The Rotary Club of St. George, sponsored by the Rotary Club of Hamilton, received its Charter on 18th June 1951. Its Charter Night was held on 29th June 1951 at the White Horse Tavern in the Towne of St. George.The Charter Officers were: Stewart Spurling, President; Roy Taylor, Vice-President; W.E. Lockhurst, Treasurer; Jim Pitcher, Secretary; Albert Ball, Sergeant at Arms. Also present District Governor H. Wood and 23 charter members.

The moving spirit in getting the club started was Sir Stanley Spurling who was also a St. Georgian, Rotary District Governor 1940-'41 and a Director of Rotary International 1952-'53.

Mr. Percy Ashton was President of the Hamilton Club when the St. George Club received its Charter.  The Honourable Sir Dudley Spurling was President of the Hamilton Club 1951-'52 whilst his brother was the first President of the St. George Rotary Club 1951-'52. St. George and Hamilton parishes were operational areas when the Club first started, but on 20th February 1973 it was agreed that the Club could also draw members from Smith's Parish.

 

The Club has held its meeting in a number of different locations within the eastern parishes of Bermuda, including, among others, the St. George Hotel, The Airport, Gunpowder Cavern, the Castle Harbour Hotel, the White Horse Tavern, Ariel Sands, Swizzle Inn, The Pub on the Square, the St. George's Club, Mulligan's Restaurant,The George & The Dragon Pub and now meets at The Grotto Bay Beach Hotel.