image
A career in dentistry brought Terry Hicks to Haliburton, and a desire for more owledge in the field led him back to university and on to a distinguished career in the field of public health dentistry. Terry Hicks was born in Carnarvon in 1935. He attended the University of Toronto, where he earned a Doctor of Dental Surgery degree. In 1960 he established a dental practice in Haliburton. He joined Haliburton Rotary in September of that year, and in 1966, was elected president of the club. A highlight of his year in office was the purchase of the Reid House to house a community museum. The house was built about 1885 by John R. Reid, an English immigrant to the Highlands. He was the village's policeman for many years and operated a wood working and cabinet-making shop until his death in 1920, at the age of 67. The Rotary club paid $5000 for the house and property, completing the purchase in March, 1967. When the club later spearheaded construction of a new and bigger muse-um at Glebe Park, the Reid house was relocated to the site and reopened with period furnishings. Dr. Hicks remembers his time in Haliburton Rotary as an opportunity to develop his public speaking skills and enjoy the friendship of other Rotarians. He left the club in June, 1968 and the community in 1970 to pursue certification in public health dentistry at the University of Toronto. He went on to become senior dental consultant for the Province of British Columbia, Ontario Dental Director, president of the Ontario Society of Public Health Dentists and president of the Ontario Council on Community Health Accreditation, and chairman of two ministry of health committees on dental issues. He is married to Wendy Lee Mary and they have four children: Janet. Terrance, Amy- Jo, and Jason. He lives near Elmvale, Ontario, where he enjoys gardening, travel, silviculture and renovating.