Past District Governor Dawn Straka Visits the club


President Brad Filman opened the meeting, giving a toast to Canada, Rotary International, France & Brazil and Mexico. Our guests for this evening were YE student Alicia, PDG Dawn Straka and partner George.

Ruth Kuchinad won the 50/50 and Tony Davidson posed the fine questions.

Sorry we missed you: Girv Devitt, Lorne Kelsey, John Taylor, Reg Downs, Sue Davidson, and Bob Fawcett and Dave Tilley.

Alicia reported that she is now in contact with her new host family in Mexico.

The Youth exchange program still needs a driver to ferry students to Orillia for their Ottawa weekend.


Dawn Straka, Past DG, spoke to us about the Rotary Foundation work of District 7010.  Dawn is also active with the Wheelchair Foundation.  Dawn described the work that she is doing in Haiti and the situation there. 

Along with our club, the Rotary Clubs from Barrie, Chapleau, Gore Bay, Huntsville, Jacmel, Lindsay, Peterborough and Peterborough-Kawartha are actually assisting with a computer lab at this school in Jacmel.   

The other project that is part of Dawn’s concern is the orphanage in the village of Marbial.  They need books, other learning materials, bed sheets and 2 laptops.  Dawn hopes to generate two projects worth $42 -$47,000. 

President’s Business

President Brad received an invitation from Sick Kids regarding a play as a fund-raiser.  He also received a thank-you card from Margaret Currie.

Tuesday, June 12th is the Tri-club meeting at Trent Athletic Centre with 2 former Olympic athletes.  Everyone and partners are invited

Don Thornton spoke about the Foundation dinner on June 4th at the Gallery on the Lake in terms of needing items for the silent auction.  Please approach vendors for donations for this event.

Ruth Kuchinad advised about new fund-raising ideas.  So far there are two ideas on the table.  The Garden Tour (Lorne)  and the Geocaching + Musical Dinner (Ruth).

Ruth handed out the new brochure for the BEL Rotary Bridgenorth Trail and indicated that Sat., June 2nd is International Trails Day.  We will provide snacks and fruit at the Hilliard St. Trailhead and have help from one of the cycling clubs in the area.  They propose to serve lemonade. This event is from 10am – 2 pm. 

Ruth also indicated there is a letter from the Voices of the Trent urging everyone to contact their MP regarding the funding reduction for the Waterway.  She will circulate next week.


President Brad indicated the Board had chosen July 14th as the Toll date, Tony has the buckets and Ruth will get more cards printed.

There will be no meeting on Monday, May 21st.  But for the Trail and Causeway cleanup, we will meet at the Hilliard end of the Trail at 5pm and then go to the Causeway for 5:30 to do cleanup there.

Incoming Prez Ruth indicated that she would invite the club to the Old Mill Restaurant in Young’s Point for the changeover of responsibility to the new Board.  This will happen on Monday, June 25th.  Ruth will confirm details with the owner.

President Brad closed the meeting promptly and wished everyone a safe ride home.


May 14            6:30 pm                       Dave Tilley

May 21            No Meeting                  Happy Victoria Day                

May 28            5pm                             Hilliard St, Bridgenorth Trail Cleanup

                       5:30pm                        Rotary Park, Ennismore, Causeway Clean-up

June 2             10-2                             International Trails Day, Bridgenorth Trail

June 4             6pm                             International Dinner, Gallery on the Lake

June 12(Tues)  6pm                             Tri Club Meeting, Trent Athletic Centre