March 21, 2019

Dr.      Betsy Cairo shared with the Club her research and work regarding reproductive health through her non-profit organization, Look Both Ways.Ways. 

Look Both Ways Mission from their website:

“Our Mission is to improve the lives of youth by imparting the knowledge and skills necessary to make informed decisions about their reproductive health. We aim to inspire educators, empower youth, and promote diversity by providing comprehensive reproductive health curriculum, resources, and training to schools, educators and community groups.”

• Look Both Way’s goal is to get updated and contemporary reproductive health education into the high schools, educating teachers, students, and parents.
  • Dr. Cairo shared information, including:
    • Leading cause of death of 18-24-year old's  is suicide.
    • Sexual Minority refers to sexual orientation a person is attracted to – heterosexual, Homosexual, Pansexual, A-Sexual, Bisexual.
    • Adolescence development is 5 stage.
    • Puberty becomes a biological, emotional, hormonal roller coaster for teens.
  • Colorado Legislature is considering House Bill 1032 which would provide inclusive sex education, not just abstinence education.
  • Dr. Cairo goal is to provide services which include:
    • Inclusive reproductive health education curriculum and consulting
    • Guest lecturing
    • Parent education
    • Youth services
  • Dr. Cairo provides her services to reduce bullying, suicide, and risk of pregnancy in teens.
  • More information Look Both Ways can be found in the attached flyer.
  • Dr. Cairo can be reached at www.lkbthwys.org

March 7, 2019 • Gail Yant

Gail Yant provided an overview of the Thompson Valley Preschool. Located on E 16th Street, Loveland
From their website:
• “Thompson Valley Preschool is a nonprofit organization, having served the Loveland area since 1973, by providing affordable access to a high-quality early childhood educational program for School
Readiness. The preschool is unique as it is educationally focused and gives all children the opportunity for participation through sliding scale tuition and scholarships.
• Vision -- To empower all children to become lifelong learners by providing access to a quality preschool program that supports school readiness.
• Mission -- Thompson Valley Preschool builds the foundation for a child's school success and lifelong learning by offering affordable access to quality educational experiences.
• Goals
o To provide the finest preschool experience available for children 3 to 5 years old
o To provide a safe, consistent, and enriched environment where children will feel a sense of excitement about learning and discovery
o To see each child as a unique individual with special qualities and needs
o To listen and reach out to all of our families”
• School enrollment is 88 students/year
• Tuition is income based on a sliding scale, parental work assistance at the school is credited against tuition costs, and scholarships are available. 42% of children aged 3-5 in Thompson School District are in homes `
classified as “low income.”

February 21, 2019

Ashley Prow, B&G Club Area Manager, and Jake Anderson, Unit Director of Loveland-Pulliam B&G Club provided an overview of the Larimer County Boys & Girl’s Club and it’s Loveland-Pulliam Unit. Below
points are from the Boys & Girls Club of Larimer County’s website.
• Background --- “Boys & Girls Clubs of Larimer County (BGLC opened its door in 1986 as a sole teen center located in Ft Collins, and has dramatically expanded its operations to meet the growing
needs of Larimer County. In 1989, it became affiliated with Boys & Girls Clubs of America and officially became the Boys & Girls Clubs of Larimer County. This same year, the Wellington Club
was opened.
In 1996, a Loveland teen center merged with the Boys & Girls Clubs of Larimer County. At the BGCLC, we provide a safe environment that helps young people reach their full potential. We are
available during the week when kids are least supervised and most vulnerable – the after-school hours during the school year, all day-during the summer and school out days.
From 1999 to 2009, the organization successfully completed two capital campaigns to build permanent Clubs in Ft Collins (opened in 2001) and Loveland (opened in 2009), doubling the
number of youth served in each of the Units.
Boys & Girls Club of Larimer County is the only comprehensive, facility based, after school and school-break program. In Larimer County that includes meals, program enrichment for positive
youth development, and mentoring for only $20 a year.
At the Clubs, youth learn to work and play together. They are given structure and responsibility. They participate in activities and programs that are so entertaining they often don’t realize that
they are learning principles and ethics! Their attitudes change, they become more confident, develop character, and learn why it is important to get an education. They are also motivated to
avoid alcohol, drugs, tobacco, and early sexual experimentation.
In such an environment, youth can discover how to see beyond the walls of their current situation and realize they can succeed. They are becoming better people and better members of the
community – our future citizens, our future labor force, and our future leaders. They are learning to be great!”
• Mission – “To enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring responsible citizens.”

October 4, 2018 • Steve Moss

Steve Moss, Thompson School District Tech Education Coordinator, and Susan Scott, Thompson School District Business
Coordinator, shared details on the District’s Career Technical Education (CTE) Program.
• CTE is collaboration between TSD and business, with 51% of the Advisory Board being from the business community.
• CTE helps students move into a career pathway early.
• Courses offered include TV Broadcasting, Welding, Architecture, Medical Preparation, Entrepreneurship, Construction, Catering, IT, Fire Science, Teacher Cadet, Geometry/Construction, Robotics, Fashion Design, Criminal Justice, and Engineering
• The program also partners with FRCC in providing classes at Front Range’s Harmony Ft Collins campus where Poudre & Thompson School District students take classes together.
• A CTE Center is being proposed at one of the Thompson District Schools that are being closed – (Stansberry and Van Buren)
• A celebration of Loveland & Berthoud communities Careerwise Apprenticeships kick off is scheduled for October 15, 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. at Desk Chair Workspace. RSVP – bit.ly/lovelandberthoudcwkickoff

For additional information contact Steve Moos at steve.moos@thompsonschools.org or 970-734-4667
or Susan Scott at susan.scott@thompsonschools.org or 970-613-5081

September 27, 2018 • Jessi Colehour

Jessi Colehour, One Community One Family Executive Director, shared information about the organization
• One Community One Family is an offshoot of One Congregation One Family (OCOF) started by Governor Hickenlooper in Denver.
• Goal of the organization are:
   o To end homelessness by assisting families obtain and maintain house.
   o Increase individual self-sufficiency.
   o Re-acclimate individuals back into the community by developing support systems.
• Participant requirement guidelines include:
   o Families with youth 17 or younger.
   o Unaccompanied youth 18-24.
   o Background checks on all adults.
   o At least one adult is a legal US citizen
   o Family or individual is literally homeless having no current residence.
   o Demonstrate a willingness to participate in all aspects of the program.
• Participation includes:
   o Engagement with support team of 2-4 people for individuals and 4-6 people for families.
   o $1,000 support for individuals.
   o $1,500 support for families.
   o Training
   o A background check.
   o Attending one meeting once a month for minimum of 6 months.
• A Liaison supports the team and families connecting them with resources
• Currently, success includes
   o 6 families/6 teams complete
   o 9 adults, 17 children, and 1 unaccompanied adult have been served by the program
   o One Community One Family coordinates with the US government’s Rapid Re-Housing program which is explained by HUD as:

“Rapid re-housing rapidly connects families and individuals experiencing homelessness to permanent housing through a tailored package of assistance that may include the use of timelimited financial assistance and targeted supportive services. Rapid re- housing programs help families and individuals living on the streets or in emergency shelters solve the practical and immediate challenges to obtaining permanent housing while reducing the amount of time they experience homelessness, avoiding a near-term return to homelessness, and linking to
community. Rapid re-housing models were implemented across the country through the Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-housing Program (HPRP), included as part of the
American Reinvestment and Recovery Act (ARRA) of 2009.“

For more information, contact Jessi at jessi.colehour@coloradostate.edu or 370-751-9309.

September 20, 2018 • Amy Franklin

Amy Franklin shared information on her non-profit, Farms for Orphans
• Farms for Orphans provides sustainable nutrition and economic empowerment for orphanages in Western Democratic Republic of Congo.
• Malnutrition is chronic in this area with an impact on a country’s economy
• Farms for Orphans has created insect farming techniques using palm weevil larva that can be replicated and taught to orphanages to create a protein food source and an opportunity to sell their production.
• The larva food source is sugar cane.

July 26, 2018 • Chuck Rutenberg

Chuck Rutenberg shared his goals for District 5440 in the coming year
• Chuck shared that Rotary membership has remained static over the past 5 years at 1.2 million members and RI’s priority is to focus on member expansion. He shared that Clubs are being challenged to be creative and innovative to grow.
• Chuck shared that his District 5440 focus is going to be Literacy
   o Two-thirds of students who cannot read by the 4th grade will end up in jail.
   o One in four students are growing up illiterate.
   o Statistics show that students who don’t read profiently by 3rd grade will drop out of school.
   o 30M US adults cannot read at 5th grade level.
   o Chuck is sponsoring a Literacy Symposium October 6 in Cheyenne, WY.

July 19, 2018 • Norm Rehme

Norm Rehme, the Loveland Club and the President of the Pulliam Building Foundation updated the Club on the
restoration of the Pulliam Building in downtown Loveland.
• The Pulliam Community Center was built in 1938 as a WPA Project with 23,000 gross square footage and
13,000 usable square footage.
• The Pulliam Building has served as Loveland City Hall, a central hub for civic events, and a community building for social events.
   o The Pulliam Foundation building is being renovated in two phases:
     § Phase I -- $2.36M has been raised, working in close coordination with the City of Loveland.
     § Phase 2 -- $5 Million will be required to complete the renovation. $2.5 M is expected to be raised by the Pulliam Foundation with a $2.5M from the City. Co-Chairs of the Foundation
fund raising activities are Pam Osborn, Harry Devereaux, and Doug Rutledge
• For more information, refer to the Pulliam Building Foundation website at http://pulliambuilding.org