has 25 volunteers that prepare tax returns for low-income individuals in Larimer County.  
• The average return indicates ~$25,000 for those that VITA prepares.  
• Randy T was a VITA volunteer at one time.
• Harry explained that VITA helps to relieve the stress of tax preparation for low-income people through its relationship with The Community Impact Partnership.
• VITA prepared 4,000 returns in 2014, out of approximately 200,000 returns for Larimer County.
• One of the goals of VITA and The Community Impact Partnership is to help working families to achieve stability.  The Partnership hopes to reduce poverty in Larimer County from 14% to 7%.
• VITA receives its funding from the Partnership.  Funding last year was approximately $11,000.  Funds are used for printers, scanners and laptops used in income tax preparation.
• T.J. asked how the Affordable Care Act Health requirements were being handled and Harry responded that this could possibly lead to many IRS notices since it was such an unsettled subject.
• Jane agreed to donate a new printer to VITA.

•