image
While Rotary has been an important avenue of community service for all of the men who have held its presidency, an impressive number of them have filled other important offices and contributed to community life in varied and creative ways. Gerry Dawson is an exemplar of the kind of quiet, competent, principled leadership to which Rotarians aspire. In 35 years of membership in Haliburton Rotary, he has done much to make Haliburton a better community, and the club a respected organization within it. Gerry Dawson was born in Stanhope Township in 1933. He became a chartered accountant in 1956, and in 1959, returned to Haliburton from Toronto to start his own accounting practice, today known as Dawson Gray Chartered Accountants. He joined Haliburton Rotary on September 24, 1959, and assumed the presidency of the club in 1962-63. During his year in office, the club finalized development plans for Sam Slick Park across from the high school. A highlight of the year was the unveiling, on September 30, 1962 by Premier Leslie Frost, of a plaque erected by the Ontario Archeological and Historic Sites Board to commemorate the founding of Haliburton. In subsequent years, including the present one in which the club marks its 50th anniversary, Gerry Dawson took on many important responsibilities. He was chairman of the Haliburton Pioneer Museum Building Committee, a group which successfully planned and built a new museum at Glebe Park to house the community's trove of historical artifacts. Rotary was a major contributor to the building, which was officially opened on June 29, 1980 by the Honourable Pauline McGibbon, Lieutenant Governor of Ontario. In 1984, Gerry Dawson chaired the committee which organized the club's 40th anniversary celebrations, and he has taken on that responsibility once again for this year's 50th anniversary festivities. For many years he has also taken a leading role in organizing the summer carnival parade, one of the highlights of the community's summer. His other contributions to the community have been no less noteworthy. He was a founding member and treasurer of the Haliburton County Association for Community Living, the first rural association in Ontario to assist mentally handicapped people. He was secretary of the Haliburton Curling Club for many years, served as warden of St. George's Anglican Church for five years, and for six years was a member of the discipline committee of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario. Gerry Dawson received the Fred Jones memorial award as Rotarian of the year for 1988-89, and became a Paul Harris Fellow in 1989. Gerry and his wife Barbara have two sons, Stephen and Jeffrey.