The Rotary Club of Chilliwack with its partners has been successful in receiving a Global Grant of $ 195,000 USD to establish a network of school libraries in northwestern Peru and provide training to librarians in library administration and training to teachers in the use of the libraries to foster literacy and lifelong learning. Thank you PE Karen Stanton.  To read more CLICK HERE

The Rotary Club of Chilliwack, Rotary Club of Castilla, District 5050, TRF Canada and TRF are partnering to fund and implement a network of 10 school libraries in 8 communities in Northern Peru. 
The purpose of the project is to improve and increase literacy amongst children and adults (parents and other family members supporting students); to improve the educational experience and comprehension skills of students; and to cultivate a lifelong interest in reading and investigation in students and their families.

This project builds on the experience of both clubs who undertook a similar project in 2018-2019 to implement a school library and provide teacher/librarian training in Tambogrande,  Peru.  
To apply for the funding, the Rotary Club of Castilla produced an extensive project report and community assessments  that illustrate low literacy rates are present locally and nationally in Peru, placing students at a significant disadvantage to succeed in education and in life. Whereas there are spaces in educational institutions where a library could be implemented, there is no national funding to support this.

With the provision of a collection, furnishings, and equipment, and teacher training by a librarian, students will benefit through their studies, and a love of reading will be fostered, setting students up for educational success. Gender equity is a focus of the project, and activities have been designed to help students explore this theme.

In the 8 communities that have been chosen for this project, there is a high level of "machismo" and family violence, which are linked to a patriarchal culture. The project proposes to establish school libraries that will become spaces for dialogue, reflection, and culture, in additional to serving as learning centres.

Each school meets the following criteria: (1) students in a state of poverty, social risk and exclusion; (2) teachers who are committed to the educational institution; (3) conviction of the administration, parents, teachers of the benefits of reading and learning, culture, and personal development of future citizens; (4) infrastructure is in place - a room greater than 50 sq. m. for a future school library; (5) located in peripheral zones of the region; (6) access and transport is available to distribute goods, install them and monitor them; (7) school safety - perimeter fence

The project involves
  • Use of built infrastructure available in public educational institutions.
  • A model school library that meets National standards
  • The purchase of 15,000 books (fictional and reference) from local suppliers and computer equipment
  • Organization and creation of communication channels with the Association of Parents, Administration, and teachers
  • Training of library managers on technical processes required to organize and manage the book collection
  • Training of 150 teachers in reading strategies, activities and mediation
  • Logistics, control and registration of goods that will be part of the school libraries in the future will become public property. 
  • Financial sustainability – ongoing funding from Peruvian government for library staff and agreements between the Rotary Club of Castilla and each of the schools regarding replacement of books that have been damaged or lost.