Lewisville Morning Rotary and San Pedro Curridabat Rotary to build Mobile Dental Clinic

The Lewisville Morning Rotary and Rotary Club of San Pedro Curridabat are directing this effort to provide dental services to communities in Costa Rica. The three ton, 320 square-foot steel containers are typical of those seen in shipping yards except, for being transformed into a mobile solar-powered dental clinic by using two containers that are joined by a common roof and interstitial floor space to create an 823 square foot dental clinic. The inside, fitted with wall paneling and flooring, three dental chairs, an office, a reception, and waiting area, and restrooms. 

Our clubs have submitted a $55,000 Global Grant request to The Rotary Foundation to purchase and install equipment  for three dental chairs, an office, a reception, and waiting area, and restrooms. Currently, we need an additional $25,000 in pledges to complete the processing of the grant. Clubs can pledge to this project at MatchingGrants.org by clicking here.
Donations were made from the following Rotary Clubs: Arlington Great Southwest, Mineral Wells, and Southlake. Help us reach our goal, we need $25,000.00    A private donor in Costa Rica already pledged $35,000 to transformed two shipping containers.  The property, including water and power services, in Tirasses also, has already been donated.  Curridabat Government/Municipality has agreed to fund the clinic payroll.  The University of Costa Rica and Meharry Medical College will train and support dental assistants and dental hygienists.  Architecture Viviana Moya has completed the blueprint.  Clinica Dental Loma Verde (San Jose, CR), Siebert Family Dental (Highland Village, TX), and a host of volunteer dentists have committed to provide their professional services.  We still need to raise $25,000.00 more. 

ROTARY’S GLOBAL GRANT 
Will address the dental needs of families in the Tirasses Community through:  Affordable and easy access to dental care, oral health, and preventive education.  

Establishing links between local schools and community organizations to educate students and residents about the importance of oral health and hygiene.  

Training and supporting dental assistants and dental hygienists, who will work alongside both local and international dentists. 

Forging a student exchange program between Meharry Medical School of Dentistry in Nashville, TN, and the University of Costa Rica, in San Jose, Costa Rica that will offer study abroad opportunities for graduate student residencies. 

To accomplish this, we will host community health fairs, provide clinical services and oral health education to pregnant women, children, the elderly and other population groups in Tirasses and surrounding communities. We need your help. Donate Now to help us raise $25,000!  

The purpose of the global grant is to provide the clinic with medical equipment and supplies required for daily clinic operations. 

To make a pledge to this project please click here.

Need more information? Check out the Light-up a Smile website by clicking here.

To download our tri-fold brochure, click here.

Interested in participating as a Volunteer in the March 7 thru March 10, 2019 Healthcare Fair? Complete the volunteer application here.

Volunteers Needed

We’re calling all medical care volunteers including physicians, nurses, aides,  techs, dentists, dental assistants, dental hygienists, administration volunteers, or students aspiring to work in the dental and healthcare fields. 

There’s a volunteer project that needs your skills and passion for helping others!  Healthcare in general and Dental health in particular is often critically under-served fields in many countries, and Costa Rica is one of them. 

You can “ Be The Inspiration ” by joining in and making a pledge or donation to help fund this project. Your donation is tax deductible. 

If you or your club is interested in volunteering to work with us in Costa Rica,  March ?? to ??, 2019 please contact us at 214.995.1927 or Rotarysmiles@gmail.com to let us know. 

Costa Rica is by far one of the most adventurous places on Earth. The country offers unparalleled natural beauty, active volcanoes, rain forests, and a range of national parks, ecotourism and the best cup of coffee you’ll ever taste!   
Rotary Global Grant: GG1571  You can join us and travel to do Good!  “SERVICE ABOVE SELF “ COMMUNITY HEALTH FAIR Travel & Accommodation:  March 7 - 10, 2019  

All this at a crazy low price of $600 pp.             (deadline February 7, 2019) 

Roundtrip airfare courtesy of Southwest Airlines.
Tickets are limited on first come basis to members, their families, and volunteers who participate in the service project.
Stay tuned for Spring 2019 trips. 
Stay at Hyatt Place Momentum Pinares, San José: https://sanjosepinares.place.hyatt.com The Momentum Pinares is a 4.5-star hotel, which has a wide variety of restaurants and shops, and is located across from Walmart. 

Sponsors