Posted by Aaron Masliansky on Feb 29, 2024

Rotopep Vol. 104 No. 34

Rotary Club of Evanston

February 29, 2024

Program: No Regular Program Meeting This Week

(Special Note:  We will publish the Zoom link in every Rotopep, even where there will not be a meeting.  That should make it easier to find when members are looking for our Zoom link. Please try to remember that a Zoom Link will not automatically mean that there is a meeting that week)

Meeting Location or Virtual Login details:

This will be the same meeting login for all club meetings every week including happy hour and fireside chat.

Weekly Rotary Club of Evanston Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/896382967?pwd=RE9wRkpxTUxjUTdVTFB4RWt2bXduUT09

You can also join the meeting manually from your Zoom App or from zoom.us, using the meeting number and password below.

Meeting ID: 896 382 967

Password: Rotary2372

JOINING THE MEETING USING A PHONE

Dial: +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

Enter Meeting ID: 896 382 967#

Participant Number: (no participant number, so just push the # key)

Enter Password: 941281#

One-tap for smart-phone users:

+13126266799,, 896382967#,,,,0#,,941281# (US Chicago)

Visitors: Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kbBefTII7W

Meeting  22 February 2024
Called to order at 12:20
Location: Evanston Public Library, Main Branch

Scribe: Aaron Masliansky

Visiting Rotarians, Rotaractors and Guests

Bryant Wallace, Linda Chao- Evanston Lighthouse Club
Dugagjin Sokoli, Rotary Club Prishtina International (Kosovo)

Guest: Tracy Fulce, Evanston Public Library Board President- Shawn's guest

Katy, Bryan’s guest

Inspiration: John Robertson gave inspiration with several quotes from US Presidents.

Program: Yolande Wilburn, New Director, Evanston Public Library

Yolande gave a presentation about her background which included growing up in Chicago, with moves to California and Dubai. After starting her career in public relations for a waste management company, she got involved with Rotary as part of that job. She learned how valuable libraries are, and got a masters degree in library science. She worked at the Chicago Public Libraries, University of Chicago, back to CPL, and then onto several positions at libraries throughout California. She recently started as the Executive Director at the Evanston Public Library. 

Yolande has big plans for the Evanston Public Library. This includes preparing a master plan for the library, looking at shifting things around within the main library, perhaps creating an event space that can generate revenue, and providing space to the Shorefront Legacy Center on the Third Floor, along with many other exciting changes to enhance the library, and strengthen its economic viability. 

Sergeant in Arms: Due to time constraints, sergeant in arms was skipped. There were no orchids and onions.

Announcements: 

Pub night at Ridgeville Tavern on Tuesday 3/5 4:30-6:30

Dugagjin Sokoli, the visiting President of the Rotary Club Prishtina International (Kosovo) gave an announcement. 

I am writing to introduce the RCPI Scholarship Project, an initiative by the Rotary Club Prishtina International dedicated to expanding educational opportunities for underprivileged girls in rural Kosovo. Since its inception in 2012, this project has transformed the lives of 100 girls across 25 municipalities, breaking the cycle of poverty and enabling them to build a brighter future.

Our goal is to further expand this effort, aiming to increase the number of beneficiaries by 50%, enhance the support provided, and establish a sustainability fund for continuous assistance. Achieving these objectives requires collaboration and support from individuals and organizations passionate about making a difference.

I have attached a detailed project proposal for your consideration. This document outlines our mission, achievements so far, the need for further support, and how we plan to achieve our ambitious goals. I believe that with your support, we can extend our impact and empower more girls to realize their potential through education.

I am keen to discuss this project further and explore how we can collaborate to make a tangible difference in the lives of these deserving girls.

Thank you for considering this partnership. I look forward to the possibility of working together to advance this noble cause.

Announcements:

Feb. 24: Soup for Scholarships. 

The Northwestern Rotaract is seeking Rotarians to host local community dinners for Rotaract students. Here, you have the unique opportunity to be a trusted adult for Rotaract Students. Having a trusted adult is the single biggest protective factor for youth transitioning to college. In fact, college students with a trusted adult demonstrate higher levels of connectivity, engage in less risky behavior, and have increased levels of overall well-being. Students with a trusted adult are also less likely to drop out of college, misuse substances, and die by suicide. You can make this difference for students.

The Northwestern Rotaract Club is seeking Rotarians to host at-home dinners for 3-4 students at a time. At these dinners, you will make lasting connections with bright, engaged students. If you are interested, please email aimee.r.resnick@gmail.com to schedule an evening. You can be reimbursed for hosting costs. Dinners will be offered from October - June.

Please Sign Up for Campus Kitchen and Meals on Wheels:

Please check out our Signup Genius for available opportunities over the next few months, since we update this schedule routinely:

https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0f4babad2da1ffc70-delivering#/

We have changed our delivery of food to the senior citizens living in the Noyes apartment buildings from Wednesday evenings to Saturday mornings.  Please consider signing up for one or more opportunities to serve our community! 

Rotary Voices Podcast

Rotary International has recently launched a new podcast featuring stories from the Rotary Magazine and Rotary Voices Blog. Check it out here, or wherever you get your podcasts. 

A reminder to make your sergeant-at-arms contributions to the Charitable Fund to help our club continue its good work in the community. Donate here: https://evanston-rotary-charity.square.site/

The Rotary Foundation recently received its 14th consecutive four-star rating from Charity Navigator, placing it among the top 1% of charities in the US. Make an impact at home and around the world with a donation to The Rotary Foundation: https://rotary.org/en/donate

Note: Donations to The Rotary Foundation generate recognition points towards Paul Harris Fellow recognition

Little Library:  Don't forget you can donate your used books to our Little Library at the Friendship Garden!